The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2008, 09:41 PM   #1
btefft

Question to you Hornady LnL owners

I'm still learning my LnL. But it has been fun. Now my question:

Does any one have any ideas on the best way to quickly change powder charges on the powder measure as you change for caliber to caliber, say from 9mm to 45 ACP or to 45/70 Govt. Can you buy multiple drums with their inserts set to different calibers?

Bobby
Old March 31, 2008, 09:07 AM   #2
DEDON45

I've recently ordered a LnL press; my understanding is that there are several drums available (for instance, i ordered Pistol drum for small powder charges, already have it, got here before the press) and metering inserts as well. The metering inserts pop in and out, so it would follow that you could buy several metering inserts for different calibers that were preset for a specific volume, and use them with the proper drum. I would mark them so I'd know which drum they worked with. In my case, the only extra insert I ordered was the powder dump insert and the pistol micrometer insert came with the pistol drum. The press is shipping with a "standard" drum and insert. In any event, even with a preset insert / drum combo, I'd check the first couple of charges with a scale to make sure nothing "moved" during the swap.
Old March 31, 2008, 09:49 AM   #3
SDefender

Three comments:

1- For each caliber (.40 S&W and .45 auto) I have I use a different powder dispenser setup. Just makes it easier for me with the powder through belling adapter and not having to make any changes in the adjustments.

2- As far as powder metering is concerned, I have the Hornady micrometer inserts (optional) and have documented at what setting for each powder I use, dispenses what amount of powder.

3- There are two different rotors I am aware of, rifle (for 10 grains and above) and pistol for 10 grains and less.
Old March 31, 2008, 01:39 PM   #4
UniversalFrost

you will have to buy the pistol rotor and inserts if you plan on loading for smaller than 10 gr throws. You can pick up the rotor from midwayusa or call hornady.

The rifle metering inserts are cheap and I have bought mine from midwayusa.com they are real easy to sawp out when changing loads.

The pistol rotor takes a little more time to swap out then put in the appropriate pistol metering insert.

slick idea.

Also, have fun if you every have issues with the Hornany press. I ended up selling my progressive after the customer support and engineering folks were about as helpful as a box of rocks. Replaced my progressive hornady with a dillon 650 and have not regretted it. Still have a hornady l-n-l measure for the single stage rifle loads that i work up on my rock chucker.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old March 31, 2008, 06:42 PM   #5
DIXIEDOG

Just buy additional metering inserts at a little under $10 each. If you press the little round button that sticks out the side of your metering drum the insert will pull right out. Buy one for each caliber,mark it with caliber and the next time you set up for that caliber you just swap them out.