The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2013, 12:17 PM   #1
A pause for the COZ

Any one Copper plating bullets?

Been pulling my hair out trying to get a good cast load for my AR 5.56mm.

Slow enough to get a accurate load is not as reliable operating the action as I like.
To get reliable operation I have to over speed the cast. 1400 fps or so seems to be the sweet spot for my 1 in 9 twist rate.
I have a couple loads that are close and I will still keep after it.
Experimenting with slower powders and Poly Fill.

But I am also interested in learning some copper plating.
I need to learn the basics first and do some small scale trials.

If they shoot well enough I would eventually like to learn Barrel plating a few hundred at a time.

Any one got some links or info?
Old December 1, 2013, 01:08 PM   #2
Valornor

I've looked into doing this and have decided it's not worth the time or risk. Getting a copper plating that is 3 thou thick like what Berry's has takes some chemicals that are A) deadly and B) near impossible to get.

There are some youtube videos out there on people who have tried copper plating. They do get the bullets to be platted but my under standing is the plating is only a few tenth of a thou thick. That's no really thick enough for a pistol let alone a rifle.

There is a thread going on in the Cast Bullets section of the forum that is taking about epoxy coating and Powder Coating cast bullets. That has been the most promising looking DIY jacketing aside from investing about 3 grand into swaging jacketed bullets. I would give them a read. I'm going try it for my cast loads.

It also can be noted that people are driving these PC coated bullets to rifle velocities and having success. I think it's overkill on a cast bullet todo so. It exceeds the tensile strength of the lead and it just ends up creating a less accurate bullet. However they report no leading and seem to be happy so who am I to rain on their parade.

Looking for a new blog dealing with firearms and reloading, check out http://theheadstamp.com/
Old December 1, 2013, 01:48 PM   #3
jmorris

I did a while back. Only did one batch and had the polarity backwards. Also tried powder coating and Hi-tec coating. I still use the coating from Bayou bullets.

Copper coating and powder coating thread

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...bullet+coating

Bayou bullet coating thread.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...bullet+coating
Old December 1, 2013, 07:10 PM   #4
A pause for the COZ

Thanks for the Input. Do you know what kind of velocities you can get with those coated bullets?