The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 13, 2012, 11:15 AM   #1
evilleprichaun

which one??

so im really wanting a revolver ive always loved function the reliablity and the simplicity of revolvers the only problem i can see concerning them is that i do not own one yet. im looking for just the right one to be my first

i dont have much of a specific purpose for it other than i want it, but it will problably end up being an "under the pillow" type gun for HD and a range gun, im looking for a .357 magnum but any other suggestions or appreciated

right now ive been looking at a smith and wesson 586 and 686 or possibly going all out on a python i just dont think i can justify spending that on a gun that i dont think ile want to ruin taking it to the range all the time. so im looking for either ideas or confirmation of one of those and opinions on reliabiliy and accuracy.

price isnt much of a concern

Last edited by evilleprichaun; November 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old November 13, 2012, 11:17 AM   #2
jmortimer

I would get a GP100 or the 686 in 4" barrel. Really no other choice in my mind. You can't go wrong with either of those.
Old November 13, 2012, 11:28 AM   #3
evilleprichaun

i definitely like the looks and feel of the gp 100 i was looking at them at the last gun show. i havnt heard as much about them as the 686 though would you say there problably on the same level in terms of reliablility or more or less?
and i like the 4" idea, i think whatever i get it be that
Old November 13, 2012, 12:05 PM   #4
MrBorland

Yep - 4" GP100, 586 or 686. If 686, my preference is for the standard 6-shot, rather than the 7-shot 686+

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilleprichaun
would you say there problably on the same level in terms of reliablility or more or less?
Rugers have the reputation for not having the fit& finish and smoothness of Smiths, but they respond very well to a little tuning. The GP100 is a robust design, and from a durability perspective, have several design elements that are better, IMO, than S&W. The interchangeable front sight on the 4" (but not 3") GP100 is a very nice feature, too. You'll likely have to pay a 'smith to swap out the front sight on a 586/686 - and if were my gun, that red ramp would definitely have to go.

That said, the S&W L-frame is a terrific gun. As my primary match gun, my 686 has seen lots of hard use, but it's been reliable and very accurate.
Old November 13, 2012, 12:10 PM   #5
bossman

I'd say a 4in. barrel Ruger, S&W or Colt would be a safe buy, new or used. Depends on what you want to spend and/or new or used.

Have you shot a .357 magnum? They're very loud and pack some recoil. I wouldn't really recommend a lightweight for your first .357 Mag. Go with an all steel as the weight will help with the recoil. I know a lot of folks buy the .357 and only shoot 38 spl in them, but that defeats the whole purpose of the .357 mag round. I like to shoot 38spl's in 38spl's and .357 mag in .357 magnums.

The .357 is a great round and good for self defense, range time, and all around fun shooting, good luck with your choice.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old November 13, 2012, 12:17 PM   #6
BigJimP

The S&W 686 model ...is certainly moderately priced / way less than a Colt - and a good solid long term gun - especially as a shooter.

I would at least recommend you also look at K frame S&W's ...like the model 66 ....or even an N frame like a model 27 or 28. The model 27's will rival the Colt Python, in my opinion, and are more affordable. The model 28 is a satin finish version of the model 27 and more affordable if you like that look.

In general....a 4" barrel on a K or L or N frame revolver...makes a nice defensive gun / easy to draw from a holster...../ where the 6" is a little tougher to get out of a holster ( but maybe better for a night stand gun / or a range gun - with the longer sight plane).

I'd suggest you go to a range and fire K and L (686) and N frame S&W's in both 4" and 6" ...so you can evaluate the size and feel of each - and pick what you like the best.

Colt Phython is a very nice gun ...but I personally like the triggers on the S&W's better ...and I'll take a really nice S&W model 27 over a Python any day - the S&W's fit my hands better than the Python as well. But what matters is what fits your hands - not mine / and which gun you like esthetically better ! Have fun with the process...
Old November 13, 2012, 02:09 PM   #7
skidder

I'm a k-frame/Six series guy. Less bulky and they balance a little better IMO

However, MrBorland made a good point about the interchangeable front sight on the GP. Right now we have a foot of snow and inserting a black sight on-the-fly is a real plus. My Redhawk has this feature and I absolutely love it.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old November 13, 2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Colt46

Why not .38?

