The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 31, 2008, 06:26 PM   #1
T.A.Sharps

Crimp Die Advantage?

I have not started reloading yet, but I was wondering what would the advantage be with a factory crimp die? I'm sure there is a reason for it, but you crimp, I think, with the bullet seating die that comes in a normal set right?

Is the Lee Factory Crimp die the only one?
Old March 31, 2008, 07:23 PM   #2
rwilson452

Lee is the only one I know of that calls it a factory crimp die there may be other crimp only dies I don't know them.

The big advantages of crimping as a separate step are two. when you crimp with the seating die you run the risk of shaving the bullet as the crimp is closing as the bullet is being seated. I saves the interaction between seating and crimping. Crimping with the seating die when you adjust crimp it throws off seating. so you go back and forth to get it right. the down side is it adds a step to the reloading process. with a progressive press it's not a big deal. using a single stage press it slows you down. The newer Lee Classic Turret Press is a four station turret and is "semiprogressive". with it it just an extra pull of the handle.

Quote:
Crimp Die Advantage?
I have not started reloading yet, but I was wondering what would the advantage be with a factory crimp die? I'm sure there is a reason for it, but you crimp, I think, with the bullet seating die that comes in a normal set right?

Is the Lee Factory Crimp die the only one?
Old March 31, 2008, 08:35 PM   #3
BigJakeJ1s

Quote:
when you crimp with the seating die you run the risk of shaving the bullet as the crimp is closing as the bullet is being seated.
If the seat/crimp die is adjusted properly, and the case lengths are uniform, this will not happen. In other words, a separate crimp die can hide or compensate for other problems, but if those other problems are addressed, a seat/crimp die will work just as well as a separate conventional crimp die.

The Lee FCDs for rifle and bottleneck pistol cartridges are non-conventional in that they use a collet to crimp the case mouth with, and it is capable of applying a heavier crimp than possible with a conventional crimper (while seating or not) without buckling the case.

Lee Carbide FCDs are just a conventional separate crimp die (roll or taper as appropriate) with a carbide post-sizing ring to iron out any case buckling. Other than allowing (or compensating for) more case length variance in high volume reloading (read: progressive), the CFCD solves problems that can/should be addressed elsewhere.

Andy
Old March 31, 2008, 09:27 PM   #4
Alleykat

The Dillon "system" calls for seating and crimping separately. Those guys must know a little something by now. I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die with my 650, mainly for the crimping method. I greatly prefer the adjustable crimp screw, as opposed to having to adjust a die up and down for seating/crimping. Occasionally, I'll feel the carbide sizing ring doing a little something, but generally, it never comes into play.

For those of us not otherwise known as Jesus Christ, occasional human frailties sometimes occur. The FCD is for those times.
Old April 1, 2008, 07:04 AM   #5
45Marlin carbine

they are a BIG advantage with cannelure slugs, particular slow-burning powder loads. just don't 'squeeze the guts' out of the slug.
Old April 1, 2008, 10:55 AM   #6
ryalred

You can't crimp bullets without a cannelure in your seating die. You can use the Lee Factory Crimp die on bullets that don't have a cannelure.

As to whether the bullets are more accurate that are crimped with the Lee Factory Crimp--the debate may never be settled.

I use the Lee Factory crimp for all my bullets that don't have a cannelure. On all bullets with a cannelure, I use my seating die crimp option.

Ryalred
Old April 1, 2008, 09:22 PM   #7
Alleykat

Quote:
You can't crimp bullets without a cannelure in your seating die. You can use the Lee Factory Crimp die on bullets that don't have a cannelure.

As to whether the bullets are more accurate that are crimped with the Lee Factory Crimp--the debate may never be settled.

I use the Lee Factory crimp for all my bullets that don't have a cannelure. On all bullets with a cannelure, I use my seating die crimp option.
Hopefully, you're only talking about rifle bullets; otherwise, you'd be incorrect.
Old April 1, 2008, 10:43 PM   #8
BigJakeJ1s

Quote:
The Dillon "system" calls for seating and crimping separately. Those guys must know a little something by now.
They must know something... The Dillon "system" is well designed to sell stuff you shouldn't need, while cutting corners anywhere they can to make a buck. Rather than improve their PM to allow metering inserts to be swapped without disassembling and emptying, or even dialed to a pre-determined setting, they prefer to sell you a whole new PM for every cartridge setup. Rather than allow you to crimp and seat in one step, allowing a powder check die on the 550, they prefer to sell you a neutered seat-only die that must have the lock ring loosened to adjust seating depth, or even to sell you a more expensive press with an extra station. Rather than allow you to remove and replace individual dies without resetting them, they prefer to sell you dies with lock rings that don't lock in place on the die, along with new tool heads. Rather than improve their presses to spring load the buttons so cartridges can easily be removed/replaced by simply depressing the button, or even rotated to one of 8 sides to account for different cartridge sizes, they prefer to squeeze maximum profit from the same old cash cow.

Yep, they know a little something by now.

Andy
Old April 2, 2008, 08:47 AM   #9
Alleykat

Quote:
Yep, they know a little something by now.
Glad you see the light. (Of course, "the light" from your perspective, seems to be pretty distorted.)