The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 17, 2000, 10:38 AM   #1
Gary H

I recently purchased a heavy bag and floor stand. Instructions say that you just place three 25 pound round olympic weights on the three vertical weight poles. I found that it takes about 350 pounds of weight to stop the stand from dancing around the room. I have a good portion of my barbell weights sitting on my bag stand. Now, I'm going to spend a small fortune on weights. I've considered sand bags, but their flexible nature makes them less than ideal. Any ideas as to an economical weight system?
Old October 17, 2000, 11:03 AM   #2
David Scott

Surplus manhole covers?
Old October 17, 2000, 11:41 AM   #3
Gary H

David:

That is a great idea, but I can't find a Surplus Manhole Store in the phone book.
Old October 17, 2000, 01:26 PM   #4
tuc22

A training partner is the best system to use with the heavy bag. Somebody who leans into it and provides resistance. A setup that relies on a floor stand is going to be a problem. The best system would employ an overhead rail that would allow the bag to move backwards in a straight line following your attack. I have a full sized humanoid dummy built out of tires that weighs about 100lbs. that can withstand any kind of blow, such as rattan sticks, screwdrivers used as knives, real hammers, and whatever. If you are interested I can provide you with a contact to receive plans for such as system, e-mail me and I'll pass the info along to you.
Old October 17, 2000, 03:48 PM   #5
MTAA

Is the bag used inside or outside ? You might consider hanging it from a more stable base, like a heavy ceiling beam.

Here's a solution: I take it the base in which you rack the weights on is pronged, right ? Take a plastic storage bin, one that looks like a laundry hamper, low and rectangular, poke holes in the base for the prongs, when it's over the prongs, load them up with 25/35 lb weights, then fill in the rest of the space with sand or concrete. Voila ! The sand/concrete should add at least an extra 100 lbs.