Most casual shooters feed their .357's a steady diet of .38 Wadcutters. There are even decent .38 defense loads available now.
A perfect first revolver would be a Smith model 15(stainless version is the M-67 I think) with a 4" barrel. There has never been a better looking handgun and they are a perfect first handgun to learn on and master.

I have a 686 with 6" bbl and find it a little too big for me. A shorter barrel and smaller frame would be perfect for me.
Old November 13, 2012, 06:24 PM   #9
BigJimP

Maybe because I reload ....I feed all of my .357 mag revolvers ( K, L and N frames ) all full power 158 gr loads.....because that's what I like to shoot...and because it only costs me about $ 8 for a box of 50 its a relatively inexpensive few hours to take 6 or 8 boxes to the range with 4 or 5 revolvers...to shoot some tactical drills, etc. ( I do keep some .38 spl's loaded up, using the same 158 gr bullet, but mostly for the grandkids to shoot - or for training a new shooter...)....

I like revolvers ( S&W revolvers - and have about 25 of them ) about a dozen in .357 mag ( model 19's 4", model 66's 4", model 27's in 4" and 6", model 686's in 4" and 6" and model 28 in 6" ...and a nice Freedom Arms 4 3/4" in .357 mag as well). I think what you're seeing in this thread ...is each of us prefers guns that "Fit our Hands" ....and that we can't agree on a single revolver that meets our needs....if I could only keep 1 revolver, I'd keep my model 27-2 4" Nickel....( its one of the top 10 finest guns I own ).

I have a buddy that would never give up his 6" Colt Python....
Another buddy that loves his Rugers ...
Another buddy that loves his Colt SAA's in .357 mag....

It's a choice ---kind of like herding chickens...( we're all over the place)...
( and changing grips on a gun - makes it better or worse / for each of us ...Hogue rubber - with or without finger grooves, S&W target grips, S&W wood finger groove grips,.....and on and on .....we all have our favorites ).

Last edited by BigJimP; November 13, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old November 14, 2012, 08:51 AM   #10
evilleprichaun

thanks for all the good replys,
theres so many to choose from i think the best idea would do what big jim suggested and find a range thatle let me test out each of those frames , they all look good to me and i can only figure so much out from holding one,
and to bossman i actually have not shot a 357 magnum before i do shoot 357 sig and am comfortable with that and ive shot 38 special before,
also i have no problem with 38 special revovlers i guesss my thought process is if you can buy a revolver that will shoot 357 magnum AND 38 why not get that instead? i hope i dont upset anyone by saying that, thats just my own thought right now
Old November 14, 2012, 09:52 AM   #11
EdInk

I would get a Ruger 4" GP 100. I bought mine about a year ago and really like it. I got rid of the factory Ruger/Hogue grips and got a pair of the old style factory Ruger/Lett grips. I find the grips a lot more comfortable and stylish. They are slightly smaller though, so the gun doesn't feel as balanced (slightly nose heavy) but not really too bad.

In terms of fit and finish, I would say (comparing the current production stuff) Ruger and S&W are pretty equal. (S&W quality control has gone down and Ruger quality control has gone up.)

Currently, Ruger is selling a Wiley Clapp edition GP100 that IMHO is about the perfect configuration.
Old November 14, 2012, 12:11 PM   #12
BigJimP

Buying a gun chambered in .357 mag ...that means you can also shoot .38's in it makes perfectly good sense to me.

The only issue with shooting a lot of .38's in the longer chambers of a .357 mag ...is you'll get some carbon buildup after you shoot the .38's ...and unless you clean the gun thoroughly - that buildup might prevent you from chambering a .357 mag cartridge.

But to me, its no big deal, I clean my guns after every range trip anyway.

Have fun test firing a lot of guns !!

Some of my .357 mag revolvers...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...5&d=1339792625
photo isn't great ...but a pair of model 19's 4" Nickel at lower right, a pair of model 66's stainless 4" at upper right ...a model 27 6" blued at left ..and a model 686 6" stainless at upper left...