The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 13, 2013, 11:55 PM   #1
toolguy2006

Glock 19 Gen 4 issue

I was cleaning my Glock 19 the other day, and notice that the striker safety plunger looks as if its "peeling". I know that sounds weird, but its about the only way I can think to describe it. There definitely appears to be something like a chrome plating peeling off of the plunger.

I just noticed over the weekend, so I haven't been able to contact Glock.

Has anyone heard of an issue like this?
Old January 14, 2013, 08:09 AM   #2
Tactical Jackalope

It's not an issue. It's a new gun and its breaking in maybe? How long have you had it?

Like when barrels lose their finish after time? Similar thing. Remember. Explosions are happening inside that gun every time you squeeze the trigger.

A pic would help a lot though.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:16 AM   #3
lyodbraun

Its nothing to worry about, just wearing the metal into the worn stage and will be fine, if it bothers you, get a new one they are cheap to replace, or take it out and use some flitz on it and polish it up to a bright shine ...
Old January 14, 2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Mtn Biker

I don't think it should be flaking or peeling. The contact spots should shine up and that would be normal. Post a couple of pics if you get a chance.

VL
Old January 14, 2013, 09:26 PM   #5
jfrey

Mine did the same thing. Looks like it is peeling around the edges. Took out the old Dremel tool and some polishing compound and fixed it right up. It's not serious but if it bothers you, you can replace it with one from several sources without sending the gun back to Glock. That would be cheaper and take a lot less time.
Old January 15, 2013, 01:15 AM   #6
toolguy2006

Thanks everyone for input so far. I'll get a couple of pictures up as soon as I can figure out how to transfer them from my phone to the forum.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:16 AM   #7
Officer's Match

I think that Glock has changed the metal in some internals to plated parts which sometimes shed their plating. Much as it pains me to say this, I think Glock has cheapened their quality - plated parts, MIM extractor (real mistake here), no more Tennifer.