The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 5, 2008, 11:35 PM   #1
Iamwhoiam

Found a Remington 870 in grandmas garage!

Hey guys was looking through my grandmas garage 2 days ago and I found a Remington 870 20ga Wingmaster. It's just a receiver, magazine tube, bolt, and stock no forearm.
I don't know where it came from or whats its status, but I do have an uncle in prison and there is a possibility that it may have been his. How can I check if it is stolen? It's missing a trigger guard/group, barrel, endcap, and forearm. If this gun is legal, I would like to resore it to working order just for the fun of it. The gun if stolen must have been here since the 80s it has no finish at all just discoloration. What would you do? Will I get in trouble if it's stolen? I just found it you know.
Old December 6, 2008, 01:52 AM   #2
zippy13

Have you asked your grandma about it?
Old December 6, 2008, 02:48 AM   #3
RedneckFur

Ask grandma what she knows about it first. It may have been an uncles, or grandpa's. Sounds like somone tried to "fix" it and never put it back together.

870's are simple, rugged, reliable shotguns, but considering the number of parts that are missing, I'd have a gunsmigh give it a look over before rebuilding it.
Old December 6, 2008, 10:53 AM   #4
Iamwhoiam

Yeah that was my first thing was that I asked about it. She doesn't know of course. So I'll just dispose of it huh? I wanted to keep it since I told my fiancee I wasn't buying anymore guns. If I could fix it up my self it would be a little learning experience. I figure it couldn't hurt. I just don't want to get in trouble here.
Old December 6, 2008, 10:54 AM   #5
Iamwhoiam

I found a new 870 stock on the highroad for 20$ so theres a start right?
Old December 6, 2008, 11:41 AM   #6
ebutler462

First, have the police run the SN. Get that out of the way first. Don't volunteer the info about your uncle. Just tell the LEO that you found it in the garage and you want to fix it up. I've done it many times for citizens who wanted to keep on the right side of the law. If the SN comes back as a hit, you will lose the gun. The fact that you came forward with it will keep you off the hook. BTW, just take the SN, not the gun to a LEO that you know. If it is a hit, get the gun for him.

Then start buying parts and fix up that gun. You will enjoy it.
Old December 6, 2008, 04:46 PM   #7
dgludwig

Quote:
I wanted to keep it since I told my fiancee I wasn't buying anymore guns.
I think you need some serious advice on things other than what to do with a found gun.
Old December 6, 2008, 07:25 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Assuming this is legal, no time limits are in place. You can build things at your leisure.

Does the serial number END with X,N or K? That will determine what parts fit.
Old December 7, 2008, 04:26 AM   #9
guntotin_fool

Son, you need to understand that marriage vows, honesty, and all that are wonderful, but they stop at guns and fishing. Its in the Man CODE 101.1

She wont tell you about purses, shoes and the stuff she needs once a month, you will not tell her about guns, boats, fishing stuff or how much you actually paid for the "free" puppy you just got with the bloodlines better researched than your own. ......

Other than that, keep looking for a coffee can or shoe box in that garage, you may find the rest of the parts yet. Have fun/
Old December 7, 2008, 11:04 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

AMEN!!! It is all in the wording! When I get a new dog it is "given to me" the guy opended up his kennel and "GAVE" it to me... although I may have given him a fat stack of dead presidents we just leave that part out...
When discussing the dog in the future with buddies or on the net never say "Man this dog sure was worth the thousand dollars I "gave" for him"...
Glad momma ain't on this forum
Brent
Old December 7, 2008, 02:06 PM   #11
.300 Weatherby Mag

"I wanted to keep it since I told my fiancee I wasn't buying anymore guns."

My dad told my mother that right after they got married... They've been married almost 30 years now and my mother still gives him hell over that stupid comment he made.... Especially when he's considering making a new addition to his collection... Never make that promise!!!!

Edit:
My mom doesn't give a crap about him buying more guns... She's just entertained by the fact my dad was stupid enough to make that comment.....
Old December 7, 2008, 04:15 PM   #12
Rugerforlife

870 Question

Does removing the trigger assembly from a Remington 870 cause damage to any parts of the shotgun?

I have taken apart one of my 870's to better understand how the firearm works. I have noticed that the trigger assembly is slightly looser then when I initially purchased the firearm, being that it moves side to side very slightly. Do you think this could create a problem? It is shooting fine right now.
Old December 7, 2008, 04:31 PM   #13
zippy13

Greetings, Rugerforlife, and welcome aboard.

You question is a little off topic for this thread. You'll get a lot better response if you start a new thread. There are quite a few 870 experts who will be happy to help you.

May I suggest:
Copy your question to a new thread and then edit this one with a reference to your new one.