The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old August 24, 2000, 02:41 PM   #1
PaulTX

I may have the opportunity to go wild hog hunting in the near future. I don't think we'll have any dogs. Any tips on hunting these would be appreciated.
Old August 24, 2000, 03:29 PM   #2
DorGunR

PaulTX,
I have not been hog hunting in over 30 years but I strongly suggest that along with your long gun you also carry a large caliber hand gun.
It's hard to climb a tree while carrying a long gun and if a hog trees you without a hand gun you just might get stuck up there all night.

Happy hog hunting.

------------------
"Lead, follow or get the HELL out of the way."
Old August 24, 2000, 03:33 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

You need Rob to tell you about his killing a hog with a knife. The story is in the TFL archives, I think...

Art
Old August 24, 2000, 03:57 PM   #4
PaulTX

I'm going to be carrying a Marlin 1894P - it's almost as handy as a pistol! I don't have a .357 or .44 mag pistol, so I was thinking about carrying my 9mm - not a first choice, but should have some pentatration.

[This message has been edited by PaulTX (edited August 24, 2000).]
Old August 24, 2000, 04:05 PM   #5
HukeOKC

PaulTX, just make sure Rob tells you about it and you don't decide to try it yourself. A boar can rip you to shreds with his tusks and if you see one coming at you, DON'T TRY TO SHOOT IT! Just run up a tree and get out of it's way.

I used to hog hunt down in the swamps of NE Texas. It is a real adrenaline rush to be on the ground about 15 yards from a Boar rooting around in the mud. If you go to www.bowhunting.net they have good hog hunting stories on there right now.

Look for trees with mud scrapes on the side which will be real close to a wallowing hole. They love that. And a boar will clean his tusks on a tree too. That's where you will get a good idea of the damage they can do.
Old August 24, 2000, 04:08 PM   #6
HukeOKC

I would think again about the 9mm. We used to hunt them with a 30/30, 00 buck, or shotgun with slugs. Those wild pigs are pretty tough and a 9mm may not have the kind of knock-down you are looking for. I've seen em take a shot of 00 buck and still not ever find them. No blood trail, nothing.

[This message has been edited by HukeOKC (edited August 24, 2000).]
Old August 24, 2000, 04:23 PM   #7
PaulTX

HukeOKC,
Thanks for the information. I was just going to take the 9mm as backup only, loaded with hardball. The primary weapon will be an 1894P Marlin, 44 mag, and will probably have some 305 gr. Cor-Bon pentatrators. In the Marlin that should give me somewhere around 1,700 fpe at the muzzle.

I've never been around the hogs in the wild - I've read enough to give them a great deal of respect! What if there is no tree to climb?
Old August 24, 2000, 11:28 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

PaulTX: Repeat after me, "Our Father..."

For some, raw terror can focus one's attention to a fantastic degree! Just remember to shoot, not merely crank unfired rounds through the rifle. That does no good whatsoever.

Always work the wind, and move slowly and even more quietly than you think you can. Walk softly a little ways and wait. Repeat until something good happens.

Mid-day, they lay up in thickets, but where they can get some breeze. Not mutually exclusive. Evenings, they'll move to water. If you sit and wait, consider the wind...

FWIW, Art
Old August 25, 2000, 11:57 AM   #9
HukeOKC

PaulTX, Good deal on the 9mm. I actually never carried a back-up but that was because I didn't own a good handgun at the time. I would certainly do so now though.

Art is rigth on the "no tree" deal. LMAO. You will probly trip over yourself if you try to run but you won't find many hogs in a no tree area anyways. They like to keep cool and not be out in the blistering sun. So you should have plenty or trees around you. I got winded by a boar when I was about 20 yards away and he just snorted and ran the other way full steam ahead. He hit the river so hard I thought he had knocked a tree down. Hog hunting is fun though that is for sure and the meat is so lean it's truly worth it. My step-dad told me that the Boar meat down in our area was so nasty that there was no need to take them. We just hunted for sows. I have heard of lots of hunters taking boars though so it may have just been in my area. I don't know. You probly should ask someone in the area where you will be hunting.

