The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 29, 2009, 02:06 PM   #26
Recoiljunkie44

My Humble Opionion!

One thing I really like about side by sides is the the "built in lead" in side by sides with double triggers! When drawing abead on a flying Pheasent if it going to your left the you can pull the first barrel trigger! I was told by a old Friend that a side by side is a gansta over/ under (because if you hold it sideways like the hold most pistols in movies ) then the barrels are over unders

Though it was Really funny!

Walt: " well you know,I prayed for them to come
but no one answered"
Old August 29, 2009, 10:20 PM   #27
Skan21

Quote:
Kind of makes you want to wear a tweed jacket and knickers when you shoot it.
Looks like it's going to be an over/under, 'cause I look like hell in knickers! I took down all the shotguns people have suggested so far, and so far, much to my chagrin ( I don't buy Beretta ANYTHING!), I like the Beretta 686 the best. It's in my price range too. I'm not ruling anything out though. I'll take a ride up to Kittery Trading Post in the next few weeks and see what they have.

Another question, is what effect sub gauges have on a shotgun. I found some that convert 12 gauge to 20 and 28 gauge. Will they harm the shotgun at all? And do they pattern as well as THEY say they do? Paying $400 more in order to have 3 different gauges seems like a good idea, but if they damage the $1500 shotgun, they wouldn't be much of a bargain.

Quote:
Saiga 12's are less cash than a O/U. Now if you get one that works is another story.
Only if I it comes with the breaching barrel attachment so I can look like a complete tool while shooting skeet.

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old August 29, 2009, 10:44 PM   #28
Recoiljunkie44

Mossberg SIlver reserves O/U have a combo kit for 12 and 20 gauge and like all mossberg stuff good quality at a very reasonable price!

Walt: " well you know,I prayed for them to come
but no one answered"
Old August 29, 2009, 10:46 PM   #29
Skan21

I like Mossbergs. I didn't bother to check them.

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old August 30, 2009, 09:36 AM   #30
oneounceload

Quote:
Another question, is what effect sub gauges have on a shotgun. I found some that convert 12 gauge to 20 and 28 gauge. Will they harm the shotgun at all? And do they pattern as well as THEY say they do? Paying $400 more in order to have 3 different gauges seems like a good idea, but if they damage the $1500 shotgun, they wouldn't be much of a bargain.
Depends on which ones you're talking about - none will damage the gun, but some really suck and others are really good. If you're talking about full length sub-gauge tubes, those are perfect. The Chamber-mates are on the other end of the spectrum. In between are those that go about half-way down the barrel - by Rhino, Briley, and others. IMO, jury is still out on their effectiveness, but I've read one or two decent reviews. Their plus is that they don't drastically change the balance point where a full length set will. That can be compensated for by attaching a weight when shooting 12 gauge, and removing it when installing the sub gauge.
Old August 30, 2009, 10:36 PM   #31
Skan21

I think I'm going to skip the mossbergs. I haven't seen one good review on them yet. That kinda sucks too, because I would rather buy a Mossberg than a Beretta. And as for the Sub Gauges, I don't know what kind they were, and now I can't remember what the website is. They were $239 for one gauge. That I remember.

Old August 31, 2009, 07:22 AM   #32
Skans

Quote:
What makes you think they don't use the same type of guns for sporting clays?
(They do)
I've met a few here in the US, and they seem prefer the traditional straight stock side-by-side. One guy was actually able to give me some good reasons for this, but according to him, that's just what they shoot with over there.
Old August 31, 2009, 08:55 AM   #33
oneounceload

Quote:
I've met a few here in the US, and they seem prefer the traditional straight stock side-by-side. One guy was actually able to give me some good reasons for this, but according to him, that's just what they shoot with over there.
For their driven pheasant shoots, many will use the SxS since that is the traditional gun. But O/U's are making their way into that as well. Many of the estates will rent you Beretta O/U's if you didn't bring your gun with you. For sporting, O/U's rule there as well as here.

SxS's are wonderful guns. I love the look; however, they can be a bugger to shoot if they do not fit properly. Fit is more critical with these than any other type of action, IMO. And being a leftie, finding a nice cast-on gun can get difficult.