The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 28, 2000, 09:29 PM   #1
dgang

I saw an advertisement the other day for the Lee Pro 1000. From what I could tell it comes with everything needed to start loading immediately, including carbide dies. I already have a RCBS single stage and all the dies, scales, powder throwers, calipers etc. that I would need to load with the progressive.I would keep these set up for my rifle and revolver hunting loads. The Lee would be used solely to turn out large quanties of .40 S&W ammo. My question is this, for the price of $129.00 with no tax or shipping is it possible to get a working and reliable machine? Or is the old saying "you get what you pay for" hold true here? I would appreciate comments and suggestions from people with knowledge of Lee or different manufacturers of progressive loaders. Thanks in advance and good shootin' to ya'. dgang
Old November 29, 2000, 11:33 AM   #2
Fred

dgang,

If you don't already know this, your question will start the age old debate of "Dillon versus Lee, Ford versus Chevy, etc.", but I'll jump into this hornet's nest anyhow.

I am a Lee 1000 owner. Been using one for a little over 4 years now, and have loaded about 12K to 15K rounds with it. Use it for 9mm, .38/357, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. I find it very easy to use, and to date, have had no major problems or breakage with it. You absolutely must keep the priming tray full of primers or the machine WILL jam at some pont when trying to insert a primer in a case. Then you will spend some time trying to clear the jam and pick out the errant primer. Other than that, I have had no problems.

One downside is that it is only a 3 station press. That may or may not be a consideration for you. Is the Lee as well built as a Dillon? Probably not. Will it last as long as a Dillon? Don't know. What I do know is that I have been able to load many 1000's of rounds the past 4 years that I otherwise might not have been able to. At the time I couldn't afford a Dillon, so went with the Pro 1000 from Midway for $117! Sure did buy a lot of bullets, powder, primers, etc., with what I had left over! Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old December 1, 2000, 02:50 AM   #3
manny1

I'm with Fred on this one. I compared the price of a Dillon in one caliber to 4 Lee 1000's in 4 calibers (38/357, 9mm, 45acp & 223). I've now had the 4 Lee's for over 5 years & loaded 1000's of rounds without any problems. I also bought a Lee single stage to size my 223 brass. All I do to change calibers is unloosen 3 wingnuts & swap them. I have a few buddies that have Dillons & they have broke a few parts thru the years, but they are a good quality loader, but too steep in price for me. Hope this info helps & good luck in your search.
Old December 18, 2000, 10:38 PM   #4
elmoh

Over the years I have used both the Lee and the Dillion, And I believe the Dillion is a better press. The Lees I have used had a problem with feeding primers, but other than that the Lees worked fine. I have 2 Dillions, I bought one Square Deal used at a local gun shop used for around $120, had a broken part, sent to Dillion and they fixed it like new, no question asked. The Dillion I bought new has never had a problem.