The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: What do you drive?
Manly, 4X4 cuz nothing else will do. 77 41.62%
2 Wheel drive truck cuz insurance is too high otherwise. 48 25.95%
Regular old passenger car cuz my wife has the truck. 34 18.38%
Big Wheel 12 6.49%
JEEP. Because everything else is just sucks. 14 7.57%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 28, 2002, 07:21 AM   #1
jrsower

Is what I've always suspected true?

I've often theorized that those people in society that own and carry handguns are more than likely truck owners. I really do think there's some sort of correlation there. So let's find out.
Old June 28, 2002, 08:28 AM   #2
Ceol Mhor

I spend my money on guns...the only vehicle I own is a bicycle. 'Course, I do have access to my parents' cars...
Old June 28, 2002, 09:05 AM   #3
abrahamsmith

Well, there is probably a correlation, since people who live in rural areas are more likely to own guns. Also, I know of people who bought large trucks specifically to comfortably carry hunting dogs to NAVHDA competitions. Then there are the people who buy trucks to pull fishing boats, ATVs, etc.

For my part, I drive a 1990 Honda Accord with about 120,000 on it.. great little car. Hopefully it will last me through graduate school until I can afford something nicer.
I doubt I'll own a truck for a very long time, since I never really need to tow anything (knock on wood.. my motorycle is being reliable again). I also drive rather aggresively[*], and the high chasis and loose suspension of a truck just isn't suited to that sort of driving. More likely, I'd buy a 4wd car with a large trunk to carry plenty of ammo. (Hmm.... maybe an Audi A4 Quattro in woodland camofluage with a winch and KC lights?.. hehehe)
[*] not aggresively toward other drivers -- aggresively towards the ROAD.
Old June 28, 2002, 09:06 AM   #4
Rovert

None of the above, for many reasons, not thet least of which is because I'm a bachelor.

I drive a Dodge Intrepid ES, because it was the idea balance of performance, economy, looks, comfort, and price; for my job as a sales rep. And, until just recently when I sold it, I also owned a 1986 Jaguar XJ-S V12 as my 'weekend' fun car.

I didn't buy a truck, because it is overpriced (expensive now 'cause they're "fashionable" since being called SUVs), lousy on gas, miserable to drive in terms of handling (topheavy), unsafe in bad weather due to their greater mass making them more difficult to control in a skid (despite the advertising-induced "zoom-zoom" misperception that they are somehow magically glued to the road by the 4 wheel drive), a PITA to park when I go to the city, offered no real practical benefits to me over a sedan, and a danger to others, if I were to get into an accident, because it causes more damage to whomever I were to hit.

Bet you're sorry you asked.
Old June 28, 2002, 09:12 AM   #5
Jesse H

You'll have to add another option for those of us that don't drive trucks or boring passenger sedans.
Old June 28, 2002, 09:31 AM   #6
Betty

Runt-sized pickup for me - 1991 4.3L Sonoma. Cars just don't "do" anything for me, especially sports cars (classics are fine) or "luxury" cars.

I do love big ol' muddy 4x4 trucks jacked up on the big tires (not the fancy sissy ones that never leave the pavement)- those are so HOT.
Old June 28, 2002, 09:32 AM   #7
jimsbowies

Mustang Convertible

Don't want no truck or Urban Assault Vehicle....and I tote "iron"...always have and always will...
Old June 28, 2002, 09:50 AM   #8
BigG

No, I don't fit the profile and I garontee I got handguns!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old June 28, 2002, 10:15 AM   #9
C.R.Sam

None of the choices
Do pack.

Sam
Old June 28, 2002, 10:25 AM   #10
tag

1999 Nissan Maxima SE
1997 Mazda Miata STO

Never have, never will own a truck or an Urban Assault Vehicle. Nope, guess I don't fit the "gunny" profile either. I carry every day and own numerous guns.

Personally, I think its good that not all gun owners are camo-wearing, truck-driving, Skoal-dippin', dog kickin' rednecks.
Old June 28, 2002, 10:26 AM   #11
trapshooter

I've got a trash-hauler (beater 4x4 p.u.), an SUV (also 4x4, my bride's ride), a 'coupe', (for the kid), and then, there's my personal favorite. (Some might call it a 'Big Wheel', but I don't think this is what you meant).
Old June 28, 2002, 10:28 AM   #12
Handy

I thought it was a fashion fau pax to carry HK weapons in anything but a BMW, so I bought a 3 series.

I've mostly owned sportscars.
Old June 28, 2002, 10:34 AM   #13
trapshooter

Let's try this again...

