The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 30, 2005, 11:48 AM   #1
Sum1_Special

customer service for the jennings j-22

i typed this in the saturday night special forum at the glocktalk boards, but seeing how not to many people go there i will post it here aswell. no gun bashing guys.

"""hey guys,

i just bought a broken, old, worn out jennings j-22 from a friend for $5. i remember reading how good bryco/jennings arms customer support was, but the company in California has long been out of business. iirc they moved to nevada and are now called 'Jimenez arms'. i want to send my gun in for repair, but will the new company take it? i assume because they make the same pistols they would repair it but then again considering they are a different company they could just as easily refuse service because its not their problem anymore. does anyone know the company's email or contact information?(preferably email because i dont want to get stuck with the long distance charge )

oh, and i also heard the new company has failed some sort of saftey test, are they making even crappier handguns than before? """

I want to ship the gun off soon but i just cant find what i'm looking for!
Old May 30, 2005, 01:46 PM   #2
Davis

The easiest way to get out of honoring a lifetime guarantee is to go out of business and then re-open as a new company. The original entity does not exist and with its death goes its warranty.

MKS did it, Hi Point has made a mastery of doing it (though they may honor Haskell/Beemiller/etc made guns, I cannot say), Lorcin, etc.

Davis
Old May 30, 2005, 01:54 PM   #3
cuate

Jennings J-2

Son, we all buy what we can afford and I hope nobody flames you for your purchase. I think maybe you might post the problem with the pistol and perhaps somebody can help you, the Jennings Company out of business isn't doing you much good. There is a spot here on TFL about gunsmithing and fixes and I would venture there.

Your $5 purchase might have been a good one or one buying a fishing sinker but it isn't up to we posters to put you down. Hang in there and move on.............
Old May 30, 2005, 03:33 PM   #4
railroader

You might want to try and fix it youself. There are places to get parts. If you ship it off and you have to pay the shipping it's going to cost you more than the gun is worth. Most places make you ship overnight and if you get stuck with shipping charges both ways it could easily cost you $50. What's wrong with it? Mark
Old May 30, 2005, 03:40 PM   #5
denfoote

Railroader has a point.
In addition, the cost of just the parts themselves may be more than the gun is worth!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old May 30, 2005, 03:42 PM   #6
Zekewolf

Don't listen to these snobs. Fix that fine pistol yourself. Might I suggest that you acquire a ballpeen hammer?
Old May 30, 2005, 03:47 PM   #7
Sum1_Special

i got 2 guns from him for $5. a phoenix arms raven and a jennings j-22, he had little respect for either and didn't care what happened to them(gun snob ) he didn't bother to clean them and he had no problem throwing them around and using them to practice his gun tricks. he got tired of looking at them and gave them to me, i offered him $5 so i would not owe him a favor(frankly, i dont like him too much ). the raven still has a lifetime warranty and i can get it replaced no problem . but bryco is out of business and other than putting a considerable amount of money to get it working. i doubt it would work but maybe i could reason with the company to fix it or give me a new one. i have managed to reason with companies and got what i needed in the past. but it seems Jimenez doesn't even have a damn phone!

while i am waiting for responses i will try google or the yellow pages.
Old May 30, 2005, 03:48 PM   #8
tintcutter

The safest thing you can do for yourself is destroy that pistol.

(If its a fact it is not bashing)

Run rounds through them and they leave dents on the primer. Your legs are prettier now than they will be with a bullet in them.
Old May 30, 2005, 07:21 PM   #9
Sum1_Special

uh... tint... what the hell are you talking about ?

i have bought a jennings back in 1998 and i dont remember putting a hole in my leg... but your right they do leave dents in the primer... after the firing pin has already slammed forward and fired the round.

honestly, i think some of you guys have been sniffing to much of the anti's fumes .

i did say no gun bashing didn't I? I know exactly what i have in my hand, no need to remind me its a SNS. so far the only people that have actually contributed to the thread are cuate, Davis, railroader, and denfoote.

