The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 9, 2013, 04:12 PM   #1
ClydeFrog

New CBS News item about CA gun sales; LAPD...

I just read over a news article; www.cbsnews.com about the state of CA having record gun sales & an overall DROP in statewide gun violence/medical care related to firearms.
1,000s of new guns(many semi auto pistols & rifles) were purchased through FFL holders & gun shops in CA. They had a drop in crime related to firearms too.

What irks me is the remarks by LAPD Chief Charlie Beck; I'm not happy with it. All these guns are what my officers have to face on the street.

So, if I understand it, ALL firearms legally purchased in CA are somehow a "threat" to the LAPD? Or is it that all CA residents who buy guns & follow the law want to harm the sworn officers of the LAPD?
Chief Beck should explain what he meant. If I was a LA resident(tax-payer) & owned a firearm, I'd be insulted.
Clyde
Old January 9, 2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Joe_Pike

He's a bureaucrat, what would you expect. A Police Chief is closer to a politician than a law enforcement officer IMO.
Old January 9, 2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Dr Big Bird PhD

I do not like Charlie Beck. He is a statist if I've ever seen one.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 9, 2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Patriot86

Another "inconvenient truth" more guns = less crime.

I can't use the S word on here sadly, but big city Mayors like Bloomberg, Rham and co and their Bureaucratic minions view all firearms as a "threat" to what they stand for.

Big city politicians and their kind view any possible mechanism or tool that allows someone to resist their societal goals as a "threat". Individualism and self-reliance are a threat to the system they have built.

In reality the only "threat" most of these weapons will ever pose to LAPD officers is if they start kicking in doors to confiscate firearms or engage in rampant abuse of otherwise law abiding citizens.

Go back and look at the history of gun control in California, a lot of it stems from the black panthers and other "leftist" groups arming themselves in the 60's and 70's so they could defend themselves against Government abuses.
Old January 11, 2013, 02:03 AM   #5
skeeter

As I remember it when the LA Riots were taking place the police stayed home to protect their families. I saw on the news movies of truckers being pulled out of their trucks and hits with bricks and shot at with guns and left to bleed out. Seems like at those times an assault rifle to protect your family would be much better than a revolver. Maybe someone should tell that to Joe Biden and Piers Morgan.
Old January 11, 2013, 03:40 AM   #6
wet

I had a relative come and stay with us from southern California for the holidays. Her and her husband are pro gun control, she told me "all guns are dangerous and need to be banned". When we were kids we shot 22's together and she was a good shot.
She asked me to sell her a XDM 9, (illeagle in california) and teach her how to shoot it because she is afraid where she lives. I told her if I did it would make both of us criminals and neither of us would be able to own a legal fire arm. She still says she belives in gun control and did not want to hear she needed to to convince 51% of her fellow Californians that responsible gun onwership is the answer. What can I say or do to her to change her mind? Books articles?
Old January 11, 2013, 07:49 AM   #7
KMAX

Quote:
Her and her husband are pro gun control, she told me "all guns are dangerous and need to be banned". When we were kids we shot 22's together and she was a good shot.
She asked me to sell her a XDM 9, (illeagle in california) and teach her how to shoot it because she is afraid where she lives.
This sounds typical of the anti-gun folks. "Do as I say, not as I do." If she were serious about gun control and banning then why would she want to buy a gun from you illegally. Very hypocritical.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old January 11, 2013, 09:04 AM   #8
Hal

Quote:
She asked me to sell her a XDM 9, (illeagle in california) and teach her how to shoot it because she is afraid where she lives. I told her if I did it would make both of us criminals and neither of us would be able to own a legal fire arm. She still says she belives in gun control and did not want to hear she needed to to convince 51% of her fellow Californians that responsible gun onwership is the answer. What can I say or do to her to change her mind? Books articles?
Have her watch the old classic 1962 Ray Milland movie - Panic in Year Zero.
LA is nuked and Ray and family flee for the hills.
On the way, Ray stops in a store to buy guns.
The guy in the store tells him there's a waiting period before he can take the gun w/him.
Old January 11, 2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Joe_Pike

Quote:
I had a relative come and stay with us from southern California for the holidays. Her and her husband are pro gun control, she told me "all guns are dangerous and need to be banned". When we were kids we shot 22's together and she was a good shot. She asked me to sell her a XDM 9
I have a hard time wrapping my brain around stuff like this. That's like a vegan telling me the horrors of eating meat while sucking down a Big Mac.
Old January 12, 2013, 01:29 PM   #10
Magnum Mike

Yep! When our carry law was passing our County Sheriff Said." The blood will flow down the streets."
I've drove down a lot of streets, roads and alleys yet to find the blood flowing.
Old January 12, 2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Shotgun693

Quote:
A Police Chief is closer to a politician than a law enforcement officer
You do not get to be Chief by being a good Cop. You get to be Chief by being a politician.
Old January 12, 2013, 06:31 PM   #12
ClydeFrog

44min; LA's BoA shooting, 1997....

