The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 18, 2011, 02:51 PM   #1
MarbRed88

Mossberg 590a1 stock question

I got a Mossberg 590a1 a few years back. The recoil pad is a little too thick for me. Is their a thinner pad for it? I don't trust my skill to size it down myself without potentially ruining the pad. Also was thinking of a 6 position stock for it.
If i decide to go the 6 position route what brands have the best quality? I know there are a lot of Chinese crap out there. If anyone has other stock or even pistol grip suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old October 19, 2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Slopemeno

I'd just look for a youth stock.
Old October 19, 2011, 07:00 AM   #3
quepasakimosabe

http://www.shotgun500tactical.com/Mo...tocks-s/23.htm

My firend got one from here and it works great His was the ATI adjustable, befre you go and buy a fore end do some measurements first so you get the correct size because they differ, I believe the 2006 and up models change completly.
Old October 19, 2011, 08:29 AM   #4
natman

Before you get any sort of a pistol grip stock for a Mossberg, try to manipulate the safety and slide release on a gun that already has one. They are easy to use on a conventional stock and really awkward on a PG stock.
Old October 21, 2011, 11:45 AM   #5
MarbRed88

Thanks for the advice, i appreciate it. a youth stock could work. Also i used to have a PG on a mossy and it was a bit of a pain to switch the safety about. This may sound like a novice question, but what exactly is a telescopic stock?
Old October 21, 2011, 11:54 AM   #6
MarbRed88

http://www.shotgun500tactical.com/Me...mtg-93180-.htm

I was looking at this particular model. Do these stocks work well with plain old bead sight or does the stock itself obscure the bead? I may just go with a standard youth stock, but id like to make it more tacti-cool. If anyone knows how much the youth or standard mossy stock weighs, im curious to see how much a difference the almost 2lb Mesa stock will make. Thanks again.