The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 4, 2001, 05:46 PM   #1
Gary H

Baikal Rules

I really enjoy finding a gun that cost little and does a lot. I just took out two new O/U 20 ga. shotguns and shot some clays. It was my third time shooting clays and my first time shooting the Baikal and the Fabarm. The heavier grip on the Fabarm made it a better gun for my large hands. The Fabarm retails at about 3 1/2 times the price of the Baikal. Both shot flawlessly and I did equally well. I made it really tough on myself by using a full choke. They were still breaking 20- 22 of 25. The clays were not only breaking, but turning into dust. Both swing easily, triggers seem to break nicely and both eject with equal ease. The Baikal is a bit easier to close. Now the best part is the Baikal cost $319 from CDNN. I had so much more fun than shooting the 12 ga. 1100 and I broke far more targets. I interpret that to mean that the 20 ga. guns fit me better. Amy gave them a try, of course the LOP was way long, but the real problem was that she could not close them. It's bad enough that I need to tension the trap spring, but I can't be locking her gun. The 870 pump should work great for her.
Old August 5, 2001, 01:46 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Glad it's working out for you, Gary. The one Baikal I've seen in action had a number of misfires.

THOSE 20 gauges probably fit you better, it's not a blanket thing. Enjoy....
Old August 5, 2001, 07:26 PM   #3
Gary H

I've read other posts regarding good and bad Baikals. One theory is that the newer ones are a bit better quality. I'm sure that this one was made on a good day. Anyway, it is nice to see that there are lower priced alternatives in O/U.
Old August 6, 2001, 12:28 PM   #4
Tropical Z

Baikal does rule! My IZH-18 is amazing and i can't believe the price i paid!
Old August 7, 2001, 07:16 PM   #5
contender4040

Know of two owners of baikals' in my area. both of them (.410 & 12ga) had to be returned when they started doubling. Service was reportedly good as they were returned quickly.