The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 16, 2012, 11:30 AM   #1
SteelChickenShooter

Ruger Range Report

This morning I sighted in my new Ruger model 77 in 44 Mag. Man- what a punch! That dry dirt cloud at the berm, first shot, hole on center left and right, this little baby will take a deer no doubt at all. The 44 Mag really developes quite a lot of power out of this barrel. First shot was center L-R, but 5 inches high. I want it to be 3 inches high at about 80 yards. I run the Leupold 2-7 adjustment down and place some Winchester White Box 240 grain hunting loads pretty close to where I want to be. I then compared a couple Remmington 44 Mag shots, and they were on the money. The Hornady ammo was tried next, but it hit way too high for what I wanted. I'd have to sight in this rifle for that ammo alone. Both the Remington and the Winchester 44 Mag hunting rounds gave me every bit of what I was looking for after some slight tweaking of the scope. I did bring other ammo brands but did not shoot them. Maybe on another range visit I may try them. My purpose today was to simply dial it in good enough for deer hunting using some boxes of ammo I already have on hand. With my most favorable range results, I'd endorse this Ruger 77/44 with 2-7 Leupold to anyone interested in deer hunting with a pistol cartridge. Compared to the same rifle in 357 Mag, I'd favor this 44. It sure packs a well placed wallop! Very well pleased. I don't care for cammo. Mine is the plain black synthetic stainless steel. I combo I happen to prefer for my local hunting conditions.
Old June 16, 2012, 11:36 AM   #2
McShooty

Rifles in .44 Mag can be a lot of fun, and very accurate. I enjoy a Remington Model 788 in that caliber, and a 2-7X variable is just right for hunting use. Was the Hornady ammo that you tried the LEVERevolution 225 grain round? If so, that would explain the different point of impact.
Old June 16, 2012, 12:20 PM   #3
SteelChickenShooter

Sorry- no. The Hornady was the 240gr JHP/XTP #9085. My plan is to use the Winchester and Remmington hunting loads in the rifle since they both hit on target. I'd be happy to load the Hornady brand in my S&W model 29 44Mag revolver. I know it's a good round. I just don't want to dial this rifle in for them since I have a few boxes of others. They won't go unused since I also enjoy venturing out in the woods carrying a 6 inch hand cannon instead of a rifle or shotgun in certain places during deer season.