The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 5, 2012, 05:01 PM   #151
arch308

I'd have to say my Bond Arms derringer. Sort of fun to shoot but the trigger was a horrible 20 lb pull and after playing with it couldn't really find a use for it. It wasn't really a POC, just useless to me. Traded it for an old S&W .357.
Old August 5, 2012, 09:57 PM   #152
Boatme98

I guess I've been very lucky. There hasn't been a single firearm in 30 years that I could say I regreted buying.
If you want to talk selling though....
Old August 6, 2012, 11:09 AM   #153
loose_holster_dan

taurus 24/7 pro compact
the taurus pt-917c was a close runner up
the s&w sigma would have taken the cake, but i bought it from an individual and didn't fill out the form.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old August 6, 2012, 08:49 PM   #154
JimBobTX

I love the looks of them, but...I got two of the new Colt Combat Elites that had terrible slide to frame fit and weren't all that accurate either. I bought the second one thinking the first was a fluke. It wasn't...the second was worse than the first. They sure looked good though.
Old August 9, 2012, 02:31 AM   #155
akguy1985

probably a taurus tcp .380
Old August 13, 2012, 02:43 AM   #156
Nail Shooter

Colt Combat Commander. Beautiful gun, felt good in the hand but did not run reliably. Traded it on my first Glock. I am happy.

Nail
Old August 13, 2012, 04:23 AM   #157
South Park

Two Star Firestar 9mm's, both of which would jam and double-feed with any ammo, including brand-name FMJ's, even after being "repaired" by a gunsmith.
Old August 13, 2012, 10:17 PM   #158
Marred

Raven Arms MP-25 $39.99 NIB. This sucker jammed so much you could spread it on toast.
Old August 14, 2012, 08:01 PM   #159
Toemoss

Taurus TCP .380
FAilure to eject every other round till I filed down the ejector.
Still fails every 50 rounds or so now, don't trust it.
Old August 16, 2012, 10:44 PM   #160
Pointshoot

Taurus Raging Bull 454 - - at the time I knew nothing about revolvers. (Just semi autos when it came to handguns.) Terrible timing, terrible trigger pull, would randomly misfire on different cylinders. I took it to a noted revolver smith in the area and he said there was nothing he could do for it.

A few years later I picked up another Raging Bull with a shorter 5" barrel and its been a good gun. I also bought a 41 Mag Titanium Tracker and that has also been a good gun. Those are all of the Taurus guns I have owned. Now I'd rather just get a S&W or Ruger. Less time & headaches involved.
Old August 19, 2012, 08:06 AM   #161
testuser

EAA Witness Match...single action auto.

Magazines were junk and the manual safety would disengage if you pressed the trigger enough. I sent it back to the importer for repair and experienced the same problem with a new safety. Pulling the trigger shouldn't disengage the safety!

I traded it at a loss for a CZ-75B.

The Witness is junk. If you're looking for a 10mm, buy a 1911 or a Glock, otherwise, get a CZ!
Old August 19, 2012, 12:14 PM   #162
Toney

The db9!!!!
Old August 19, 2012, 02:36 PM   #163
IA7.3

Sig mosquito! Piece of garbage! Traded for a ruger 22/45 and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
Old August 19, 2012, 04:27 PM   #164
Chuckusaret

Two, a new DB380 and used Glock 22. The DB failed to eject every round fired and was returned to DB. The repaired weapon experienced the same problem. The Glock Kaboomed.
Old August 19, 2012, 05:35 PM   #165
orionengnr

First handgun I ever bought, a used Rossi M-68(?)69? back about 1982.
Cylinder would un-latch and move open about 1/8" after each fired round, and when you attempted to pull the trigger for the next shot, nothing happened.
Slap the cylinder closed and repeat the process...
After trying to fix it on my own (changing ejector, springs, pins, etc,) a 'smith told me it would cost more to fix than it was worth.

I took a six-pound sledge hammer to it and got my satisfaction (or vengeance). Then I tossed it in a lake. Since I did not fill out or attach a Proposition 65 warning (this object uses XXX, which has been proven to cause cancer in everything on God's Green Earth), I am probably in violation of one or more California statutes...good thing I have no plans on returning.

