The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 11, 2006, 09:43 PM   #1
parrothead2581

NC CCW Questions

I will be taking the cocnealed carry class at Caliber's in Guilford County (where I will be applying as well) within the next few weeks. I know they will inform us of what we need to do with regards to getting the process rolling, but what should I expect beyond the application and the fingerprinting?
Do I have to go back to the dept to do anything?
Do I have to pick up the permit up in person or could my girlfriend or a family member do it for me or do I need to sign and/or pay for it when I pick it up? I should be in police academy when the background check is finished, so I won't really have a chance to get by and pick it up

Thanks!
Old June 11, 2006, 09:51 PM   #2
18DAI

When you finish the class at Calibers, Carl will give you a certificate and set of instructions. You need to make an appointment with the pistol clerk at the Sheriff's office downtown. When you go there you pay and get fingerprinted at the same time. Make sure the address on your drivers license is current. Then in 60 to 90 days the pistol clerk will call you, to come pick up your CCW card. You must appear in person to pick it up. It's good for five years. Hope this helps. Regards 18DAI.
Old June 11, 2006, 09:55 PM   #3
parrothead2581

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to know. When or how I'll be able to pick that permit up when I'm in academy is a tough one, but I'll figure it out. Maybe I'll get lucky and the office will be open until 6pm but I won't hold my breath on that one.
Old June 15, 2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Ares45

Keep an eye on the calendar. They never called me. I had to call them after waiting for 3-1/2 months.
Old June 15, 2006, 08:45 PM   #5
parrothead2581

Will do Ares45. Thanks for the advise.
Old June 17, 2006, 05:52 PM   #6
parrothead2581

I took the carry class today and I must say, aside from those dreadful videos, it was great! I learned much, and had a good time doing it. I'm thinking I'll get, to start with, a S&W 649 in a Kramer pocket holster with the Crimson Trace lasergrips. Then perhaps I'll move up to a 1911 or Sig P220 on a paddle holster or a S&W 686 on a belt holster. Can't wait to get the permit call!
Old June 17, 2006, 09:39 PM   #7
Dean C

Parrot,
Just reading your last post got me about as excited as you are. Your enthusiasm gives me the impression you will handle your soon to be real responsibility with great respect.
Be safe,
dean
Pro 2A Washington (Charter Member)