The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 11, 2012, 12:41 PM   #1
8MM Mauser

CZ-75B: Decocker or Safety

Thinking about purchasing this gun in the near-to-kind of-near future, love the fact that it's all steel, and I love the ergos, plus, after reading 12+ reviews from various sources the only knock against I've heard at all is that some of the internal parts aren't as smooth as they could be, but this bothers me exactly not-at-all.

Now, my question is: Decocker or safety? From My understanding; the "Standard" model, with a safety, can be carried hammer down, safety off and used like a standard DA/SA gun; or it can be carried "cocked and locked" with the hammer cocked and the safety on and used as a pure SA gun, and that additionally the safety can only be tuned on when the hammer is cocked, necessitating condition 1 carry.. First off, this is correct right?

Second, I have to wonder what the advantage is to either the pure SA model and the decocker model. If I can use the 75B as a DA/SA or a SA why limit myself with one or the other?

Any other info about this pistol is appreciated as well. I am going to try and get some solid range time on different models before I commit to a purchase, but any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Pilot

I have the manual safety 75B, and the decocker 75D PCR, so I have experience with both systems. I prefer the manual safety, and carry it DA with hammer on the half cock notch. This reduces the length of the DA trigger pull, and the pistol is designed to be carried safely in that condition. For reference, the PCR decocks to the half cock notch.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:51 PM   #3
chris in va

I had a decocker model for ten years. If i had to do it all over again, it would be a polished stainless with the safety. You can always decock the hammer to the half notch position by hand, no biggie.

That being said you may want to consider the updated version, the SP01. It has a few upgrades from the older 75 design. Or also have a close look at the P01 if you even think conceal carrying might happen in the future. It's still a fantastic range gun.

One more thing. Don't be discouraged by the hard DA pull. It's easily remedied by swapping out the hammer spring with a 15# from Wolff. Also a used CZ will be smoother than a new one so don't hesitate to find a preowned.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Creeper

I guess it kinda depends what you might be used to, or which you personally feel is safer. If you're like me, a 1911 and early CZ75 guy, you're not real big on decockers... in fact, you might even consider the 75B-SA, which is currently the only 75B I own.
I like the SA trigger quite a bit and don't have to deal with a DA trigger, or a "magazine brake". You can take the mag brake out of a B or a BD if you want, so that's not such a big deal.

Anyway, bla bla bla... try them both, or rather if possible, try them all and figure it out for yourself.

C
Old November 11, 2012, 01:09 PM   #5
8MM Mauser

Quote:
I had a decocker model for ten years. If i had to do it all over again, it would be a polished stainless with the safety. You can always decock the hammer to the half notch position by hand, no biggie.

That being said you may want to consider the updated version, the SP01. It has a few upgrades from the older 75 design. Or also have a close look at the P01 if you even think conceal carrying might happen in the future. It's still a fantastic range gun.

One more thing. Don't be discouraged by the hard DA pull. It's easily remedied by swapping out the hammer spring with a 15# from Wolff. Also a used CZ will be smoother than a new one so don't hesitate to find a preowned.
I'm thinking I might, someday (like after I finish my master's degree and no longer spend time on college campuses) consider everyday carry, and if I did, I would then almost certainly buy a P-01 or a P-07; but for now, I can't carry at work (45-50 hours of each week), I can't carry at school (12-15 hours of each week) and I have a 1 yea old who crawls all over me at home, so that's out for a couple years at least; so If I did carry, it would be probably limited to certain nights downtown and the couple times a year I have to visit Detroit, in which case it really wouldn't and doesn't bother me to dress appropriately (these times are in the winter usually) or to carry a heavy gun; i'm a weight-lifter with an excellent GALCO belt, I hardly even notice the weight of my Ruger MK II, and I've worn my buddies 1911 for 4+ hours at our local range and not been at all bothered.

So My point is just that that purchase would likely come later, but I appreciate the advice, as the sheer size of the pistol I want would make EDC uncomfortable.
Old November 11, 2012, 01:20 PM   #6
8MM Mauser

Quote:
I guess it kinda depends what you might be used to, or which you personally feel is safer. If you're like me, a 1911 and early CZ75 guy, you're not real big on decockers... in fact, you might even consider the 75B-SA, which is currently the only 75B I own.
I like the SA trigger quite a bit and don't have to deal with a DA trigger, or a "magazine brake". You can take the mag brake out of a B or a BD if you want, so that's not such a big deal.

Anyway, bla bla bla... try them both, or rather if possible, try them all and figure it out for yourself.

C
Solid advice. I don't think I would feel unsafe carrying "cocked and locked" at all.

