The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 3, 2000, 10:47 AM   #1
Silicon

Ok guys, time for me to go back to work... seems i've got some time in West Africa (Guinea Bissau) doing security sweeps... any ideas on what i can come up against down there?
Old August 3, 2000, 05:45 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Aside from the usual Web searches, there might be some info at http://www.stratfor.com

They keep up with political stuff on a daily basis, world-wide.

Regards, Art
Old August 4, 2000, 10:37 PM   #3
Gingivitis

I used to live in Conakry, Guinea 96-98 and I've never been to Guinea-Bissau but threat wise they're probably pretty similiar. The main problems we had were robberies and carjacking but other than that expats weren't directly targeted. The same precautions you take against terrorism will also protect you against crime. Since you can't count on the local police you should turn one of your bedrooms into a safehaven w/ a cellphone or 2 way radio and maybe a firearm. At the time Liberia and Sierra Leone were having a party so there were large numbers of refugees moving north but they didn't cause many problems. I don't know how stable Guinea-Bissau's government is but coups happen on a regular basis in W. Africa and dependents were routinely evacuated to Europe. You might also have an emergency bag w/ your passport, cash, credit cards, clothes, etc ready to go in case you have to evacuate too. As for intelligence threats there really isn't much over there compared to some places.

We purchased most of our perishable food (fruit/vegetables/meat) at the local markets and once a month we'd receive a shipment of food from the States via a Canadian mining company. I don't know if you're w/ an American agency but most embassies/consulates can get bulkfood shipments flown in from the states. Also don't forget to soak your produce in a bleach/H2O mixture before eating it. As to the locally prepared food there's usually nothing but rice and sauce which is okay but make sure it's cooked well and hasn't been sitting around too long. Another important thing is DON'T DRINK THE WATER because you'll get giardiasis or amoebic dysentery!!! Either treat your water or use bottled water and at restraunts make sure the waiter lets you open the bottle; sometimes they fill used bottles from the tap and say they opened it in the kitchen. W. Africa also has alot of malaria so you'll have to take mephaquine(sp) once a week. If you take prescription drugs you should also have at least a two week supply stored away incase you have difficulaties getting more.

There are lots of negatives about W. Africa but I had a great time there and when I'm done w/ college I'm hoping to go back. I hope this helps and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

[This message has been edited by Gingivitis (edited August 04, 2000).]