The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 20, 2011, 05:22 PM   #26
longranger

I shot this one on Monday,526 yds with my new favorite rifle Win. Mdl. 70 338-06. What I thought was a young buck turned out to be an old warrior with smallish very beat up horns,cutters all wore off,cracked,notice how small his cheek patches are.He had bigger tecticles than some of the elk I have shot had.Sweetest smelling animal I have ever shot.You have to put your hand to your nose to smell anything of Antelope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deck 233.jpg (273.5 KB, 27 views)
Old October 20, 2011, 07:15 PM   #27
tahoe2

just got back from Douglas, Wyoming yesterday. 3-4 year old @ 125 yards with a 280 rem/130grn speer (spitzer boattail) @2850 fps; 20-30 mph winds threw my bullet back about 6-7 inches from point of aim(shoulder) and pierced the liver. It was a clean pass through no bones. All the meat was good!! Now I need to clean my skull. Help please! wyoming 084.jpg. He wasn't very big 100 lbs or so, I havn't even measured the horns yet!
Old October 20, 2011, 07:43 PM   #28
Kreyzhorse

Congrats. The wind has let up since I rolled out of Casper last Friday.

I cleaned a skull cap by first removing all of the meat I could. I then boiled the skull and horns using some kind of powder detergent my taxidermist suggested. Can't remember what it was. Anyway, be very careful that the horns do not stay under the water very long. They will get soft and it could harm them. You'll notice that their horns are actually made up of hair that turns solid and hard. Boil your skull for about one hour removing skin and nasty as it comes off. After an hour or so, you'll be able to pull the antelope horns off the skull. There will be a fatty layer in between the skull and horn. You must scrape the fatty layer out of the inside of the horns or it will smell nasty later. Anyway, after I got my horns off, I put a little bleach in the pot and boil the skull some more.

After getting the skull cap clean, I then glued the horns back onto the skull sheath using rubber cement. All and all, it was my first attempt and it came out all right.

Just a note, if you haven't boiled a skull before, stay WAY down wind. It can be a bit rough so I'd suggest doing it outside.

Good luck.
Old October 20, 2011, 07:46 PM   #29
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
shot this one on Monday,526 yds with my new favorite rifle Win. Mdl. 70 338-06. What I thought was a young buck turned out to be an old warrior with smallish very beat up horns,cutters all wore off,cracked,notice how small his cheek patches are.He had bigger tecticles than some of the elk I have shot had.Sweetest smelling animal I have ever shot.You have to put your hand to your nose to smell anything of Antelope.
My buddy shot an old warrior buck too that had no cutters at all. We guessed he wore them off holding onto his herd in what would surely be his last year on earth. He had also worn most of his teeth down to nubs as well. This old boy had scares all over his cheeks too. He must have been a hell of a stud in his younger days.
Old October 22, 2011, 11:29 AM   #30
Redmouflican

Sounds like a great trip!! We are leaving Monday for Kaycee for Mulie and Antelope....Region Y for deer and Area 20 for Antelope. Diy hunt so any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!
Old October 22, 2011, 07:17 PM   #31
tahoe2

redmouflican

lots of hunters in Kaycee on our way out last wednesday, and the game warden seemed agitated with some fellows at the checkpoint (gas station across from the rest area). It was really windy the whole time I was there, 3 of us hunted and the wind was always a cross wind (those crafty antelope). The one muley that was taken(not mine) was about 320-340 yards up hill by some rimrock and a 20mph crosswind. paunched him with a 257 weatherby ran 50-70 yds and hunkered down, popped him in the neck @ 275. A handsome 4x3 with a crabclaw at about 185 lbs. that wind sure pushes those bullets all over the place. every shot taken on this trip, the bullets never hit point of aim(off 6" inches to 15" depending on range). also be careful not to go on private property without permission. it's beautiful country out there, a great experience!! Good Luck! and let us know how you do. OMG I'm eating Antelope burgers right now!! Awesome!!

Last edited by tahoe2; October 22, 2011 at 08:02 PM.