The reasons I like this gun are:

1) SA "cocked and locked" ability

2) Hammer-fired

3) runs like a classic gun, but capable of DA/SA if I felt better about that for whatever reason or my wife had to use it in a self-defense scenario. In other words, I probably wouldn't leave it in the safe cocked and locked, but set up to fire as a DA/SA.

4) It's a good looking gun, but not a beauty pageant winner, it looks serious.

5) All STEEL

6) Value, from what I have read, you get the performance of an expensive 1911 or a SIG for 500-600 dollars? Sign me right on up!

7) Variants, as mentioned in an earlier post, I could get a very similar gun in compact (P-01) or polymer-framed (P-07) and have an option for every-day carry with the same weapon system.
Old November 11, 2012, 01:24 PM   #7
Sparks1957

I have both the 75B with the manual safety, and a P-01 with the decocker. I like both of them a lot, but your preference will depend on which action you are most highly trained to use and what your intended purpose for the gun is.

The 75B is a great range gun. It's a bit too big for carry, at least as far as I'm concerned. So, it has become one of my favorite range guns, especially now that I have the .22 conversion kit for it. Having that first shot in SA makes for some really nice target shooting.

My P-01 is intended more as a carry gun if I'm out in the woods or if there is ever a societal breakdown (I have smaller 9mms for daily carry). Since most of my guns are DA/SA actions, it is the action that is burned into my instincts... I don't want to have to remember to flick off a safety in a crisis.

CZs are just amazing guns for the price. The triggers smooth out with use, and though they're no match for my Sigs in that regard, they make up for any shortcomings with their excellent ergonomics.
Old November 11, 2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Zhillsauditor

I prefer decocker models myself; however, I realize carrying condition is a matter of taste and training. So, what you are familiar with is the way to go.

That being said, the decocker model's trigger is more difficult to work on than the safety only trigger. So, if you intend to have work done, or do it yourself, you may want to check out some of the youtube videos on disassembly to see how different each model disassembles.

I hear that the omega triggers on the newest models is an upgrade, but have no experience with them.
Old November 11, 2012, 03:41 PM   #9
RadioFlyer8

I have the CZ75 BD and am a firm believer a safety is worthless on a pistol unless it's SAO, there is just no need for it in my mind. The CZ 75 has a HEAVY DA pull, heavier than my CW9 which I carry daily. I don't have any thought in my mind of accidentally firing a round.
Old November 11, 2012, 04:02 PM   #10
8MM Mauser

Sparks: Thanks for your input. I'm most used to guns with a safety, as what I have fired by far the most is my Ruger MK II (probably like 5000 rounds) my buddies Springfield mil-spec (bout 500-600 rounds.) It is second nature to me to flick the safety off as I daw from my holster. That said, I have probably put about 1000 through a DA/SA USP and a DA/SA Ruger P95 and a couple hundred rounds through a Glock 19. Out of the mix, I didn't find the DA/SA switch on the USP or the Ruger very disturbing. I would only carry this heavy gun on very rare occasions.

I would love to own a SIG someday, but

Zhillsauditor: I doubt a trigger job would be in my budget for the forseeable future, attaining the gun will be a bit of a stetch. I have considered getting the Omega though.

Radioflyer8: I agree, but as I understand it, the safety is only on the 75B if you want to carry "cocked and locked" like a 1911, making that first shot an SA shot anyway. But I take your point nonetheless. I guess what I like about this gun is that I could carry it in Condition 1 myself, but I could also keep it loaded, with the hammer down and safety off in the safe in case my wife ever needed to use it; that way she wouldn't have the extra step (which she would likely miss) of turning off the safety.

I really appreciate everyone's opinion! And you know, if anyone has a cool looking example of this fine series of handguns I would not be adverse to some pics...
Old November 11, 2012, 04:25 PM   #11
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8MM Mauser
Zhillsauditor: I doubt a trigger job would be in my budget for the forseeable future, attaining the gun will be a bit of a stetch.
You can order a CZ with a trigger job already done from CZ Custom... the only problem is that Rob is out of stock for most guns with no firm known delivery date. Or, order the parts and do it yourself... if you've mechanically got your ducks in a row.
Old November 11, 2012, 05:27 PM   #12
lll Otto lll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8MM Mauser
Value, from what I have read, you get the performance of an expensive 1911 or a SIG for 500-600 dollars? Sign me right on up!
Not quite. Out of the box CZ's have crappy triggers. You have two options to remedy this; install a Cajun Gunworks trigger or send it to a gunsmith. CZ Custom charges around $225 for a 4lb trigger. A do-it-youself job will run around $125 with a CGW kit.
Secondly, you're buying a gun with a cast metal frame not forged.
Third, most if not all CZ's have barrel-to-bushing play and there's no easy fix for it like there is for a 1911.
I own a CZ Custom CZ 75 SHADOW T SAO and a CZ75b stainless with a CGW trigger job.
I ordered a 97b this spring but upon inspection, I had the FLL dealer send it back to Buds because the QC was unacceptable.
Old November 11, 2012, 05:30 PM   #13
Creeper

Quote:
I ordered a 97b this spring but upon inspection, I had the FLL dealer send it back to Buds because the QC was unacceptable.
What was the issue?
Old November 11, 2012, 07:39 PM   #14
8MM Mauser

Otto: I've heard mixed reviews on the out-of-the-box quality, some have said they were great and some said not so great. I don't expect a custom shop gun and I admit I probably overstated my previous post.