Will you be hunting with dogs or anything. We had a blue tick that we thought was retarded. We tried to work with him but all he wanted to do was tackle you and lick you to death. My step-dad gave him to a hog hunter and he turneed out to be the best hog-dog in the area. He was suddenly worth quite a bit of money and the new owner wouldn't take a penny for him. I was glad for the dog though, When I left he was kept on a chain all the time. My step-dad had no idea what he was doing.
Old August 25, 2000, 03:25 PM   #10
PaulTX

Unfortunately I don't anticipate we'll have any dogs, it would be a lot of fun to work with them.

I've never had wild hog meat, so it will be a new experience if and when I get one of the suckers in my pot.

Okay Art, I'll make sure there is "kick" in between lever actuations! If my first hog is very close when I see him, I may be shooting my Marlin like those guys do at the cowboy competitions (ie. like a semi-auto).

I just got back from the range where I shot the Marlin 1894P again and chronoed a few more loads. A 44 in a carbine is very impressive! If a hog can stand up to one of these well placed rounds, I don't think I'll get past "Our Father. . "! :-) The recoil on the Marlin is quite pleasant. You know you're shooting something, but you can shoot 20-30 rounds with no soreness at all.

My Granddad used to raise and train birddogs. Unfortunately I came along later in my parent's life and missed out on some mighty fine quail hunting in Arkansas.

Thanks for all the good imput!
Old August 25, 2000, 04:18 PM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've hunted some in the Appalachicola River bottom swamp country around Blountstown, Florida. Beaucoup hogs, there.

The younger shoats are the prime targets for most folks. These weigh, commonly, no more than 50 pounds. Tender critters. Boars are tough; sows are left to produce more shoats.

If eatin'-meat is your first concern, I'd suggest keeping an eye out for the young ones.

FWIW, I saw a photo from a South Texas ranch, of a sow which weighed 549 pounds. Now, that's by-golly big! Another of a boar which weighed around 450.

I saw one hog--and never got a shot--up in the Davis Mountains that was easily 30" high at the shoulder. He looked to me to not weigh a full 300 pounds; I'd guess 200 to 250.

Have fun!

Art
Old August 25, 2000, 06:00 PM   #12
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

450 lbs? Geez, that'd be enough meat to feed me all winter!
Old August 27, 2000, 11:06 AM   #13
Randy Garrett

Check out Glen Voorhees' huge Argentinian/Russian boar taken with the 45-70 in Argentina a couple years back at http://www.garrettcartridges.com/5.asp

Best regards, Randy Garrett www.garrettcartridges.com
Old August 27, 2000, 12:54 PM   #14
huntschool

If you are huntig south Texas or Texas in general below Austin you are shooting Feral hogs.

These ain't no Russians.

Arts comments are correct. If you want met shoot something in the 60-70lb class. (Art: I know 338's can do the job)

They don't take a bunch of killing. We usually ride and find a bunch and then look them over and pick out a "tasty one".

.223-.270 is plenty of gun and don't bother with the extra weight of a side arm.

I take about six or more a year. Wife and I both like the meat.

I really enjoy the way we hunt them. They will come to feeders like your deer do. Be paitent and pick a "tasty one" One shot in the ear or behind the sholder, high, will put pork on the ground.

Good luck

Huntschool
"single shot shooters only shoot once"

[This message has been edited by huntschool (edited August 27, 2000).]
Old August 27, 2000, 04:10 PM   #15
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

I hope I am misreading what you wrote. You do not bait the hogs with feeders do ya? If that's the case, I don't call that hunting. I hope I'm wrong.
Old August 27, 2000, 05:23 PM   #16
BadMedicine

I think what he's saying is that the hogs naturally come to the cattle feeders, kinda like deer will naturally visit cattle salt licks.
Old August 27, 2000, 06:44 PM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

ArmySon, you can regard hog hunting as a sport, and it can be as difficult and fair-chase as any other type of hunting.

Given how many wild hogs there are running loose, it is equally legitimate to merely harvest one for its meat, regardless of method. Remember, for many farmers and ranchers, they are nothing more than incredibly destructive pests.

