The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 11, 2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Renuco612

XD9 or Glock 17 as first gun.

What are y'all thoughts on these two pistols? I've held them both and the XD9 does feel so much better. The price is about the same so.that's a good thing. Is the Xdm 9mm really worth it?

My original choice was a p226 but i missed out by an hour. Someone got it right before i got to the LGS.
Old March 11, 2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Gaerek

57k will probably get on here after me and basically try to tell you that the XD is a super gun compared to the Glock.

Bottom line is, they're both good guns. They put holes where you want them to put holes. I'd recommend shooting both and seeing what you like better. You can't really go wrong either way.

My preference is the Glock, but all that is, is a preference. If you like the XD9 better, go for it...and that's coming from a committed Glock shooter.
Old March 11, 2013, 05:55 PM   #3
blackamos

I bought Glock's but I have shot both. What ever you like the feel of more. Both are great guns.
Old March 11, 2013, 05:58 PM   #4
max it

xd xd xd xd glock xd xd xd

both good? yes but
glock has a european cant to the grip
xd is more like a 1911
i shoot xd, and 1911 both have similar egonomics,
and for that matter so does my ruger 22/45.

happy hunting
Old March 11, 2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Renuco612

The XD does fit my hand better. My thoughts are if the pistol doesn't fit your hand before you even fire it then it shouldn't be something you shoot. The XD does have more of a 1911 feel to it which is more comfortable.
Old March 11, 2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

If the XD has a better feel to you that is an important consideration. Both are reliable firearms. I have variations of both, but not in 9MM. An XD40 Subcompact, and a Glock 20. I am happy with both of theme, and have never had a bit of trouble with either.
One thing I'll add. I like the addition of the grip safety on the XD for a first time handgun owner.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 11, 2013, 06:33 PM   #7

Quote:
57k will probably get on here after me and basically try to tell you that the XD is a super gun compared to the Glock.
"Supergun" compared to the G17 is a stretch but there are advantanges favoring the XD, IMO. It has a relieved ejection port where Glocks don't, better sights, conventional rifling to shoot cast lead bullets better if you handload. Then there's the more conventional grip angle of the XD, which you've already noticed. If you modify either pistol's trigger, it's cheaper to do with the G17, but since the XD's is single action, PRP kits come with overtravel stops on the trigger. So, not only will you get a lighter than factory trigger, you can also eliminate overtravel and prevent excessive follow through when you press the trigger. Other than that, I believe the G17 & 19s are the best of all Glocks.

I would opt for the XDm though, and believe it's worth the slightly higher price. With the interchangeable backstraps you can use the #2 medium to get an identical feel of the XD. Then you have options of smaller of larger grip dimensions. When you disassemble an XDm, you don't have to pull the trigger to remove the slide like an XD or Glock. It's a small issue, but still safer, but everyone should always make sure a pistol is unloaded before you disassemble.

Opinions vary on the match grade barrel issue with the XDm, but HS Produkt who actually makes the pistols are using and inspecting for tighter tolerances when they manufacture and rifle the barrel. The XDm is actually closer in size to the G17 with it's 4.5" barrel. Something I've found interesting is that the barrel in my XDm is the easiest barrel to clean of any semi-auto I've ever owned (which includes SIG, H&K and Glocks). I attribute that to the excellent steel used by HS Produkt and velocities in their barrels run faster than typical for other pistols with the same barrel length.
Old March 11, 2013, 06:39 PM   #8
BigJimP

Buy the one that fits your hands the best...and the grip angle you like the best !!

Nothing else matters....

You'd probably be happy with either gun ...but a Sig 226 is a way better gun than either of them in my view / although if I had to pick one, on your list, it would be the XD because of the grip angle ( to me ) but its your hands, not what fits my hands...
Old March 11, 2013, 06:50 PM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

Glock 17 by a long shot. Most definitely.

XD for a range toy.

Glock for serious use.
Old March 11, 2013, 06:51 PM   #10
Gaerek

Like I said...

And also as I said, you can't go wrong with either. They're both fine guns, and will shoot where you want them to. Pick which one works best for you. My feelings won't be hurt if you pick XD, and I'm confident enough in my choice of gun, that I don't need to talk about why my preference is better than another preference.

