The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 18, 2004, 02:32 AM   #1
loki_pittman

Reloading Literature

I would like to begin reloading due to accounts of it being cheaper and can allow for more accurate ammo. This being said are there any suggestions on any books or web sites that will lead me in the direction of proper reloading skills?
Old December 18, 2004, 09:20 AM   #2
Thirties

If you have a public library in your area, that's a good place to start.

The best single manual, in my opinion, is the Speer Manual #13, available form shooters' supply companies.

If you can find an older copy (NOT the new one) of the NRA Reloading book, that's very informative.

Another book called "ABCs of Reloading is worth a read, but not worth buying a new copy.
Old December 18, 2004, 10:27 AM   #3
m0ntels

Lyman book has nice pictures to go along with everything. Cartridge history is nice too. RCBS's website also has an illustrated step by step somewhere. Lyman has a good shotgun loading book too if you're doing that. I got one but havent gotten that far yet. Still reading my centerfire books over and over. Depending who's equipment you will be using, the Lee book may be good for you. No pics really but if oyu got the equipment there it reads well.

Randy
Old December 18, 2004, 10:38 AM   #4
eka

Loki,

The Speer and Hornady manuals are both very informative. Get one and read it through a couple of times before getting started. You will then be able to begin safely and with some confidence.

Good luck!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Old December 19, 2004, 11:03 AM   #5
CaseyC

Congratulations, you're going about it the right way. Buy reloading manuals (notice the plural ). Buy several manuals from the bullet/powder/equipment manufacturers. Also other publications (Reloader Digest, ABC's Of Reloading etc.). Also, you can buy older manuals (ebay). Read them! Then ask questions on forums like this one. Then you can get a better idea of what kind of equipment to "invest" in and techniques/componets you would like to use. The initial investment of reloading equipment can cost some money--but pro rated over time, can save money.
But a word of warning!; If you get "hooked", a guy will never stop buying equipment, gizmos, accessories, more gizmos, etc. But you can produce high quality ammo custom tailored you firearms .

Casey
Old December 21, 2004, 02:48 AM   #6
loki_pittman

I have always been told by those close to me that you get out of any one thing only as much as you put in. Thanks for the tips I have just got the ABC's of reloading and a copy of Understanding Firearm Ballistics. I hope these will put me on the right track. By the way Casey I think I will most likely get hooked. My first gun (remington .308 mod 700p) has since been accompanied by an array of 3 different shotguns, 5 pistols, and a .22lr rifle (and this is all in the last 9 months).
Old December 22, 2004, 01:34 PM   #7
hivel37

The manuals by P.O. Ackley, though not current for their load information, contain a ton of stuff that any reloader will find useful. How to adjust the resizing die, his experimentation with the light calibers, etc. Reading his material is remindful that this addiction is nothing new.
Old December 26, 2004, 10:00 PM   #8
Dogjaw

Quote:
I have always been told by those close to me that you get out of any one thing only as much as you put in. Thanks for the tips I have just got the ABC's of reloading and a copy of Understanding Firearm Ballistics. I hope these will put me on the right track. By the way Casey I think I will most likely get hooked. My first gun (remington .308 mod 700p) has since been accompanied by an array of 3 different shotguns, 5 pistols, and a .22lr rifle (and this is all in the last 9 months).
I'd look into buying a Dillon 550B press if I were you. It will handle your pistol and rifle needs with one press. You'll really want a progressive for pistol, because you'll shoot so many more rounds. Dillon's press manual is also step by step.
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old December 27, 2004, 05:49 PM   #9
drinks

Starting

Loki;
It is best to start out slowly and simply, buy some manuals, Lyman, Lee second edition, Hodgdon are good for beginners.
I really believe anyone should start out with a single stage press, clean all brass by hand, deprime in a seperate operation, prime with a hand primer and , most importantly of all, look in each case after each step.
Of course, use the correct type of primer ,do not use rifle in pistol or vice versa, and of course, NEVER have more than one powder can open and on the bench at a time.
Write everything down, keep a 3 ring or spiral bound notebook at hand and write down everything, write the powder type, weight and bullet type and weight on a slip of paper and place it in the box or baggie with the loads. Take it to the range with you and write down the results as you shoot each group.
As soon as you can, get a chronograph, not expensive,several are less than $100, this is the difference between night and day,as far as getting real info about your efforts.
Pay attention, do not reload with wife, kids, friends or relatives around, go hide in the basement or shop or a closet, do not get distracted, this makes for LOUD noises and expensive things happening.
Have fun.
Don