The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 20, 2009, 05:41 PM   #1
zeeter

Mossberg 590A1 SPX Problem!

Hey I just took my new 590A1 SPX for the first shooting/break in and I encountered some problems. I'm hoping to get some feedback. Not sure if this was caused by my own errors or something else. And btw, I did clean all the factory gunk out using gunscrubber and then I CLP'd it.

I replaced my stock mag spring with a Wolff 590 8+1 spring. I also replaced my stock follower with a hi-viz S&J follower (which I know lowers the total capacity by 1, so 7+1).

The spring seems to bind up when I load it, it doesn't do it every time. Does it kind of randomly, but it does it a lot. I have to screw off the mag cap and pry off the spring retainer to fix it. Well when I took it shooting this happened and I didn't really have any tools with me to fix it, but I tried anyways. The problem is I lost the Wolff spring and spring retainer cause when I pried it off, it went flying into the woods lol. No idea where it went. I spent about 20 minutes looking for it and then I gave up.

Is the Wolff 590 spring compatible with the 590A1 SPX? Did I do something wrong to make it bind up, because I thought the whole point of getting the new stronger spring and new follower was to eliminate bind up issues. I still have the stock spring which I'm gonna use for the time being, and I guess I need to call up Mossberg to get a new spring retainer. I know this retainer isn't a necessary part, but I would still like to have one. Does anyone know of any retailers that sell this part? Or would I be better off trying to get one directly from Mossberg?

Any advice or suggestions are highly welcome!

Thanks,
Stephen

UPDATE:

I just installed my factory spring and factory follower and loading seems fine...no binding.

I'm wondering if I either installed the new parts wrong or if there is a defect somewhere.

UPDATE #2

Wow....I might just be retarded. The new aftermarket S&J follower I was using has a "spring guide". I guess this means that I actually need to make one end of the spring fit over this "guide" correct? Maybe this was the problem :/

Hopefully someone will confirm this.

Last edited by zeeter; June 20, 2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old June 20, 2009, 07:37 PM   #2
MAX100

Quote:
Wow....I might just be retarded. The new aftermarket S&J follower I was using has a "spring guide". I guess this means that I actually need to make one end of the spring fit over this "guide" correct? Maybe this was the problem.
I agree.

If the spring is pushed out over the side of the follower it will bind. I prefer the metal followers because this isn't a problem and they allow the most room in the tube.

Mossberg did away with the older tapered end springs they were using. The newer shotguns should have the higher quality mag springs Mossberg is now using. They look like Wolff springs and probably are.

GC
Old June 20, 2009, 10:00 PM   #3
zeeter

MAX100,

Yea, the springs did look similar. What do you think would be the best way about getting a new spring retainer?
Old June 21, 2009, 12:48 AM   #4
MAX100

Quote:
What do you think would be the best way about getting a new spring retainer?

You don't need it and you will have a little more room in the tube without it.

If you want one, Mossberg will probably send you one.

If you want a higher quality follower Vang stainless followers work well in the 590 shotguns.

GC