I regret selling my old one so i will try to get this one to shoot again. if I get in contact with the company and they will fix it i will send it in, if not i will just wait for a gun buyback, either way i'm not throwing this thing away .
Old May 30, 2005, 07:37 PM   #10
railroader

It sounds like you haven't shot them. Clean them up good and get some decent ammo to try. I use to have a j22 and it worked most of the time, as for ravens I never had one but from what I have heard they were pretty reliable. Mark
Old May 30, 2005, 10:13 PM   #11
Majic

Exactly what is wrong with the pistols? Maybe we can help you in finding parts and get them up and running. Or at least tell you if it's worth the effort.
Old May 30, 2005, 11:41 PM   #12
yorec

Sounds like you should contact he company's current incarnation. Even if they won't honor the warranty they may be a source of instruction and/or parts.

I've got a J-22 and, though I wouldn't ccw it or trust it all too muchfor reliability or accuracy, it is a pretty fun lil plinker.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:20 AM   #13
Joint/Strike

Bryco Arms

Bryco Arms Customer Service
(714) 755-0182
380 Clinton St
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

From what I can tell, this information is current..
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own dwelling, his goods are safe." -[B]Luke 11:21
Old May 31, 2005, 07:37 AM   #14
Zekewolf

I'd like to amend my previous recommendation. Buy a cheap ballpeen hammer. You wouldn't want to leave potmetal residue on a nice ballpeen hammer.
Old May 31, 2005, 08:08 AM   #15
-RotorDemon-

Hehe.. a neighbor has one of those J22's he said its not reliable. I said whatever, lemme take it and plink with it.

about ever 2 rounds it would stovepipe, it would always fire, then it started double firing.

Thats when I unloaded it and set it in the case and walked away.

I suppose in good working condition it would be a decent BUG
Old May 31, 2005, 01:18 PM   #16
baby74879

bought for $5?

If you bought the Jennings for $5, my friend, you got screwed, blued and tatooded. Don't bother sending for repair--Just JUNK it!!
Old May 31, 2005, 10:24 PM   #17
D-Ric902

Hey, everybody here shoots something. Don't let anyone bother you I had a Jennings 380 and it actually was a decent fun gun. Get some of the CCI .22 that are stronger than a normal 22lr (I don't remember the brand name) so it will cycle better and have fun with it.
You can probably find a good gunsmith to play around with it and make it fairly decent. If not what are you out 5 bucks and the attempt, worth it to me.
Old May 31, 2005, 10:29 PM   #18
Gazpacho

Wait for one of those gun-buy-back schemes to spring up near you. They usually give $50 to $100 for a handgun. Use the money to buy a couple of hi-caps--oops, sorry, standard-cap magazines.
Old May 31, 2005, 11:11 PM   #19
Sum1_Special

quit dissing the jennings, damn it!

for gods sake. buy one, file down and polish the feeding ramp, top of the magazine, and some of the rough spots, take out the safety, buy a brick of cci stingers or mini-mags, dont leave a round in the chamber and the gun is as good as any other .22 pocket gun... without a safety . the gun is good enough for me. it ain't a colt or smith & wesson bit its well worth the $5 bucks i spent for it. oh and you can get rid of the stove piping by using hotter ammo to push the slide back all the way, like hyper velocity. i also noticed that hypervelocity ammo tends to grind down rough spots and breaks the gun in faster.

i'm reluctant to pay the long distance fee just so some idiot can tell me i'm screwed, hell, i'm getting that here for free . thanks for the post Joint/Strike but the info isn't current, they moved to nevada years ago.

this gun is basically in junk shape. cracked and chipped grips, dents in the slide, no finish left, broken firing pin, the rifling seems to be fine but there are a few more problems inside i dont know about, the trigger is broken for some reason. the parts at www.e-gunparts.com are overpriced, $20 for a new slide, $9 for grips, $9 for a firing pin, and $15 for a magazine. thats more than the gun is worth. i'd rather duck tape the grips and file down a nail to make the firing pin . its either the manufacturer or a new gun parts site that could help me out.
Old May 31, 2005, 11:23 PM   #20
jonathon

I think a I got a Jennings Model 38 in my sock drawer.... can't remember where its at now that I think about it, don't really care.
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!