The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 1, 2016, 03:20 PM   #1
littlephil

Factory plastic Blackhawk grips

Howdy all, I'm just wondering what the factory plastic grips on my Blackhawk are worth. This gun has exactly 50 rounds through it, 36 of which were from me personally. I'd like to get some wood stocks for it because I absolutely cannot stand these being checkered as they tear up my hand. I used a glove to shoot it and test some handloads, and I did get some decent groups. But the glove I had didn't fit well and was too thick in the palm area. I'm sure I could get better groups with more comfortable stocks, I don't really want to have to wear gloves every time I shoot this thing. Anyway, I'm just wondering what I should ask for the factory stuff when it comes off. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old May 1, 2016, 03:42 PM   #2
Pahoo

Many ways to skin this cat.

Phil,
You have some options here and I was in your shoes about three months ago, for different reasons. ....

1) Replace the existing grips and install a set of Hogues of Pachmayers.
3) Replace the existing grips and install a set of Ruger wood or Almonts.
4) Sand down the sharp peaks, buff and polish.
In the above options, retain original grips for future use. I went to a new set of Pachmayers. ...

I would say that your existing grips are worth about $20.00 to $25.00. They will be worth more to you, if you ever sell the revolver. You simply sell with the original grips and keep or resell the newer ones. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old May 1, 2016, 04:20 PM   #3
littlephil

Thanks for the quick reply Pahoo, I was going to get the Hogue monogrip just for comfort and shootability, but my grip frame doesn't have the hole for it. I was checking into one company that had really reasonable prices on wood stocks, May have been Almont, although I'd really like to have oversized grips because I have big hands and don't care to let my pinkie hang off of the frame. I actually bought this gun off of my buddy, and if I do ever get rid of it, it'll go back to him. He didn't care for the plastic grips either and was thinking about getting wood for it. But I'm thinking that he'll probably never get it back.
Old May 1, 2016, 04:51 PM   #4
Bob Wright

If recoil is the problem with very heavy handloads, try swapping out the grip frame, and use the Super Blackhawk grip frame.

As far as grip material, smooth, oil finished wood has been my solution.

Here is my .45 Colt Blackhawk so built up:

These grips are Bolivian rosewood. Note that Altamont grips are plastic impregnated birch, stained or dyed to walnut or rosewood color.

Bob Wright
Old May 1, 2016, 05:07 PM   #5
Pahoo

A bit surprising

Quote:
I was going to get the Hogue monogrip just for comfort and shootability, but my grip frame doesn't have the hole for it.
I find that a bit surprising and understand that there is the new and old model Blackhawks. Did not know that the Hogues won't work on the old models. You are talking about the hole in the butt of the grip, right ??

Be Safe !!!
Old May 1, 2016, 10:22 PM   #6
littlephil

That's a fine lookin revolver you've got there Bob. That's also some good info on the Altamont grips, I wasn't aware of that. My problem isn't so much the recoil, but the fact that the factory grips are checkered. It doesn't feel all that sharp to the touch, but under recoil it tears into my hands. It did this even with the few factory cowboy loads that I was given with the gun so it's not just my handloads. Plus I don't care for the look of the plastics. I've thought about a different grip frame, but can't really justify the cost right now. I used to have a super Blackhawk and love the grip, but I really dislike the square back trigger guard. I think I'd much rather have one from the hunter model, and I may get one in the future.

Pahoo, this gun was bought just last year brand new. I then bought it from my buddy (the original owner) this year. It has the x-red grip frame, but has no hole in the butt of the grip for the Hogue grip. I've read about others running into this, but not often.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:40 PM   #7
gyvel

Factory wood grips are commonly seen on eBay.

I had to chuckle a bit, because I am just the opposite of you: I find the wood grips on my Single Six too slick, and I am looking to replace them with some Ruger factory plastics.
SIFE
Old May 2, 2016, 10:14 AM   #8
Pahoo

I smell a deal !!!

Quote:
I am looking to replace them with some Ruger factory plastics
Thar ye go; sounds like a deal, in the making !!! .....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 2, 2016, 01:06 PM   #9
littlephil

Hmm, does the single six have the same size grip frame as the Blackhawk does? I'd much rather help out a fellow tfl member before someone on eBay.
Old May 2, 2016, 01:49 PM   #10
Pahoo

Should be good but verify

Quote:
Hmm, does the single six have the same size grip frame as the Blackhawk does?
You should be okay but it's important to verify. I've run into some confusing information between the old model and new model blackhawks. On my latest go-round I installed a set of Pachmayers that will fit both. .......