While you are buying or watching films about LA & gun issues.
Get the TV movie/DVD of 44 Minutes, www.imfdb.org .
It's a film based on the LAPD gun battle in North Hollywood/1997.
The 2 armed felons(who had their firearms & ammunition returned due to a court action) shot up a bunch of under-gunned LA cops.
The LAPD officers ran into a local gun shop & loaded up a few M-16s & semi auto rifles to deal with the 2 violent bank robbers.

Funny how Chief Beck or the LAPD brass don't bring that little detail up.

Clyde
Old January 13, 2013, 02:57 AM   #13
Metal god

I watched that live on TV . It was crazy to see something like that going on for reel .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9SJi7G_QY0

Quote:
The 2 armed felons(who had their firearms & ammunition returned due to a court action)
Two things that don't seem right about that .

1) both the bank Robers were killed . one was shot and killed the other killed himself . If the guns were returned it was not to them .

2) they had full auto AKs that they illegally possessed so they would not be returned .

Ammo and other personal items , sure there family's can come and claim them it happens .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 13, 2013, 08:28 AM   #14
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
What can I say or do to her to change her mind? Books articles?
Good luck with that as she already has the typical gun banning hypocritical mindset.

The bottom line is that if she wants a gun to protect her family, every one should have that same ability.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:28 AM   #15
Yung.gunr

Wet, sounds like you are a more forgiving person than I. I probably would have told her that hypocritical people who want to do illegal gun purchases do not stay in my home. At which point I would have referred her and her husband to the farthest 2 star hotel I could think of.

End of discussion.

I know that's not really a great way to change someone's mind regarding guns. I don't trust gun grabbers who want to illegally buy them enough to stay in my home with my family.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:40 AM   #16
LRChops

Beck is an idiot. His officers have a majority of armed citizens who will protect thier homes and families taking them out of harms way!

GUNS are the only tool evil understands. Without guns, we lose our liberty!
Old January 14, 2013, 02:58 AM   #17
therealdeal

Quote:
So, if I understand it, ALL firearms legally purchased in CA are somehow a "threat" to the LAPD? Or is it that all CA residents who buy guns & follow the law want to harm the sworn officers of the LAPD?
Chief Beck should explain what he meant. If I was a LA resident(tax-payer) & owned a firearm, I'd be insulted.
Clyde
he might be talking about the influx of weapons that end up in cities, criminal shootings, gang memebers hands, etc that threaten his police force.

that being said, i don't know this guy and live far from CA....just saying he might be an avid firearms owner who worries about the guys patrolling the streets(and then again he might not)

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old January 14, 2013, 03:02 AM   #18
therealdeal

shotgun

Quote:
You do not get to be Chief by being a good Cop. You get to be Chief by being a politician.
are you a law enforcement officer or have any kind of experience with this? are you speaking about all police chiefs whether this one/this community or whether a small town in north dakota and so-on?

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old January 14, 2013, 11:26 AM   #19
Nasty

LA cops have long been an embarrassment to the many great men & women wearing blue around the rest of the country.

I've heard cops say "What did you expect? This ain't LA".
Old January 14, 2013, 01:40 PM   #20
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
LA cops have long been an embarrassment to the many great men & women wearing blue around the rest of the country.
I've met a few who are excellent officers. By the time the public hears of an issue with the LAPD, the officers are thrown to the wolves, but the underlying problems of budget, staffing, geography, and corruption at the administrative level are never addressed.

In any case, let's not get into cop bashing here.
Old January 14, 2013, 03:39 PM   #21
Bart Noir

Metal Guy (you are not God!),

Quote:
If the guns were returned it was not to them .
That was a reference to an earlier run-in with the police, one where the guns were taken while the wheels of justice ground slowly away. Naturally, those were not the guns modified to full-auto fire which were later used in the bank job.

Bart Noir
Old January 14, 2013, 04:27 PM   #22
Strafer Gott

So you are actually Black Beard? Get a grip man! To err is human. It's still a lot easier than a Hoyt-Compton test. Now about those guns... Full auto in Cali? How the heck can that happen. Those guys must have been criminals!
Old January 15, 2013, 12:02 AM   #23
Metal god

Quote:
Metal Guy (you are not God!),
:-( .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 15, 2013, 12:16 AM   #24
Metal god

Like I said I watched it happen live and followed it after quite a bit . The 44 minutes is a move about the bank robbery and far from 100% accurate .

Old January 15, 2013, 11:45 AM   #25
Shotgun693

Quote:
are you a law enforcement officer or have any kind of experience with this? are you speaking about all police chiefs whether this one/this community or whether a small town in north dakota and so-on?
I had 35 years in Law Enforcement when I retired. There might be a very small number of Chiefs somewhere who got their job by being a Good Cop. I've just never known one or met one. One of the best Cops I know, never worked for him but know him, was just passed over for a Chief's Job. He's a damned good Cop but a poor politician. He just couldn't kiss enough butts to get the job.

You know a Good Cop who's a Chief. Let me know I'd like to actually see such a thing.