I have bought others that cost a whole lot more and performed equally poorly...several Colt 1911s, four Kel-Tecs, a Charles Daly (RIA/Armscor) 1911, and a Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm that, had it been a cheaper gun, would have gone the way of the Rossi. Instead, I kept spending money on it until it was fixed (thank you, Ken Crawley and Dave Severns) ...I have no plans on selling it, partially because I need to at least have some good times with it to balance the expenditures incurred...
Old August 19, 2012, 05:57 PM   #166
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Ruger LCP. I bought it for pocket carry. I've found that the only gun I can pocket carry is a NAA 22lr without feeling like I've got a brick in my pocket. I have too many other options for IWB carry. Not to mention that it would shoot about 10-15 times before it started ftf. I never figured out the ftf problem. I included it on a trade just to get rid of it because I had no use for it.
Well I can understand maybe getting a lemon. However it has been very rare hearing of a problem with anybody's Elsie Pea. What is really interesting is your feeling that it is too cumbersome to pocket carry. The LCP is almost universally considered an extremely easy to carry, almost unnoticeable pocket pistol.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 19, 2012, 06:26 PM   #167
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Beretta 92....... It shot low and to the left. Had to send it back to Beretta. Got it back and the barrel had been changed. It shot great but would not feed hollowpoints reliably. It found a new home fast.....
Old August 19, 2012, 07:44 PM   #168
9mm

Quote:
Years and years ago....Taurus PT145 Millennium..Complete garbage.
Friend has one, its his carry gun. Only 200 rounds or so through it....

Quote:
What is really interesting is your feeling that it is too cumbersome to pocket carry.
wow!

Are you wearing gym shorts? I wear gym shorts and carry IWB Glock 19 with a belt under them.

I never found the LCP "heavy" to carry. I have a revolver which is the resident to my pocket, and sometimes a Glock 26.
Old August 21, 2012, 08:01 PM   #169
Black_Sheep

Cobray Street Sweeper Shotgun. I've seen cap pistols with better actions...
Old August 21, 2012, 08:19 PM   #170
9mm

Quote:
I know, I have an entire collection of Bryco's. I won't go near such junk as a Taurus or Ruger.
I have a Taurus 94 and a Ruger LCR-22 both I enjoy, but really enjoy the Taurus 94. Nothing wrong with it.
Old August 22, 2012, 02:24 AM   #171
DunRanull

Location: Southern Colorado, where a small working knowledge of southwestern Hispanic culture is considered polite.
A .40 cal Hi Point. Fired it a few shots, it jammed, took it back to the shop and got something else.

Last edited by DunRanull; August 24, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old August 22, 2012, 08:00 PM   #172
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Fired it a few shots, it jammed, took it back to the shop and got something else.
WOW, what an in depth, and fair evaluation of a firearm. I guess if you had a Sig, FN, Browning S&W, or Kimber that jammed within the first few shots you would run back to the gun shop to replace it as well.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 23, 2012, 09:55 PM   #173
Boyle06

My worst purchase was a Smith & Wesson model 17. it was a beautiful looking 22 caliber revolver I purchased new in 1990. the first time I took it to the range I had multiple misfires. I thought it could be the ammunition I was using and tried other brands with no improvement. To make matters worse, my old Harrington and Richardson 22 would shoot everything I put in it without a hiccup, including the ammo the Smith was having problems with. I sent it back to Smith and Wesson three times but they never were able to fix it. Ultimately I sold it with full disclosure at a loss and went with a Ruger Single Six. My H&R is still in my gun safe and shooting great, I guess price does not always mean better
Old August 23, 2012, 10:40 PM   #174
Mark In Texas

S&W 5904 - A reliable gun but not accurate at all. Even fired from a rest, I would get very large patterns. Traded it (and some cash) for a CZ-75 PCR. Most accurate gun I have fired.
Erma Excam .22 Walther PPK copy. Not very reliable.
Early model CZ-100 that I rented. Trigger felt like it would go all the way to the rear of the trigger guard before the gun would fire. That was my intro to striker fired guns and it put me off them until I bought a XDM .40 last year.

My Taurus input: Taurus 738 - failure to feed, failure to extract and the action felt gritty. Sent it back to Taurus, got a new gun 3 weeks later that functioned flawlessly for the 50 rounds I fired.
Old August 24, 2012, 05:49 PM   #175
DunRanull

Location: Southern Colorado, where a small working knowledge of southwestern Hispanic culture is considered polite.
Cheapshot, I don't think the dealer was too upset over my returning it, as I gave him a lot of business. Ive been subjected to several Hi-Points since then and have seen NOTHING to change my mind about them. The thing wouldnt shoot an entire mag without stove-piping or FTF. It was sent back to the factory per warranty and I moved on to a Smith in the same .40 S&W. AS to the rest of it, Ive never had a Colt, Browning, Smith, Luger jam without it being a used up extractor/ejector OR a bad magazine. The difference between working on a quality weapon and a cheap throw-down is night and day. Which of course you probably know already. Or not.
Closed Thread

Tags
cheap , gun , hand gun , pistol