The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 19, 2005, 08:58 PM   #1
BigSlick

Shiny clean primer pockets and inside of the case

Hi guys,

I went to the local gunshow over the weekend and picked up a few bags of rediculously cheap once fired 45 ACP brass.

It was processed, with primers punched out, any AMERC, or mil crimp cases culled out.

I got into it tonight and am amazed at how clean this brass is. The primer pockets, inside the case and everywhere else is shiny new looking.

I have tried the IOSSO, Birchwood Casey, vinegar chemical cleaning methods and have had mediocre results at best. The outside comes out pretty clean, but the primer pockets and inside the case still has carbon deposits on it.

I generally use TufNut in the Lyman Turbo for a few hours to get things looking good and ready to load. I clean primer pockets with the RCBS Trim Mate (great time saver).

With the Tufnut/Tumbler/Trim Mate or the chemical cleaning methods I still have never been able to get the inside of the cases and primer pockets shiny clean and looking new.

I know this isn't essential to a good reload, but I am trying to figure out how the guy selling the brass got it so clean. I called him and he is one of those smart-aleck types (great prices though) that seems to get a kick out of having a 'secret' to getting brass so clean. In short, he isn't telling.

With all the wealth of experience and knowledge I have found on this site, I figure one of you may have a recommendation, or know this idiot's 'secret'.

Can someone help me out here ?

Thanks

BigSlick
Old April 19, 2005, 09:46 PM   #2
cheygriz

I'll just betcha that he washes it in a concrete mixer with liquid Tide and warm water. That's a great way to clean brass. The best, IMHO)

Some pholks throw in a couple of ounces of phosphoric acid per ten gallons of water and that does a great job, but the thought of using any kind of acid on my cases gives me the "willies" so I just use water and Tide.

And I no longer have a concrete mixer, so I use a Thumler's model "B" rotary tumbler. Warm water+Tide+ 20 minutes tumbling time= bright shiny brass.

At least, it works well for me!
Old April 21, 2005, 09:42 AM   #3
LotI

Change media

From personal experience...change your tumbling media. I used Lyman and found that the Frankford Arsenal untreated media has a finer grind that gets into the pockets better and doesn't get stuck in the flash hole nearly as much. The Lyman does clean a little faster, though.

I add a couple of capfuls of Flitz and they come out shiny with reasonably clean primer pockets.