The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 26, 2008, 09:54 AM   #26
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

onthejon55, don't throw it in the creek. Butcher it out; it's some of the best meat you'll ever throw a liplock on. Barbecue the hams.

Ya wanna check for Big Kitty? Sweep the ground under a tree limb so you can see any tracks left by any visitors. Take a piece of rag and soak it in bacon grease. Tie it about waist- to head-high. There WILL be visitors, and possibly BK will drop by.

There's a mountain about a half-mile south of my house where generations of mama mountain lions have made a home base. From time to time, Handsome Stranger drops by to ensure an ongoing supply of lion cubs. I can set my fisted hand flat in the track and have about an inch of pawprint outside my hand.

A few years back I was meddling around on a ranch about three miles north of my house. Within a two-mile stretch were the tracks of five different lions, all laid down the previous night. Sometimes it looks like we're bum deep in lion poop.
Old November 26, 2008, 10:35 AM   #27
grymster2007

Quote:
Take a piece of rag and soak it in bacon grease. Tie it about waist- to head-high.
I might have to give this a try. With all the deer and the seemingly well-suited countryside, I find it hard to imagine the big cats aren't around. My ground is a bit rocky for finding prints, but maybe I could embellish with some soil from the yard.

Biggest problem is, I won't usually give up a bacon grease soaked rag.
Old November 26, 2008, 10:40 AM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Grym... Unscented talcum powder sprinkled under the rag will take a print on rock...
Brent
Old November 26, 2008, 10:49 AM   #29
jdscholer

By the way, I've got my own cougar story and it goes like this.
A buddy and I were looking for a good firewood snag to cut and stopped in a pretty good spot to call a coyote. Had the 10-22 and the call and that was it.
We walked about a quarter mile from the pick-up and sat under a tree. No camo. Ed took the rifle, I used the call. We sat back to back, with him looking the best direction.
After about 10 minutes, I felt Ed raise the gun, and he wispered, "It's a cougar!" I says, "It's probably a bobcat. Kill it!" He says,"Cougar." I say,"How long is the tail?" He says,"Three *****ing feet."
At that point I decided to turn and look, and he was right. It was sitting in the road, 35 yards away, switching its tail back and forth. It was huge and it was beautiful. And here is where it got kind of freakey. The cat sat there for several seconds while we decided whether or not to shoot. -decided no- We passed the rifle back and forth to look with the 4X scope. He still sat there. We finally stood up, facing him, and walked out in the road, and he STILL SAT THERE. Finally he wheeled around and bounded up the road the same direction he had come from.
I was most impressed with the size of him, and how smooth he moved. Also the way he showed no real fear for us even when it was obvious that we were human.
I now buy a tag every year, and hopefully will see one when I'm a little more prepaired. jd
Old November 26, 2008, 11:07 AM   #30
grymster2007

Quote:
Unscented talcum powder sprinkled under the rag will take a print on rock...
All my talcum powder is lavender-bouquet scented

Thanks Hogdogs!
Old November 26, 2008, 11:15 AM   #31
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

"lavender-bouquet scented" That may be just the bait for a BK... He will think some little vegan gal has just skipped her way thru...
Just ribbing you a bit... Not implying you are a tree eating bunny kicker or nothin'...
Brent
Old November 26, 2008, 06:20 PM   #32
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

jdscholer,

Beware animals that are not acting according to their nature. I was at a campfire at hunt camp one night shooting the bull with my cousins. Then a gray fox walked up to the fire among us. My young cousins were all excited and ready to put a collar on it. They were a mite upset when I shot it.

They didn't know that it was probably rabid until I told them. Or injured.

I captured a red fox one night that was standing in the road when I was about their age. I did have sense enough to capture it with a heavy quilt instead of picking it up.

Took it to a game warden who caged it in his back yard. Even though there were no visible injuries, that fox died before morning. Only thing we could figure was it got hit by a car and had a brain injury.

Shot a buck one day that was just standing there about twenty five yards away in a clearing looking at me as I walked. It was in the open and I was in the open. It just stood there looking at me. After I shot it, I walked up to it. One antler had been torn completely out of its head. The antler didn't break off...a piece of the buck's skull came out with it. I could see down into sinus type bone maybe an inch or so down. It was dry with no sign of infection or insect infestation. Everything else about the deer seemed normal physically. But I left that deer there. The coyotes ate well that night. Better safe than sorry.
Old November 27, 2008, 02:09 PM   #33
Drachenstein

Yea, we don't have cougars here in KY. I live on property adjoining the Ft Knox reservation. A large dark gray cat with a long tale ate every one of my guinea hens one by one. My neighbor’s hens and chickens too. The game warden said we don't have cougars but if I did see it shoot it and they'll dispose of the carcass. Oh! Did I mention the 3x4 inch tracks next to a pile of blood and feathers? The warden said when they get older they go after easy prey. I had my Darwin moment going after it at dusk; when I realized I may no longer be the hunter. On the brighter side it did get rid of the feral dogs, which use to be a problem around here.