(I thought it might be wise to smudge the plate). And, yeah, I own a 'few' handguns, among other types.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg short.jpg (87.6 KB, 201 views)
Old June 28, 2002, 10:43 AM   #14
Mr.Wingshooter

Truck for hunting, Vette for fun

I love my truck a 2001 Sierra 1500 Ext. Cab 4x4, but it sure is a lot more fun to drive sportscars, its kinda hard to powershift my truck. When I used to pull up to the range in my 300ZX people would look at my wierd. However, it is much easier to hunt out of the truck, and I can't justify haveing two vehicles, I'm just to tight with my money.
Old June 28, 2002, 11:03 AM   #15
DMK

Nissan 200SX SE-R --> 30MPG even when I beat on it!

I do drive my Jeep YJ (14MPG) to the range though. It's on a long dirt road and my lowered Nissan doesn't like that very much.
Old June 28, 2002, 11:23 AM   #16
Christopher II

I'd like to have an old beater truck as a second vehicle (for hauling loads, etc.) But other than that, trucks do little for me.

I like sport compacts, old muscle cars, and motorcycles. For the moment, I drive an ancient, POS Civic. It works, and costs me nothing.

And I do carry.

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old June 28, 2002, 11:59 AM   #17
CWL

Nope. No correlation.

People generally drive what they can afford and need for the area they live in. Your friends and the people you socialize with will generally like & drive similiar vehicles.

If you were a bus driver, you may tend to think everyone drives a bus.
Old June 28, 2002, 12:30 PM   #18
Hemicuda

As my name implies, I have (and drive occasionally) a rare, hi-performance muscle car...

but my preferred daily driver is a '96 Dodge Ram 4X4... it has creature comforts in spades, but it also has brute torque to get me whereever I wanna go...

I alsohave an OLD, rusty, and not super trustworthy Jeep CJ-7... it's a family heirloom and a play toy...

my daily driver for work is a 95 Saturn SL-1... I got it heavily used for 800 bucks... promptly sold the "boom-boom" stereo out of it for the initial purchase price..., it gets 33 mpg, with the AC on... so toolin' around detroit all the time doesn't break the bank, nobody would steal it, and were it totalled in an accident, I am out literally NOTHING!

but again, the '96 Ram 4X4 is my preferred daily driver... so, "only a 4X4..." is the one I picked!

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old June 28, 2002, 01:09 PM   #19
Pappy John

Four wheel drive is great for getting you stuck where no tow truck can reach you.

Yeah, 4x4 '96 Dakota with the 318 cid V8. Gotta haul my bass boat to the river with SOMEthing. Bought it new with all the available bells and whistles and plan on keeping it till the wheels fall off. Wifey's got a creampuff '92 LeBaron convertible with only 62K on it. It pretty much lives under the car port from October to April every year. Its a blast in the summer though.
Old June 28, 2002, 01:15 PM   #20
ronin308

I drive a 4x4 GMC Jimmy 4 door. When I graduate I want to get a German car, probably an Audi S4. And yes, I do carry.
Old June 28, 2002, 01:16 PM   #21
Legionnaire

'98 Ford Ranger 4x4 (and an '89 before that). Not because it's "manly," though. Rather, it's small enough to work as a commuter vehicle, but the 4x4 gets me home during snowy upstate NY winters. Works great when deer hunting, as well. I've never gotten it stuck ... but carry a comealong just in case!
Old June 28, 2002, 02:11 PM   #22
mattjoe

aww come on, add in another option for sports car or luxury car. Neither are boring old passenger cars.

Before I bought my Caddy STS i had more money in guns than anything else. Once i finish paying a Glock a month car payments, I guess more of my money will be in the Caddy.
Big enough trunk and back seat to take a good pile of guns to the club.
The only truck i'd ever want is one of those nice NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series racing trucks.
Old June 28, 2002, 02:21 PM   #23
m.i.sanders

Have an old truck I drove for years, but I now drive a Civic, great on gas, and the whole family fits in it.

"How can something seem so plausible at the time and so idiotic in retrospect?"
-Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes
Old June 28, 2002, 02:41 PM   #24
King

3/4 Ton Chevy 4 wheel drive, 2 Harley Davisdon's and at least one gun at any given time. I reckon that's the Texas way......
Old June 28, 2002, 02:46 PM   #25
h_tolley

I drive a Saturn , but it's just for comuting and getting parts. If I need to haul something in a truck, I have plenty of neighbors who will loan me theirs for a spell.