I could probably do the job myself, and my professional gunsmith grandpa is always a phone call away.

For someone used to SIGs maybe it's not perfection, but the only way I'm getting a SIG anytime soon is if I win one...

I find it extremely surprising based in what I've read that the QC was that bad, I know the internals can be rough, but that surprises me.

Also, I couldn't care less about the cast metal frame, they used to make cannons out of cast metal after all...
Old November 11, 2012, 10:14 PM   #15
1-UP

Have owned a 75BD for maybe 5 years now. I like the gun quite a bit now, but when I first got it I couldn't hit a target for beans. The trigger was lousy and I don't think I was used to the recoil. After shooting and shooting and shooting it everything just sort of magically clicked. Not sure if the trigger wore in or if I just got a feel for the gun.

Everything said and done, I probably would change two things about my purchase. First of all, I think I'd go for the safety model. I never use the decocker and I never use safeties on my other pistols, but I do like to do trigger work and the extra bits and pieces have delayed me from digging into this one.

Secondly, I really wish I would have gotten the slightly smaller model (forget what variation it was called). I think that extra 1" off the size would make it more reasonable for carry. When I first bought the gun I'd intended on just using it as a range gun because carrying wasn't really on my radar. Now I find myself needing to buy a new pistol (darn) for carrying when the CZ could have served admirably.
Old November 12, 2012, 07:11 AM   #16
TJx

My advice would be to stay open-minded to any of the versions.
The BD is the easiest to find compared to the others.
In the several months I have been into CZ's I have yet to see a SA even for sale. That being said I haven't been obsessed with finding one either.
Even seeing a CZ75/85 at a gun show is pretty uncommon.
If you brave enough for Birch Run on Thanksgiving weekend after Obama winning try that and buy any version if you can find one new for under $500.
Old November 12, 2012, 07:47 AM   #17
Dashunde

If your picking a full size 75b I'd say go with the double action with a safety.
Its a heavy gun and will most likely see more range duty than anything, a manual safety is handy there.

If your picking a PCR or one of the alloy compacts I'd say go with the decocker.

I had a 75b SA - it didnt have the flat spots at the front of the slide and its frame was a little different with a beavertail. It came stock with a terrible trigger (rought & gritty). I didnt like it at all for pure accuracy, but it shot very well in rapid fire.
Old November 12, 2012, 10:09 AM   #18
Pilot

Quote:
If your picking a PCR or one of the alloy compacts I'd say go with the decocker.
The lightweight alloy CZ PCR, and P-01 are only available for now in the U.S. as decockers. The polymer P-07, has the Omega trigger system which is switchable.

I don't see many CZ's a local gun stores. The response I get from many is, "we don't get many requests for them, but those that want them know what they want".
Old November 12, 2012, 12:13 PM   #19
Zhillsauditor

Here's a good price on a CZ 75 P01. I've had a lot of CZs pass through my hands, but my P01 is my favorite. I did have the trigger worked on, however, by my gunsmith. I've had a BD, a SA from the custom shop, a B, and an 83. All were good pistols, but my P01 was just right, to borrow the fairy tale phrasing.

http://grabagun.com/cz-75-d-comp-9mm...dl-2-14rd.html
Old November 12, 2012, 08:05 PM   #20
8MM Mauser

Good advice all! I'll have to do some shooting and asses what I like best...!

Zhisaauditor: thanks for the lead! That's a great price!
Old November 14, 2012, 08:59 AM   #21
LarryFlew

Secondly, you're buying a gun with a cast metal frame not forged.

Old wives tale - ALL steel CZ's are hammer forged and always have been.

"Yes, the raw material for frame is hammer forged ...

Best regards

RADOMIR J A R K O
CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPT.

ČESKÁ ZBROJOVKA A.S.
SVATOPLUKA ČECHA 1283
688 27 UHERSKÝ BROD, CZECH REPUBLIC
Tel. : +420 572 651 200
Mobile: +420 737 226 009
Fax: +420 572 633 811
Mail: [email protected]
WWW.CZUB.CZ"

Last edited by LarryFlew; November 14, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old November 14, 2012, 02:44 PM   #22
mumbo719

For carry I like the BD

For range or competition I like the safety.