We didn’t have any bears in the region either until a news crew captured it absolutely destroying some garbage cans. The News station played a Game Warden stating that contrary to rumors there are no bears in northern Kentucky, they then showed the video. It was hilarious.

The one that made me snicker was years past; the Commanding General of Ft Knox declaring and writing a policy letter informing all concerned that there are no poisonous snakes on the Ft. Knox. Unfortunately none of the snakes receive the policy letter or just ignored it, as did we.
Old November 27, 2008, 03:52 PM   #34
jughead2

cougars

aint any in my town either but a neighbor had one jump his fence and chase his dog. he lives about 1/2 mi. from me. i will stick with s-s-s. and drive on.
Old November 28, 2008, 10:12 AM   #35
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

While I agree with Byron about odd-ball behavior in animals, cougars are different. They tend to believe they're the Boss Hog at the top of the food chain. They're also rather curious about trespassers on their turf.

Cougars may or may not show any fear of people. You just never know. The first one I ever saw spooked from the noise of my truck at maybe 150 yards. He ran seft-to-right across the jeep trail, giving me a good reason to believe that in the first blast of speed, 100 yards in some four seconds is quite possible. Other folks down here have been followed, but with no attack or bothering.

Then again...A couple of geologists were driving south into Big Bend National Park. They saw something in the road ahead, slowed down, and then stopped some thirty or forty yards from three cougars. Two toms and a female in heat. The guys watched as the toms took turns pleasuring the lady. After some twenty minutes or so, the three cats wandered off in different directions.
Old November 28, 2008, 10:18 AM   #36
Pilot

This cat was taken in Colorado in 2004. 145 lbs. Recently a dog was taken out of its owners bedroom in Idledale, CO and killed. The 130 lb, mountain lion jumped a six foot fence with the 72 lb dog in its mouth.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...grabs-couples/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Cat.jpg (15.8 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Pilot; November 28, 2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old November 28, 2008, 11:26 AM   #37
Ricky

Cougers

I live and hunt in Northern Kalifornia. I used to hunt a lot up near Alturas (Way up in the N.E. corner of Ca.) The mule deer were absolutly thick up there 25 years ago. There were cougers up there then, we saw the occational kill and kitty tracks. There was a long drought (late 1980's)followed by a hard winter that was tough on the deer population. The deer population has never recovered. We used to see 25+ dear a day, The last time I was there I went a few days without seeing deer and there was a lot more cat sign. My cousin was up there recently and said that the deer and still few and far between. With the increase in the lion population the deer population will never recover.
I saw a lion once, near lake Shasta. It was night and it jumped accross the road ahead of my truck. It looked big and fast. I'm sure that hunting them without hounds would be impossible.
Old November 28, 2008, 07:41 PM   #38
sc928porsche

Nature takes care of its own....not enough food and animals die out. We are the ones who keep fooling around with the ballance. Killing off all the preadators except ourself only weakens wildlife. We always want the best and healty. The other preadators take the weak and old.

There will always be room for me and the preadators out in the wild, but I NEVER go out unarmed. If I had to go a season without sucess, the so be it. One deer a season is enough for me.
Old November 30, 2008, 05:27 PM   #39
jckeffer

Washington has similiar laws as Oregon - no hunting with hounds and no baiting. However the 'explosion' of cougars has not occured.

Several weeks ago a cougar killed and partially ate my pet goat (actually my son's goat). According to a research scientist from the Univ. of Wa who visited my place (8 acres 22 miles east of downtown Seattle) to view the kill, just the opposite is occuring. Initially there was a significant increase in the cougar population for the first few years. Then the population became infected with a transmittable version of feline leukemia - always fatal. This luekemia, according to the scientist, originated in domestic cats that later fell prey to cougars. The initial explosion in local cougar population (in the vicinity of urban areas) created a climate of pet predation and then the easy transmission of the disease to other cougars. It is expected to get worse.
By 'saving' the cougars from hunting the state has condemned them to an even worse fate.