The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 29, 2011, 11:12 PM   #1
4T4MAG

New Build Ideas...

I am going to build a new rifle and have been looking at a few different barrels and actions. I am wanting to shoot 600 yds. I have never shot a 1000 yds but would like to. Cal. is still a little open. I am looking at .300WM .338Lapua. What Cal should I be looking at for this build?

For the barrel I am looking at Krieger or Lilja.

For the action I was thinking about going with a Surgeon. Any other recommends?

The stock I will be using a McMillan.

What trigger should I use?
Old October 3, 2011, 05:41 PM   #2
saands

Before you pick your caliber, look at (study) what projectiles are available. I started off shooting in that 800-1000yd range with a .30 cal (both 308Win and 300WM) and quickly got frustrated by the scarcity of high BC bullets on the market. I made myself a 7mm-08 AckImp and had WAY more effective range (and fun) with that than I did with the 300WM. Plus it uses HALF of the powder that a WinMag does! I usually build on Mauser 98 actions, so when I wanted to step up another notch, I built a 330 Dakota because it was the biggest 338 that I could find to put on a Mauser. With it's 27" bbl. we hold our own with the bigger 338's but I do know that I could have done more if I had been willing to go all-in with the 338 LM or one of the Rem Ultra Mags in 338. Anyway, I do all my own machining so convenience, familiarity, and cost came into play.

Good luck,

Saands
Old October 3, 2011, 06:04 PM   #3
mapsjanhere

If you're reloading, look into the RUM series, the brass is beltless and (IMO) easier to reload than the belted magnums. My 300 shoots well with Berger 210 VLD, and has a Lilja barrel in a defiance action.