The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 6, 2013, 01:14 PM   #1
ripnbst

Looming restrictions and value/price of 1911

What is everyone's take on how the looming restrictions will affect 1911 prices and values?

I'd like to get one, and I could get it now, but I'd rather save a little more first. If buing now means I save even $200 then I'd prefer to buy now.

The reason I ask is 1911's will seemingly be unaffected by the restrictions (should they pass) with the exception of some double stacks. The demand for them will likely go up so would I be wise to buy one now and not when the demand (and presumably price and value) rises? Should I re-allocate funds and buy two now to sell one later after the legislation passes and I can then have the one that I wanted all along for what is effectively significantly less money?

Where is everyone's head at regarding the value/price of pistols unaffected by the looming restrictions as they relate to what I have stated above?
Old January 6, 2013, 03:22 PM   #2
lockedcj7

I think you'll be fine to wait. There is, and will be for the foreseeable future, a mad dash to buy military style rifles with a smaller bump for 10+ capacity handguns.

At present, my LGS has no military style long guns but plenty of Glocks, XDs, etc. Sales are up and the ammo shelves have lots of bare spots but the patterns don't make any senses. (Who panic-buys .35 Remington?)

If a ban is passed, 1911's might be a go-to choice but that won't make them rare or more expensive like the black guns. However, you might be able to get a good deal on one now from somebody looking to free up cash for an AR.
Old January 6, 2013, 05:07 PM   #3
tgreening

Looming restrictions? Why is it that some people speak as if this battle has already been lost and a ban/restrictions/limitations are a foregone conclusion?
Old January 6, 2013, 05:11 PM   #4
Silent Bob

I wouldn't get too comfortable about the 1911 being "safe" from future legislation, Feinstein's AWB 2.0 is after handguns with detachable magazines (the new buzz word is "assault pistol") and several blue states like Illinois and NY are already trying to push semi-auto bans. Apparently the left has finally realized what semi-automatics are and now have them squarely in their sights.

I urge to take a few minutes and write your congressmen if you have not already done so.
Old January 6, 2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I wouldn't get too comfortable about the 1911 being "safe" from future legislation, Feinstein's AWB 2.0 is after handguns with detachable magazines (the new buzz word is "assault pistol") and several blue states like Illinois and NY are already trying to push semi-auto bans. Apparently the left has finally realized what semi-automatics are and now have them squarely in their sights
+1. No semi-auto that can accept a detachable magazine is safe.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; January 6, 2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:07 PM   #6
chris in va

I guess a DA revolver would be considered a 'semi automatic' as well under the general description.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I guess a DA revolver would be considered a 'semi automatic' as well under the general description.
Don't give them any more ideas Chris.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:59 PM   #8
BigJimP

I don't think any of us can guess where prices will go ...or how, if at all, a 1911 may be affected by any potential ban...

.... but none of my 1911's - even in a 9mm version, have mags over 10 rds ...although you can get some long after market mags that make little or no sense to me, in a 1911, because they really change the feel of the gun. But there are certainly a number of companies out there making 15 rd, or more, mags for a typical 1911 in .45 acp....that might be affected by the potential ban.

I think you should buy a 1911, if that's what you want...and enjoy it and shoot it ...but I wouldn't recommend you buy a 2nd one, unless you want a 2nd gun ..../ not that you shouldn't make a buck - if that's what you want to do --- but I don't think there is any guarantee the prices on 1911's in general will be going up ...and there are all kinds of 1911's out there...the lower end guns from RIA and others ---- the mid range guns around $ 800 - $ 1,250 from S&W, Sig, etc....----the higher end guns $ 1,250 - $ 2,000 from Kimber, etc....--- and the semi-custom guns from Wilson Combat, Ed Brown from $ 2,500 - $ 5,000 or so ..../ so how do you pick a category of 1911 --that you think might go up the most ...??? I don't know ....maybe the low end guns will increase a lot ...who knows..../ maybe its the mid-range guns that will be in high demand...???

Many of us have more than one 1911.../ I'm not suggesting you shouldn't buy whatever you want.....but speculating...is speculating .../ in my opinion, buy what you want to shoot, and you'll be a lot better off !
Old January 7, 2013, 07:01 PM   #9
MLeake

I really wish that even 1/4 of the people spending hundreds or thousands on panic buy guns would have donated to NRA-ILA, SAF, etc, and spent their shopping time on writing to elected officials...
Old January 7, 2013, 07:02 PM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

So, the idea is that the 1911 will be spared the worst scourges of the inquisition because it only holds 9 rounds? Guess again.

Of course, if one really cares about the issue, perhaps that person could get involved in stopping potential bans instead of indulging in fatalistic navel gazing and price speculation.
Old January 7, 2013, 07:07 PM   #11
BigJimP

I actually bought one of those drum mags for a .45 acp 1911.../ ...just as a joke ....and to have some laughs......

.....and while we had some fun with it ..../ its too funny to see the photo you put up of it ..../ but yes, those are out there too !! ...and I have it sitting on a shelf, to give away as a "gag gift" one of these days....to one of my buddies...
Old January 7, 2013, 08:08 PM   #12
AKsRul.e

If you have decided on a specific model gun - like a 1911 ,

it would be VERY PRUDENT to buy a good supply of magazines
immediately if the price is fair.

If the Gun Control fight goes south , EVERYTHING may be
scarce and expensive for quite a while.......
Old January 7, 2013, 08:47 PM   #13
BerdanSS

the 1911 would most likely BE affected as on of the big low key goals is to slick talk in a ban that covers any weapon formally adopted by the military and or police....because "civilians have no reason for, or business owning any kind of military weapon"