The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2011, 12:16 AM   #1
chasep255

What do you think of this?

http://firearmresource.com/?p=155

I hope this article is a bunch of BS, especially since I did just invest money in reloading for both my pistols.
Old February 22, 2011, 12:33 AM   #2
dts686

I'm a person that reloads for 9mm, 38 special, 357 mag, and one day in the future 30-06 rifle rounds. The article did not describe me or my experience with reloading. The seem to take a very negative view of reloading. I don't reload to save money I reload because I enjoy working up rounds to shoot and test at the range. My gun has never "blown up." BS? I would have to strongly agree. If your interested in getting into reloading I would certainly encourage you as I have and continue to enjoy it so much. Best of luck to you!
Old February 22, 2011, 12:37 AM   #3
dawico

That article isn't very accurate. I won't go through it point by point, but it is very misleading. Plus, who says that all factory ammo is perfect?
Old February 22, 2011, 12:40 AM   #4
Jim243

I was going to paste his points, but becasue of copywrite and that they are just pure crap, I thought otherwise.

That is the biggest job of BS that I have ever seen. Not a single point that he said is correct. I guess that stupidity runs ranpant on the internet. This is one case that if you do not know what you are talking about, keep your mouth shut (I try but it doesn't always work.)

I doubt that he or she has ever loaded a gun, much less reload a cartrage.

Jim

As to cost of labor, this is a hobby. I supose if you don't get paid for playing golf or football, then the equipment cost is a waste of money, I know in my case golf clubs are (a waste of money).

Last edited by Jim243; February 22, 2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old February 22, 2011, 12:41 AM   #5
noylj

We could go through and refute almost every statement made.
Think: If there are so many people doing such a stupid activity with so many dangers, where are all the dead reloaders?
1) 0.2gn increase will not suddenly blow up your gun. However, there are a couple of powders that have shown sudden increases in recoil with just a small addition of powder over the recommended max. This is why you work UP a load and don't just start at the middle or max.
2) handgun cases are easily trimmed. However, I have never found any that needed to be trimmed and most are just too short.
Why read anything from someone that ignorant. Read a reloading manual and you can refute what he wrote easily.
Old February 22, 2011, 12:54 AM   #6
700sage

Number one reason TO reload ammo? You can make the ammo as consistant as you want and tune it to a particular gun for accuracy. With factory ammo consistancy is questionable as the manufacturer is trying to produce ammo as fast and cheaply as possible without killing anyone. At least with reloading YOU are the one that has control over the ammo.
Old February 22, 2011, 01:03 AM   #7
Dr. Strangelove

This article was written by someone who obviously does not care for reloading handgun rounds, or perhaps a drunken monkey.

It's not worth my time to go into it line by line, as others have said, but every point in the article is incorrect.

I will concede that if you insist on monetizing the time spent reloading, then; yes, it can be cheaper to buy factory loads. Remove the author's ridiculous "hourly wage" requirement, and even their own calculations show reloading to be cheaper.

If you really do miss work to load, then I suppose you could count the lost wages as part of the cost of loading, but I doubt that is often the case.

Reloading is a hobby unto it's own for me, I do it because I enjoy it, and I'd do it even if it cost more. (It doesn't) I get more enjoyment out of range trips because the ammo is cheaper and I can see the fruits of my labor and make changes where needed. Hunting with your own loads is a joy, it's a great to feeling to put together a load and harvest an animal.

Those who get into reloading simply to save money supply those of use who love it with (little) used equipment on EBAY!
Old February 22, 2011, 01:10 AM   #8
Shoney

Most of the points are fat based and true, and they are discussed in most reloading manuals. They are overstatements and if people follow reloading safety rules, there is little danger.

Throughout my 50 year off loading, I have experienced one of the points. I have only had squib loads twice.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 22, 2011, 03:36 AM   #9
oldandslow

chase, 2/22/11

The article seems to be written by someone not very knowledgable with reloading pistol cartridges pretending to speak as one with experience. As with most things on the Internet the validity is often in question.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old February 22, 2011, 04:04 AM   #10
chris in va

I clicked on 'admin' at the top, here's what I found...