Be Safe
Old May 2, 2016, 02:01 PM   #11
tangolima

Not the same model but the same category. A client brought in a colt cowboy ssa in 45 lc. He disliked the factory plastic grips with checkering. He bought a set of simulated ivory grips. But they required fitting to the frame. I did the fitting for him, and he was exceedingly delighted.

Compared to the factory grips, the new grips are bigger. They filled up his big hand much better.

Don't whether you can find similar product for the blackhaw. But it may be something to consider.

-TL
Old May 2, 2016, 06:47 PM   #12
littlephil

Ok, from what i was able to find, fitment is pretty much hit or miss when it comes to swapping factory grips. From what I can tell, it's best to try and use grips from relatively close vintage guns.
I've also thought about trying to make my own, but I'm unsure what I can use for donor wood. I've got access to a couple different saws, a bunch of files, and sand paper. I've just never made grips before so I'm not sure what I can use. I don't wanna mess up on a really nice piece, but I don't really want to have to make a bunch of new sets because I keep using junk wood.
At any rate, thanks for all the help and suggestions so far!
Old May 2, 2016, 07:52 PM   #13
Pahoo

Don't have to re-invent the wheel

Phil,
Please note that the Pachmayer grips that I settled on, fit my Blackhawk, Single-Six and Ruger Old Army, like a glove. I suspect the Hogues would have fit as well but were too large for my hands. Your money, your call .....

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearc...lackhawk+grips

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; May 3, 2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old May 3, 2016, 04:44 AM   #14
gyvel

Quote:
Thar ye go; sounds like a deal, in the making !!! .....
LOL!! I don't think Blackhawk and Single Six grips are interchangeable.
SIFE
Old May 3, 2016, 05:03 AM   #15
littlephil

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/538...odels-rosewood

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/297...x-rubber-black

I hope these links work, but it seems that they do indeed interchange. If you'd rather not swap grips that's fine too, but I appreciate Pahoo trying to help out regardless.

Pahoo, thanks for the heads up on the grips, the only reason i was gonna go with the Hogues, is because that's what's on my Gp100 and I love it. I may just see about getting a set of Altamonts for now or try my hand and making my own. Thanks again for the info!
Old May 4, 2016, 09:19 AM   #16
jackmoser65

Wow, 15 posts deep before anyone asks the OP to clarify exactly what he has. OP, what do you have exactly? Is it an Old Model, is it a New Model? For either flavor, is it a flat-top?

Yes, Single Six and Blackhawk grips of the same vintage do interchange. With a few exceptions.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:15 PM   #17
littlephil

Jack, it's a new model that was bought brand new just last year. It's not a flat top or anything special. Thought I posted some info about it at some point in the thread, but I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time). That's pretty much the same thing I've been reading in my searches, just haven't found any info on what the possible differences are.
Old May 6, 2016, 01:10 PM   #18
jackmoser65

Then the grips interchange with virtually any Blackhawk or Single Six made since 1963. Or Vaqueros made from 1993-2005. With a few exceptions like the short framed .32.
Old May 6, 2016, 11:37 PM   #19
littlephil

Thanks Jack, that's some really useful info!
Old May 7, 2016, 06:15 AM   #20
Salmoneye

The best resource for determining Ruger single action grips:

http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm
Old May 7, 2016, 06:42 AM   #21
stagpanther

I have a NM blackhawk with the round trigger guard and think the plastic grips are terrible--because they are anchored by the single screw they flex enough that they will start moving eventually. I bought a hogue grip and used it for a while--nice comfortable grip though it doesn't line up perfectly. I eventually removed it because the floating anchor bracket has a pin which fell out after repeated use and made it's way up into the trigger/ hammer area causing major malfunctions.

If anyone knows where I can find a presentation grip for a NMB--do tell--I haven't seen one in stock anywhere since the day I was born.
Old May 7, 2016, 09:54 AM   #22
tangolima

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...731068&alt=web
Old May 7, 2016, 11:40 AM   #23
tangolima

This one is similar to the one that I fitted for client's colt cowboy ssa.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/281770256792

-TL
Old May 22, 2016, 12:40 PM   #24
Smoke Jensen

Grips.

The grips on the Blackhawk (with XR3-Red grip frame) the Single six (mine in .32 mag) are interchangeable. I did it on mine. The trouble is with the newer Blackhawks with that stupid lock mechanism.