The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 15, 2009, 11:05 PM   #1
yggorf

1911 kits?

I think I may take on the building of a 1911 from a kit. Who makes good kit components (esp. frame and slide) these days? I glanced through the Brownells catalog and didn't notice any kits, but did see alot of parts. Many times the same part is offered by numerous makers - Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Cylinder and Slide, STI, etc. etc. Is there a maker that is generally deemed the highest quality or best?
Old December 16, 2009, 04:07 AM   #2
10-96

I don't recall seeing any kits for sale. However- I may have a feasable idea. You can pick up just about any of the used Phillipine or Turkish 1911's, then detail strip them and go back in with purchased innards.

The reason I say this, is if you ever come across a partially finished frame and slide (SARCO used to sell these) you will need a fairly well equiped machine shop to properly finish one out to spec. According to Kuhnhaussen's (sp) book, I would say with confidence that basic hand tools will not come close to getting even a 90% finished frame and/or slide up to 100%. This is way more important than it may superficially seem. For instance, if you don't have the bbl lugs properly mated to the slide with correct timing- your pistol could fire fine for 1000 rounds until the lugs shear with very little pre-warning. Also, there are snags, hangups, and boogers that can catch you way off guard. I am currently having the dickens of a time getting my extraction/ejection woes ironed out. And to be honest, this ordeal may in fact lead directly to my personal neurotic breakdown and cause such things as excessive drinking, cursing in front of womenfolk, and eating un-buttered grits!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old December 16, 2009, 07:29 AM   #3
mega twin

UN-BUTTERED GRITS??!!??
Isn't there a help line you can call,man??
Old December 16, 2009, 07:46 AM   #4
CowTowner

Quote:
UN-BUTTERED GRITS??!!??
Isn't there a help line you can call,man??
Thank goodness he didn't say un-salted as well.

10-96 is correct though. You'll need more than basic hand tools to build a kit 1911. SARCO does still sell these "45 Auto Builder's Kits". Go here: http://www.sarcoinc.com/
And scroll down until you get to the links for the shotgun news ads. Page 4 of the Dec. 10 ad (Page 73 in SGN )has the kit listed.
Or try this link to get the .pdf directly http://www.sarcoinc.com/12-10-09_1-13.pdf
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old December 16, 2009, 09:23 AM   #5
yggorf

This article (http://how-i-did-it.org/1911-project/index.html) details one person's experience with the Sarco kits, so I wanted to avoid those.

I do have a mill and lathe, so can do some machining when needed.
Old December 16, 2009, 09:42 AM   #6
Casimer

Fusion has kits with the major cuts already performed - http://www.fusionfirearms.com/