They tear up fences, and will kill lambs and kids. (For the city-slickers who've stumbled in here, a kid is a baby goat.) It doesn't take a large bunch to really tear up a cornfield in one or two nights.

Back in the late 1960s and in the 1970s, more than one rancher of the general area around Leakey, Texas, set trip-wire dynamite traps at known hogs' fence-crossings. This was occasionally a bit rough on coyotes and javelinas...

As usual, Art
Old August 27, 2000, 09:52 PM   #18
BadMedicine

If anybody happens to have a video of what art was desribing above "hog's fence-croosings" please send it to me, I would pay to see that
Old August 28, 2000, 03:09 PM   #19
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

BadMedicine, sheep and goat fence is four-foot high mesh wire, with one or more strands of barbed wire on top. The crossings are underneath, where the hogs have rooted out a little washed-out spot. I have even seen deer use them.

One year on our deer lease, a trapper caught a young four-point in a snare at one of these "crawl-unders". A buddy of mine and I tied the deer's feet, undid him from the snare, tossed him in the back of the truck, and hauled him to camp. "Well, whadja find?", someone asked. "A little buck." "Where is he?" "Right here," I said as I undid the calf-roping-style clove hitch and let the deer leap into the group...Deer camp is fun!

, Art
Old August 28, 2000, 04:02 PM   #20
BadMedicine

Sheep and goat fences I've seen, I was refering to the trip-wire dinomite
Old August 28, 2000, 04:24 PM   #21
LoneStar

Art,
Now I would definately pay to see that! Thanks, now when I'm sittin in my deerstand this year I just know I'm gonna try and figure out how to get a live one back to camp - we've got a whole pack of jokers, but that would take the cake.

Deercamp is Fun!

-L
Old August 29, 2000, 12:55 PM   #22
BMiracle

Art, despite what the picture from Texas said (don't know who was trying to pull this one off!) the Texas state record for a feral hog is 375 pounds. If those two hogs that you are referring to were REALLY that big (549 and 450 pounds) and documented in a photo, how come they were never validated as a state record holder? Anyways, if you have ever seen a 375 boar, it is HUGE! The ones I have seen are only around 200 pounds and they will still pucker your arse!
Old August 29, 2000, 01:52 PM   #23
ckurts

Hope this doesn't get you riled up, ArmySon, as you seem to have a definite idea of what hunting should be, but lots of meat hunters (like me) down here in Texas shoot game from stands overlooking feeders. I know some folks consider this to be slob hunting, but it makes for good game management and herd thinning. Game is larger and healthier.

Also- you likely wouldn't be able to stand the smell of the meat from that 450 lb hog. I wouldn't shoot one for meat that ran more than 125 lbs. The rule I usually follow is the hog should be no more than knee high at the shoulder. What I do is check out a few prickly pear clusters in my stand area for calibration to knee height. Works for me. I've found a nice little deer gut pile will draw hogs in like a charm, but you need to keep your eyes open for predators.
Old August 29, 2000, 02:43 PM   #24
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

From what you guys stated, it sounds like you have an over-abundance of hogs in your area. If that's the case, there's no quarrel on my part with your hunting methods.

I'm just so used to the stalk, wait, stalk, wait, stalk, wait, shoot around here.
Old August 29, 2000, 04:14 PM   #25
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

BMiracle, the photos were probably from before folks worried about records. It was in the earliest days of some then-new hog-hunting society; sometime back in the '70s...I saw the photos in an ad in a newsletter-type hog-hunting magazine. The big one certainly looked like it could go well over any 400 pounds; I didn't question the claim to 549. (The odd-ball number just stuck in my mind, mostly because this sow outweighed the boar.)

Bad Medicine: Join the Army, go to Ordnance school--and learn all manner of fun things!

Lone Star: Position yourself in a tree stand so that if a deer walks underneath you, you can just jump on him and catch him! Just like calf-roping, but the deer is lighter! Oh, er, ah, where's y'all's camp?

Art

Closed Thread