The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 1, 2012, 11:57 PM   #1
915A

New SR9c owner

So after a lot of research and more research , I chose the Ruger SR9c as my first handgun purchase. I picked up the Stainless slide version, even though they had an all black .40 that looked killer, I figured the 9mm would be a good place to start for both the wife and I. I won't be able to put some ammo down range until this weekend unfortunately, but I will put a few hundred rounds down for sure pending no issues. I chose the Ruger based off of several positive reviews, the fit and feel of it, the safety features, and because it fit the wife as well. Good way for us to spend some outdoor time together, and if she digs it I am getting another for sure. I will post up some pics ASAP. I already did a thorough cleaning, and surprisingly not a ton of packing grease especially in the Striker area. The only thing that worries me a bit from initial breakdown, inspection, and cleaning is the guide rod. So with that said, should I look at the Galloway stainless rod and spring? Well I guess that's it for now, and I will post up pics and definitely a range report ASAP. Thank you Rbid and CW for all your info and advice on this purchase.
Old October 2, 2012, 12:09 AM   #2
CWKahrFan

Cool!
Old October 2, 2012, 02:36 AM   #3
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
should I look at the Galloway stainless rod and spring?
Just shy of 400 rounds my stock guide rod and spring bent. I contacted Ruger who sent me out a new stock unit; however, I also ordered the Galloway Precision set up that same day. Installed the blackened stainless GP assembly and now everything is copacetic.

I personally really like the SR9c; as a general "kick around" and fun range gun; and it has a pretty decent out of the box trigger, is also accurate and just plain old fun to shoot!

YMMV

Now, go figure...
Old October 2, 2012, 06:29 AM   #4
dfsixstring

I love my SR9c. I love going shooting with it. As far as the guide rod goes, I have well over 1000 rounds through my SR9c and I see wear on it, but no failure marks. I did purchase a spare (less than $10) guide rod and keep it in my range bag.

All mechanical devices need maintenance and the wear marks on my guide rod don't bother me.

I recently shot a Sig P250 that, every time I put the mag in a popped the bottom of the mag to seat it, the slide would slam forward. When I asked the owner of the gun why, he just said it may be the slide lock was seeing wear. It doesn't matter so much the brand, they all wear in certain places.

RST4S
SR9c
LCP
Old October 2, 2012, 06:46 AM   #5
RBid

Congratulations . I'm certain that you'll love it!

I'm using the stock guide rod, but a stainless one certainly wouldn't be a bad grab. There are a decent number of aftermarket parts available for people into customizing. Sights, guide rod, trigger stuff (unnecessary, IMO), etc. Somekid made a YouTube video showing all of his mods. It was interesting, though that's partly because I see no need to change anything.

The polished chamber job looks sweeeeeet, though.
Old October 2, 2012, 07:19 AM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
The only thing that worries me a bit from initial breakdown, inspection, and cleaning is the guide rod. So with that said, should I look at the Galloway stainless rod and spring?
what about it bothers you?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 2, 2012, 07:55 AM   #7
915A

The end is plastic, and I noticed when cycling it, that it doesn't always sit straight or flush( if that makes sense) when the slide is returned to normal. I can move it with my fingertip, is that play normal?
Old October 2, 2012, 08:14 AM   #8
StainlessSteel215

915 I am happy that you picked the SR9c for your first pistol. It was my 3rd purchase and I really did like it. Eventually traded it up for my Glock26 but I would have absolutely kept it if funds were better.

I 100% agree and understand what you said about worry over the recoil spring & guide rod sitting kinda of loose against the barrel notch. Also the end of the guide rod has that small plastic washer that sits in that groove but doesnt sit flush...or tight. It looks cheap and leans forward over the top as if it will eventually break away from the spring. It wont.

All I can say is despite worrying over the appearance of that, it should never cause any issues. It just looks and feels awkward. My new Taurus 809 has that same situation but Ive learned to ignore it. I am used to glock where everything sits in tight and snug....but obviously these manufacturer's calibrated the parts that way on purpose. Dont even worry about it unless you DO have a cycling issue some day.

ENJOY THAT GUN ITS A GREAT PISTOL!
Old October 2, 2012, 08:27 AM   #9
Bob M.

Review SR9c

Here' a Hickok45 review on the SR9c. He likes it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT1q1C_PnIY
Old October 2, 2012, 08:28 AM   #10
915A

Here is the first crappy pic, I will get some more later
Old October 2, 2012, 10:04 AM   #11
Fishbed77

Quote:
I recently shot a Sig P250 that, every time I put the mag in a popped the bottom of the mag to seat it, the slide would slam forward. When I asked the owner of the gun why, he just said it may be the slide lock was seeing wear.
Plenty of brand new guns will do that to. It usually means you're slapping the bottom of the mag too hard.
Old October 2, 2012, 10:37 AM   #12
wbw

Congrats on your new pistol.

I love mine and it will be my carry gun if Maryland ever becomes 'shall issue'. I do carry it when in neighboring states. I bought it for that purpose. I have other guns that I actually like better and that feel better in the hand, but the size and weight and the trigger of the SR9c were what I wanted for a carry pistol.

Hope you enjoy yours. Let us know after you shoot it.

Old October 2, 2012, 12:53 PM   #13
915A

Thanks for all the congrats guys. I dont see myself trying to accesorize the SR unless its needed. I may try the stainless guide rod(for piece of mind), but in no rush too. And maybee FO or Night sights, but no rush for that either. I just want to shoot it and enjoy it, and know that if needed I will have something for that situation I hope I never have to encounter. I a, trying to go shoot sooner than later, but will post up as soon as I do! I picked up a few boxes of PMC Bronze and Magtech(at the shops recommendation) so we will see.
Old October 2, 2012, 01:12 PM   #14
vito

What made you choose the 9 over the 40? I am looking at the SR40c as a potential carry gun, and while I am basically a 45acp guy, the 40S&W round seems like an acceptable SD round, while the 9 mm reminds me too much of a little 380.
Old October 2, 2012, 01:24 PM   #15
915A

Ammo price, I am familiar with a 9mm, and because it will work well for my wife as well. I definitely want to try a .40 or .45 down the road, but went with what I know for now. But the .40 was very tempting!

Last edited by 915A; October 2, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old October 2, 2012, 06:12 PM   #16
CWKahrFan

Yo Vito... The SR40c is a GREAT carry and HD gun for me. I just ran another box of hot SD loads through mine a few hours ago and it was hugely satisfying.
Old October 2, 2012, 08:34 PM   #17
lee n. field

Quote:
Thanks for all the congrats guys. I dont see myself trying to accesorize the SR unless its needed. I may try the stainless guide rod(for piece of mind), but in no rush too. And maybee FO or Night sights, but no rush for that either.
That's wise.

Quote:
the 40S&W round seems like an acceptable SD round, while the 9 mm reminds me too much of a little 380.
Oh, caliber wars.

This guy's numbers seem to indicate, once you get over .22, .25 and .32, the effectiveness spread isn't as significant as the gunboard sturm und drang would make you think.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "