The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 17, 2008, 01:09 PM   #1
mudlark

Virgin brass (Starline) for first go/with cast bullets?

Gentlemen,

I'm getting components together for my first try at loading .38 and .357.

Initially I planned on picking up some once fired or virgin brass from some online supplier but find .357 hard to find at a reasonable price/quantity issues/shipping costs for partial orders, etc, etc.

Then I came upon some Starline brass at a somewhat local shop priced a little more than once fired but cheaper than other big name brands. I was not familiar with the brand so I ran it through a search.

For the most part the stuff gets excellent reviews as brass goes.

Except... I came upon someones post claiming the stuff is so good it causes problems with the seating of cast bullets, supposedly because of a slightly thicker case wall.

Fact or more internet forum BS?? Possibly the author just did not have his expander die adjusted properly - but hey, I'm certainly no John Wooters!

Being new at loading metallic and planning on using cast bullets I need as little glitches as possible.

Comments on Starline brass in general? Anyone using the stuff? Any problems with cast bullets?

It is the best price I've found on virgin brass and the guy has the quantity I want to get up and runnin'.

Thanks.
Old May 17, 2008, 01:22 PM   #2
rwilson452

Starline is good stuff. it was likely the loader didn't expand the mouth enough.
Old May 17, 2008, 02:25 PM   #3
WESHOOT2

all good

I've claimed "When in doubt buy Starline".

Plus the company enthusiastically supports our shooting sports.

I've used Starline in 9x19, 9x21, 38 Special, 38 Super, 357 Magnum, 40 S&W, 10mm, 400 CorBon, 44 Magnum, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt.
Old May 18, 2008, 06:09 AM   #4
xtargeeter

I've used Starline in a variety of calibers with both jacketed and cast bullets. No problems at all.
Old May 18, 2008, 07:26 AM   #5
Sevens

Starline brass has a monumentally good rep in this industry, but no brass is perfect.

IMO, I really put a lot of effort in to making my money go the furthest-- with that in mind, I would certainly buy Starline brass for heavy .357 loads, or .44 Mag, or 10mm, or anything that high horsepower. But for .38 Special? I'll use almost anything other than A-Merc and S&B and not worry about it. It's a real powder-puff and I wouldn't spend the dough for Starline in that caliber. And while .38 isn't as popular and plentiful as it used to be (back in the 80s it practically came in free sample packets in the mail), I still think it's darn cheap to find once-fired .38 Special.