Shoot what works for you...x100
Old March 11, 2013, 06:56 PM   #11

Well that's fine for you, especially if you don't handload, but when someone is just starting out in choosing a new pistol, the facts are always relevant.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:32 PM   #12
DFM914

Both are outstanding choices!
Old March 11, 2013, 07:35 PM   #13
seeker073180

P226 was my first handgun. Spoiled. Love it. Adapting to my XDm 45. Getting used to it. Might be worth the PRP trigger kit. No one has said it, but if you originally wanted the 226 it's definitely worth it to wait/find one.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:48 PM   #14
Wreck-n-Crew

To tell you the truth the Glock took the world by storm and they remind me of Cleveland Browns fans in that good or bad season in that Glock lovers are loyal.

Not saying the Glock had a bad season, or gun, just that they bring a loyalty and i think that is because of their polymer design and use by many police forces.

I am partial to S&W but i know that they are not considered as one of the elite anymore and that doesn't bother me...i'm a loyal guy and i loved the XD9, have no quarrels with the Glock, more experience with the XD9...I say XD9 for my personal preference.

Just shot so well, recoil recovery to target had me tight grouping and i loved the feel of the grip.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:56 PM   #15
mayosligo

They are both good pistols. Feel is important. I don't think you will be unhappy with either. I have an XD 9 and have out about 1000 round through and have been very happy. I did not get the Glock because I did not like the feel of the handle angle.
Old March 11, 2013, 08:03 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

Quote:
XD for a range toy.

Glock for serious use.
The Springfield Amory XD not for serious use?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 11, 2013, 08:07 PM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
XD for a range toy.

Glock for serious use.
You just read it on the internet folks, it must be true!
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 11, 2013, 08:30 PM   #18
Rmart30

XDM feels better to me and Ive had zero failures with my XDM's with thousands of rounds thru them of all types of ammo.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:14 PM   #19
Tactical Jackalope

Lmao. I don't know guys. Just me. It boils down to the bullets it shoots and such not so much the gun.

But I have a hard time, (I know I'm wrong I know. Should think this way) taking XD's, PPQ's, and other new guns like that seriously.

My SIG's and Glocks are my "life on the line" secondary.

Not even my 1911's are. They're range toys to me too.

I had an issue arise tonight for example. No specifics, but I had to retrieve my AR.

People look too into handguns. Just get one you can seriously and that won't let you down or mess up.

CCW isn't that hard. Up to you and what you like. I just have my opinion. I can say why and justify why I don't take those certain guns seriously but..don't wanna do the Internet tango. I'm on here to ask questions and learn and such.

You're all my buddies. ::group hug::
Old March 11, 2013, 09:33 PM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
My SIG's and Glocks are my "life on the line" secondary.
And those are certainly reliable weapons. But they're far from the only ones. In the 33 pistols, 34 tonight, I have owned I've seen issues with many brands, including SIG and Glock. No one brand is magical, everyone produces a lemon. I'd certainly say M&Ps are "serious" guns. My State Police traded in their SIG P220s for them and they have gained a large police following. I understand the gripes about the XDs but I have never personally seen a failure with them. I for one would hate to live in a world where all I had to choose from was Glock and SIG.

Last edited by TunnelRat; March 11, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:43 PM   #21
Tactical Jackalope

Oh man. I love M&P's. Wish we had those. I'm trying to get my hands on one. M&P-9 Pro Series makes me warm inside.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:56 PM   #22
TunnelRat

That's another thought OP, have you looked at an M&P?
Old March 11, 2013, 10:15 PM   #23
shootalot523

If it's for concealed carry I love my Glock 26 & Glock 19. the 26 is easy to conceal and shoots great. The XD 9 is also nice and does have better grip angle. Glock magazines and parts are way easier to get than the XD line. Just something to consider. Can't go wrong with either.
Old March 11, 2013, 10:41 PM   #24
blackamos

With all my Glocks, 1911's and Sig's I still grab my J frame or my LCR most days.
Old March 11, 2013, 11:51 PM   #25
mrvco

My first handgun was a P226 because it felt good in my hand, my second handgun was a Glock because I was better at hitting what I was aiming at with it.

The XD's never really appealed to me for some reason, but I know a lot of folks swear by them.