The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 7, 2010, 12:29 PM   #1
Flyfisher

Kimber 9mm

There have probably been posts on this topic, but I am not a good reseacher and typing in the above Title hasn't helped.
Anyway, what is the consensus on Kimber's 9mm firearms? Which model (looks like they have a couple)? I saw one the other day in a gun shop and it was darned near love at first sight. Unfortunately, I did not have the time to develop a "new relationship."
I have the Kimber CDP II which has been an outstanding performer for me. I also have a number of Sigs (P239 & 232). But, on the whole, I own more wheelguns...SW and Ruger.
If this has been addressed before, just point me in the right direction, please. Thanks, much.
Old May 7, 2010, 05:13 PM   #2
BigJimP

I have a Kimber Tactical Pro II model in 9mm ( 4" barrel, alloy frame ) ...

http://www.kimberamerica.com/product...ctical_pro_II/

they also make that model in .45acp ......

Its a decent gun / not a great gun in my opinion. The alloy frame shows a few scratches / but its a good training gun - and I use it primarily for new shooters, or the grandkids - where a lighter gun is attractive vs a steel, 5" 1911 that new shooters might find more intimidating. IT came out of the factory with a really poor trigger in it / but a local gunsmith took care of that for me .. I think my Kimber 9mm is about 5 yrs old now ...

I really like 1911's in 9mm - and besides the Kimber - I have a Les Baer Monolith, 5" - and a Wilson Combat, 5", Protector model, all stainless --- both of them are much better guns than the Kimber ( but the Kimber is way les money ).

Springfield and others make 1911's in 9mm ... I'd encourage you to give a 1911 in 9mm a try. I carry a 1911, 5", in .45 acp ( a Wilson CQB model ) and I shoot 1911's in 9mm at least 75% of the time at the range for practice. My reloads on 9mm are costing me about $ 5.50 for a box of 50 right now ..and its cheap practice ammo when I'm going thru 4 - 6 boxes a week usually.
Old May 7, 2010, 05:41 PM   #3
rbernie

I have owned three; one Stainless II, one Target II, and one Aegis. All were superb pieces, but the Aegis is by far my favorite.

The only thing that I ever feel compelled to change on these pistols is to sell the magazines that come with them and replace them with the Springfield Armory Leatham-designed 9mm magazines.
Old May 7, 2010, 05:48 PM   #4
Radar

I have a highly customized Pro Carry II, and love it. I put in a Cylinder and Slide sear/hammer/disconnector kit, Kimber tactical night sights, and SS slide stop,grip safety and ambi safety, and a WC magwell.
It's a great shooter, very accurate, just plain fun! Here's a pic before the magwell...
Old May 7, 2010, 07:54 PM   #5
rsxr22

kimber makes a great 1911! They have run into some criticism in the past with the shwartz safety and the external extractor but as long as your picking up a model without those features youll be good
Old May 8, 2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Ichiban

I have a Target II and a Tactical Pro II in 9mm. Both have been trouble free, accurate, and fun to shoot so I would definitely recommend them based on my experience.