The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2001, 12:19 PM   #1
FlyboyAZ

Reloading 308 brass

I have seen some cheap boxer 308 surplus ammo for sale at a very resonable price, about $80 for 1000 and am wondering if this is poor quality. It is even a good price if just for shooting but I am unsure of it's reloading quality. I understand some of it is US and Israeli make. Is all brass made equally or is some boxer stuff just not worth reloading?
Old October 22, 2001, 12:36 PM   #2
Bruegger

I don't think you'll get too many answers without giving more details on the brass you're talking about.

I know that Southernammo is selling 1000 round cases of 7.62 NATO "dinged and tarnished" US & Israeli milsurp ammo for about $80. I got some and it shoots just fine. Some of the brass is a bit tarnished, but it's totally reloadable. It's all boxer primed and noncorrosive. You need to swage or ream out the military crimp and use loads for military cases.
Old October 24, 2001, 12:08 AM   #3
FlyboyAZ

Thanks

Bruegger

yes that southernammo stuff is what I am talking about. I have never dealt with crimped brass before. Is it hard to fix? If it has to be reamed out doesn't that take a bit of the neck length off or is it a very minimal removal? About the ammo that you bought. Was it the tarnished and dented ammo or the better stuff for $100. Also, I have looked at their page and I can't find a place to order online. Did you have to mail in your order?

On a more techinal note. Do some companies make better brass than others? Do some casses last for more reloadings than others just because of the manufacturer?
Old October 24, 2001, 05:53 AM   #4
griz

The crimp he is talking about is on the primer. After normal decapping, you either have to cut the crimp out or swage it out. If you don’t the crimp prevents you from seating the primer correctly. They make reamers specifically for primer crimps but I have done thousands of cases with a countersink cutter in a drill press. If you run the press on slow speed it’s fairly easy be consistent. Several companies make swaging tools but I haven’t used them. One day I hope to get the one from Dillon.
As far as brass quality of different brands: there are differences but you can even get variations in different lots from the same maker. Everybody develops favorites but sometimes they contradict each other. I wouldn’t worry about it too muc