The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 12, 2000, 03:01 PM   #1
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The honeydew list was whittled down nicely, so I got to go to the range today(G). Since my deer 870 was zeroed already, I took the 30-30 and my HD 870. Slug of choice for this was the Rottweil Brenneke, but I have run low and since it's primarily a 00 shooter, no big thing. But since I have lots of the KOs, due to the low price, I figured to try them out.

Range was fairly crowded, since the hunter sight in was on. But, I got everything set up and settled in to re zero and try out the KOs. Since this shotgun weighs over 9 lbs with the SS loaded but the mag empty, I skipped the wearable recoil pad and got to work bare shouldered.

First, I tried a few at 25 yards, and they were hitting higher than the old slugs. Maybe 6 inches higher, in fact. So, I moved the sights and got it printing where it should, and then moved to a 50 yard target. A few sighters to fine tune the zero, and I set to work....

Results, cloverleafs. Two three shot groups were two holes. One for each group. So,for the first time in my experience, both of my slug shooters do well with the same slug. Huzzah!!

I think I'll pick up another 50 rounds of these, "Dicks"(aptly named)still has them on sale for $1.99/5 pack.No such thing as too much ammo.

A coupla things...

This doesn't mean these are intrinsically more accurate than other slugs, it means I got lucky. Another 870 set up identically may not keep them in the same Zip Code.

And, this particular piece has a clean 4 lb trigger.My 30-30 has about a 7 lb trigger (soon to be corrected), and shot groups roghly the same size at 50 yards.

Effectiveness on deer sized game is a given. All 12 ga slugs are excellent performers when inserted correctly.

Qquestions, comments, donations?
Old November 12, 2000, 11:56 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Erick - mine (Dicks in Columbia, South Carolina) had the plastic base. Grouping was similar out of my 870.

Giz
Old November 13, 2000, 12:48 AM   #3
Marko Kloos

Just be careful with the Brennekes....some folks don't realize that they have the grooves imparted on the slug, and aren't saboted. My boss went shooting with a box of Brennekes and his Hi-Standard 12ga. with 26" bird barrel with full choke...and came back from the shooting session with an 18" deer slug barrel. The Brenneke had split the barrel end and blown the choke out of the gun. Ouch...

------------------
"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice." -- Albert Einstein
---
Glock/Benelli/Enfield -- the all-purpose threat management system.

[This message has been edited by lendringser (edited November 13, 2000).]
Old November 15, 2000, 10:32 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Erick, molded plastic bases, just like Giz's. I think the Rottweils are the only ones still using felt, might account for the higher price.

Lendringser, few shotguns other than old doubles will bust up on a solid slug, but it does happen.Open chokes give better accuracy,
usually.

The old Polychoke would sometimes bust a "Petal" off if either big buckshot or slugs were used when it was screwed down to full.
Old November 15, 2000, 10:31 PM   #5
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Columbia- is that near Waynesboro, Georgia? I'll be in Waynesboro to hunt with Spartacus starting next Monday. I know he works in SC...