The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2006, 02:11 PM   #1
roc1

Magma Dillon Press Hi Point Guns

I want to say from the outset I do not own any HiPoint guns or do I intend to.I do own a Dillon press in fact have owned a couple of them.They are a great machine no doubt.My question is how come if the HiPoint is junk and made of potmetal,but the Dillon press is made of same material it is the greatest thing since sliced bread?Has anyone ever pondered that?I personally own several handguns from Sigs,Glock.Ruger,CZ,S&W,Colt,Browning<Beretta just to name a few and I think all are good.My personal preferences are Sig and CZ in Autos.Just like reloading to me Dillon and Hornady are my favorite.
Just a thought
roc1
Old December 31, 2006, 02:51 PM   #2
Rimrod

If Dillion came out with a plastic press, would you buy one?

Too many people knock cheap guns because of their quality or because their friends brothers girlfriends sons daddy had one that didn't work. Due to poor quality control it does happen more often than the high price guns, but with most of them the basic design of the gun is good and can be corrected. Once you get them tweaked they are just as deadly as anything else, although a little more bulky.
Old December 31, 2006, 03:15 PM   #3
jsflagstad

What does it take to do the job?

I own 4 Hi-Point firearms (Compensated 9mm pistol, 40 S&W pistol, 9mm Carbine and the 40 S&W carbine). I do not think that they are junk, infact I have found them to be very reliable, accurate, durable and fun to shoot. I own many other more expensive guns as well but I seem to shoot the Hi Points more. I have between 4000-5000 rounds through both of the pistols and have had no real issues that would cause me to consider them junk. The only issues I have had and the complaint that I most hear is if you do not correctly load the clips they will have failure to feed issues. With a few easy tweaks to the clips and loaded correctly, all of my Hi Points will drain a clip quickly and accurately if I do my part. If you visit www.hipointforums.com you can see that there is a large group of people on that forum that consider the Hi Points to be good value priced weapons. There is a guy on that site who looks to be a Glock buff and is a law enforcemant office and he gives the Hi Points his seal of approval. Hi Points are completely made in the USA and have a lifetime warranty. If you say that you will never own one because of what you have heard, then I would have to sat that you are missing out.

Back to your real original question. What material does it take to do the job? Would you buy diamond tipped nails to build your house with because they are harder? Or would the softer galvanized one do just fine for you as they work too? A tool head made out of potmetal? Sure I think it would work. How about a tool head carved out of a nice piece of billet? Probably would work too, but is it necessary? Would you want to pay extra for a billet tool head if you never really needed it? A handle or a lever on a press made out of potmetal? Probably wouldn't fair too well. Look at all of the Lee stuff that is made out of cast aluminum, those products always seem to serve their purpose well, or atleast I haven't had any issues with them.

Just my $.02

Now go get youself a Hi Point and have some fun....

JSF
Old December 31, 2006, 04:39 PM   #4
roc1

Let me make myself clear I do not condem the HiPoint i just do not want one from looks and egronomics only.I personally like the grip of CZ best of all.I was starting this thread to copmare what people consider junk in the handgun world to what they think is the best in the progessive press world.my whole point was meant to be if they both are made of them same material,what gives?One is called potmetal and the other is nearly worshipped?That is what I was trying to get at,was not trying to step on anyones toes by any means.I apologize if I offended anyone just wanted to know what is the difference?
Thanks
roc1
Old December 31, 2006, 05:39 PM   #5
jsflagstad

Roc,

I hear yah... Many have said that if they doubled the price of the Hi Points without changing anything on them that they would be more readily accepted. Basically saying that they are now better because they cost more.

Maybe this is the deal with the Dillon. People seem to believe that there is a "clique" of who follow Dillon and preach that everything else is junk. My brother buys products like this, he feels if he pays more his is better. Sometimes may be true buy a lot of time it's not. He still has yet to out shoot my Savage with his Weatherby. LOL...

No doubt Dillon is a great product. And I agree with your question on how come if something is junk because it is supposedly made of substandard material why isn't it true across the board? Well my simple answer is that people are SNOBS. It is great because it costs more.

My toes are fine, no offense taken and I didn't mean to come off that way...now go get a Hi Point and have some fun...

JSF
Old December 31, 2006, 07:59 PM   #6
roc1

Jsflagstad I hear you my Savage shoots as good as any rifle out there.I guess I just do not understand what the difference is between what is considered junk and what is good when both are made out of same material.
roc1
Old December 31, 2006, 09:34 PM   #7
ziggy222

my son has 2 cap guns made out of pot metal and they both broke after a couple days.

its been known for some time that savage is among the most accurate cheap guns.they skimp on looks to spend more time on accuracy.savage would never skimp on materials and or fitting.my brother bought a 9mm high point and says it hits a pie plate every time at 25 yrds and enjoys blasting amo from it occasionally.i've never shot it,but noticed it was very loose and the safety lever could be switched off just by lightly touching it,which made me a bit nervous.i never had a clue what it was made from.i do know that pot metal cannot be fixed if broken,not easily at least.it is a very involved process and does'nt always work,but at that price i guess you could just buy a new one if it chips.i'm certified in arc,mig,tig,gas welding among other things,i restore broken and worn antique motorcycle and car parts.to fix a broken peice of pot metal we either have to plate it in copper and then solder the copper together or if it needs more strength and if the customer has enough money,we make a mold and melt it back together.also if you drop it on the floor it will often break or shatter.thank god auto mobile makers have switched to using aluminum.
Old December 31, 2006, 09:43 PM   #8
ziggy222

sorry if i was a little harsh on high point.if it was for companies like high point and taurus and a few other cheaper brands making the big names compeat,it would cost thousands of dollars to buy a simple revolver.
Old January 2, 2007, 11:08 PM   #9
eldon519

I think it's worth noting they fulfill completely different tasks. Guns need to endure thousands upon thousands of psi repeatedly over time. They also get pounded on everytime you pull the trigger. Reloading presses don't deal with nearly the strains associated with firing weapons. I suppose you could have a Dillon frame forged or machined from solid stock, but it wouldn't offer much benefit and would cost a ton more.
Old January 3, 2007, 07:50 PM   #10
roc1

You are right about pressure until you load rifle and some rifle take a lot of pressure to load.I have had stuck cases even with lube and it takes a tremendous pressure to size large rifle cases.My point is the press can break.The Dillon is a great machine but it is still not made of steel.The Hornady is made of a lot better metal but both work ok.The HiPoint is made of same metal Dillon uses on their press.
roc1