The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 4, 2000, 02:15 PM   #1
El Rojo

Here is the story. I loaded up 30 17 gr A-Max for the .308 the other day with 42 grains of IMR 4064 on the RL 550B. I go to the NM Service match and only about 15 work. Turns out that powder did not feed through half of them. Now, is it because of IMR 4064 in the Dillon powder measure or am I missing some maintenance procedures. Let me say I was not pleased. Or is it I am just an idiot? I sure felt like one when none of my rounds were going off. It was a good trigger control exercise though! I might just have to and probably will use the AT 500 funnel die and my scale for those 600 yard rounds. Let me know what you think.
Old September 4, 2000, 03:28 PM   #2
beemerb

This happened to me.When I put more powder in the thrower a paice of paper from the can seal went into the bottom and it would only feed powder part of the time.Its worth the check.I can't see the dillon system messing up for any other reason.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old September 4, 2000, 03:56 PM   #3
WalterGAII

I'd just like to know the velocity of a 17gr. A-Max, fired from a .308. Must be a real screamer!!!
Old September 4, 2000, 05:47 PM   #4
M16

Ah Walter you beat me to the punch. El Rojo, one thing you may try is going to a ball powder instead of the extruded powder you are using. When I load rifle cartridges on my XL650 I always use ball powders. Usually in the .308 it is either Winchester 748 or 760.
Old September 5, 2000, 12:49 AM   #5
El Rojo

I used the chrony to test the 17 gr. A-max with 42 gr. of IMR 4064. It came out at about 24000 fps. When I shoot national match with it, I don't ever correct for elevation. I can sell you some of these bullets or trade you for your ocean front property in Arizona. You guys suck!

Seriously thanks for the info. I have a feeling 4064 just doesn't meter well in the ol Dillon. I will keep working on it or just use the AT 500 powder die with funnel. Did any of you ever catch onto that little trick? Buy the AT 500 powder die with funnel and reload as normal, just use the scale and dish to measure your powder charge and dump it in the funnel and in it goes. It makes the reloading go pretty darn fast for handloads with out the automatic powder measure.
Old September 5, 2000, 05:42 AM   #6
Nukem

Like M16 said, the Dillon powder measure doesn't do extruded powder worth a hoot. I tried Varget in mine once, what a mess.
Old September 5, 2000, 09:53 AM   #7
JMC

As previously stated, ball powders work the best thru the Dillon powder measure.

I use W748 and H380 for the .308 in my Dillom 550B getting very uniform charges from the measure.

That being said, when I load ammunition, especially for competition, I visually inspect every case receiving powder to be positive its in there.

30 rounds would not have been too many to check and it would have paid off on the line.

We learn more from our mistakes than our successes. Somebody said that sometime...

------------------

Jim - NRA Life Member

www.geocities.com/jimc_07874/home.html

[This message has been edited by JMC (edited September 05, 2000).]
Old September 5, 2000, 12:32 PM   #8
Alan B

I have a bright light over head and slightly off center on the bullet seating side so I can check the powder charge before putting the bullet on the case. When setting up, I weight ever charge for the first 20 cases or until the weights settle where I want them.
I take a case out of the dillion just before I pull the handle to charge the case, put it on the digital scale zero it, then put it back on the press pull the handle then weight the case, charge and all. (be careful not to deprime a newly primed case on first die)
If you are not using all four positions get a low powder sensor from dillon for the open station.

If I am loading Match ammo I weight about every 10th charge. For shooting ammo I check about every 25th to 50th charge.

I also wipe the lube off all my cases with a rag after reloading and shake the case (when not using a compressed charge) to hear if the case has powder in it. You can tell if their isn't enough.

Also if you have a digital scale put a round on it, zero, and then place each cartridge in it in turn if you find a loaded cartridge the is say 5 or 10 grains lighter or heaver than the others it might be a canidate to pull apart to see what is there.

as far as accuracy goes, my dillion 550b is ususlly with in .2 grains with an extruded powder with a hopper that is at least half full and the powder has settled.

Try this get a pound of extruded powder,pour it in to the hopper just before bed and then put the cover on it and use a piece of tape to mark the level. Then come back the next evening and see if it hasn't settled. I have seen a pound of IMR 4350 settle as much as a half inch, and thats just setting overnight.
Old September 5, 2000, 01:06 PM   #9
El Rojo

Thanks for your help. You sure learn more from your mistakes! I think an electronic scale might be a good checking investment.