The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 25, 2012, 11:26 PM   #1
kjonchef

What model Python do I have?

I have a 1978 Python serial # V21***
It is a beautiful Colt Royal Blue 6 inch with Ivory finger position grips with gold rampent colt medallion. It has all the standard stamped markings but it is in gold filled and appears to have a target hammer.

What have I got?
Thanks,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colt Python Elite 6 inch Colt Royal Blue.jpg (57.9 KB, 226 views)
Old September 25, 2012, 11:45 PM   #2
hoghunting

Looks like a normal Python with after market grips and someone filled the lettering in with gold accents.
Old September 26, 2012, 01:38 AM   #3
FoghornLeghorn

Python is Python. They don't designate them re "model numbers."

You've got a Python. That's all it is. A Python with aftermarket grips. Pity you don't have the original grips. The originals add to its value. Oh, and the gold filling in the lettering detracts from the value. I've got a Smith and Wesson 25-2 with the same thing. One of these days I'm going to remove the gold from the lettering.

There was a time when that was "cool." Sort of like those idiot wheels that keep turning even after the car stops.

It's not cool anymore.
Old September 26, 2012, 04:15 AM   #4
Baba Louie

Quote:
What have I got?
A simply superb looking and shooting collectible wheelgun from days gone by. Enjoy it for ALL the right reasons.

History behind it? (family heirloom, good buy, lucky find, etc?) Really nice looking handgun kjonchef.

Oh. By the way. Welcome to TFL
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old September 26, 2012, 05:47 AM   #5
CajunBass

Those might not be aftermarket grips. Those and the gold infilling might have been part of a presentation type package for a distributor. I'd ask over on the Colt Forum. Those guys would know for sure.

I still think the Gold infilling looks nice.

That is one fine looking gun.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 26, 2012, 12:31 PM   #6
kjonchef

What have I got?

Thanks Cajun Bass and Baba Louie for your informative help!
I have found out that Colt MFG. has and does make "special" runs for a lot of their guns. For example, distributors, the FBI, police organizations, elite military groups, etc.
Colt will make "special runs" of custom guns of at least 25 guns and the "special run" prices these days can be $40K+ for the run depending on what is requested. So actually, a python is not just a python at all.
I inherited this gun from my dad. He got it from a military group of vets he belonged to. He was a decorated Navy Grumman TBF Avenger Radioman/Belly Gunner in the Pacific during WWII.
This group formed in '42 and met at a reunion every 5 years. I think that this gun was made for their 35th reunion, '42-'78. I will check with the Colt MFG. Historian. They will authenticate and tell me who, where and how many were shipped, for a fee.
Thanks again for your kind words and valuable information.
Mike
PS
For the other responses that are obviously suffering from Faecal Encephalopathy, thanks anyway!
Old September 26, 2012, 12:47 PM   #7
redhawk45

Ivory stocks are quite valuable if they are real.
Old September 26, 2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Baba Louie

Python Avenger eh?

Quote:
I inherited this gun from my dad. He got it from a military group of vets he belonged to. He was a decorated Navy Grumman TBF Avenger Radioman/Belly Gunner in the Pacific during WWII.
This group formed in '42 and met at a reunion every 5 years. I think that this gun was made for their 35th reunion, '42-'78. I will check with the Colt MFG. Historian. They will authenticate and tell me who, where and how many were shipped, for a fee.
kjonchef... why didn't you say so initially then???

Because what you have is a priceless heirloom my friend. PRICELESS!

PS what group was your Father in (if I might ask) because that beautiful blueblack snake represents ALL of those Naval Aviators making one hella sacrifice. A Python Avenger... I like it.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old September 26, 2012, 01:48 PM   #9
KyJim

I'll add that in addition to any special runs, Colt also used the name "Python Elite" toward the end of production. These were just Pythons with a satin stainless steel finish.

Oh yes -- BEAUTIFUL PYTHON!
Old September 26, 2012, 02:11 PM   #10
Winchester_73

Quote:
Python is Python. They don't designate them re "model numbers."

You've got a Python. That's all it is.
Well, to be fair, there were some Python "models" IMO. For example, the much sought after Combat Python, the Python silhouette, Python Hunter, Python Target (38 special only), and probably a few others. In general, Pythons are Pythons, but there were Python "models" as I would describe it.
Old September 26, 2012, 07:01 PM   #11
Anchor44

WOW!
I've seen a prettier gun, just don't remember where or when.
Old September 26, 2012, 07:52 PM   #12
Dfariswheel

Here's what I've got on your Python.

First, it's not a Python Elite.
The Python Elite's were the very last Pythons made in the mid to late 1990's just before the Python was discontinued.
These models were stamped on the barrel "PYTHON ELITE".

In the mid-1990's Colt didn't have enough qualified workers to build the Python as a regular production model so they moved production into the Colt Custom Shop.
To mark the move, Colt added the "Elite" marking to the barrel. These were exactly like the older Pythons with the Elite marking being the only difference.

V21*** was made in 1978. The "V" serial number prefix series began that year and started at V01001. 1979 started at V36737.

The grips are not original to the gun, since these grips were only available on the last Pythons made in the mid to late 1990's.
These grips were available in various colors of laminated woods and "bonded" ivory, with gold or silver Colt medallions or with no medallions.
You can still buy them for $85.00:

http://gungripsupply.com/

It's unlikely your Python was a Custom Shop gun since Custom Shop models are typically engraved or have special features like Target sights or a trigger job, special engraving, etc.
However, Custom Shop guns that have had a special order trigger job don't have any special markings. Only a Colt Archive letter will tell the fine details.

That's a fine example of a classic Python.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:52 PM   #13
FFournier

That's GORGEOUS!!
Old October 10, 2012, 10:57 PM   #14
firme67

Great looking gun and wonderful story behind it. It doesn't have to be a "Special Colt" if it is "Special" to you. Enjoy it. By the way I have a Python Serial #V12*** made in 1978, so I believe as mentioned before you have a 1978 model also.
Old October 10, 2012, 11:45 PM   #15
RamItOne

OWNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjonchef
For the other responses that are obviously suffering from Faecal Encephalopathy, thanks anyway!

Looks very nice. I have an old colt .38 det spcl that I got from my dad. I shoot it once a year.
Old October 11, 2012, 04:50 PM   #16
ExitWounds

The model python you have is the one that your begging me to buy from you lol
Old October 11, 2012, 10:40 PM   #17
bamaranger

Absolutely lovely.
Old October 13, 2012, 10:56 AM   #18
Skans

I would consider sending off to Colt for a letter, if you think there is any possibility that this was a special production gun. If it came from the factory that way, it will be mentioned in the letter.
Old October 13, 2012, 07:52 PM   #19
NO-BODY

Thats a piece of crap gun that I'll take off your hands for a hundred bucks