Quote:
Bill Kapeles is the editor and principal writer at The Firearm Resource. He brings 16 years of firearms related experience to his writing. He is a NRA certified handgun instructor, and a Rangemaster at Front Sight Firearms Training Institute.
So. There it is.
Old February 22, 2011, 04:42 AM   #11
oldandslow

Chris, 2/22/11

I think the author is being judged on his lack of knowledge in pistol reloading. Being a self-appointed firearms writer, pistol instructor or rangemaster does not mean he has a clue about pistol reloading.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old February 22, 2011, 04:56 AM   #12
radom

It just shows that the Forest Gump factor is real is all. Only thing worse than stupid people trying to load ammo is stupid people and the internet.
Old February 22, 2011, 05:07 AM   #13
Praxus

I agree, the author is being judged, correctly, on his lack of knowledge.
Ruger LC9
Old February 22, 2011, 08:10 AM   #14
Shootest

Anyone who states you do not save money by reloading is a bold face lier. I don't care how much experience he thinks he has.
Old February 22, 2011, 08:55 AM   #15
spacecoast

Each of his points is pretty much dead wrong or at the very least distorted. I've shot about 7,000 of my own handgun rounds and have never had one fail, not to mention saving 20 cents per round ($1400). The only two squibs I had were commercially manufactured. Yes, I've spent 120-180 hours making those reloads, but so what? Would I have been better served watching TV?

Maybe he works for an ammo company on the side.

Last edited by spacecoast; February 22, 2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old February 22, 2011, 09:01 AM   #16
dahermit

Quote:
Handgun cases take more abuse than rifle cases. They absorb more pressure per unit of surface area than most rifle rounds do. This makes them susceptible to rupture;
If that were true, handgun hand loaded cases would not last the hundreds of re-loads they do. Also, they almost always fail from work-hardening mouth cracks, never catastrophic "rupture". They are subject to less pressure per unit of surface area than most rifle rounds are.

Quote:
There is no easy, cost effective way to trim handgun cases, which can lead to reliability problems. If the case is too long, it will not chamber properly;
Forrester trimmer (numerous others like it), as well as a very inexpensive Lee cartridge specific trimmer.
Old February 22, 2011, 09:02 AM   #17
armoredman

I don't charge myself for time spent re-loading any more than I charge myself for time playing computer games or listening to music. I also cast my own bullets, which just happens to save a great deal of money, BUT, it's a secondary hobby, which is supposed to be fun and relaxing, not a business.
Might as well charge yourself for time spent on the toilet.
If I wasn't reloading, I would be shooting a great deal less.
Old February 22, 2011, 10:03 AM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

"A charge error of .2 grains of powder is enough to blow up your gun;" Bravo Sierra. It's possible, but certainly not a given. I double charged a .45 some years ago and my gun came through just fine.

Modern loading data has top-end safety margins built in that make the data safe to use in virtually any modern gun in good condition. It's common for very experienced loaders to exceed top end loads IN THEIR SPECIFIC GUNS, and do so VERY safely.

"The incidence of squib loads (bullets stuck in the barrel due to undercharging the case or having no charge at all) is very high." Bravo Sierra. Proper loading techniques make the incident of a squib very low.

"Handgun cases take more abuse than rifle cases. They absorb more pressure per unit of surface area than most rifle rounds do. This makes them susceptible to rupture;" BS. With proper loads handgun cases are capable of lasting through dozens of loadings.

And so forth and so on.

God, the incredibly bad information in that blog is just astounding.

It also never fails to amaze me that people are so work/time driven that they insist on defining their hobbies in terms of time cost.

You have a hobby as a relaxation away from and outside of work. You aren't paid for it.

I just left a politely scathing message. It's awaiting moderation. Let's see if the individual who posted this tripe has the guts to actually post my comment.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 22, 2011, 10:22 AM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

You know what's really rich?

If you go to this page: http://firearmresource.com/?cat=54

His anti-handloading misinformation festival, in which he tells us that factory ammo is much better and much safer, is directly above the notification of the Federal/American Eagle .45 ACP ammunition recall (because of a serious factory error!)

So much for the factories being so much better at this...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 22, 2011, 10:42 AM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Make sure to leave comments at the bottom of the page.... I just did..... not that they won't be moderated away.

I also sent a comment through the "contact us" link. I'm also forwarding a copy of that article to Front Sight, since he is apparently involved with them.

What a pile of crap that thing is.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; February 22, 2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old February 22, 2011, 10:48 AM   #21
overkill0084

.2 gr overcharge can blow up your gun? Even with Bullseye, which can get scary with overcharges. I doubt my 9 mm would be likely to KB. A double charge, possible. .2 gr, unsettling perhaps. But unlikely to be dangerous in an isolated occurrence.
I could pick at the other numbers used as well, but why bother.
I was unaware of the case trimming issue. Apparently my Lee Case Trimmers don't actually work. Or maybe they are simply part of some weird hallucination.
Has the writer ever actually reloaded pistol in any quantity?

If you can't net some savings per round, you're probably doing something wrong. That said, net savings per round will depend on application.
Disclaimer: Failure to realize savings due increased shooting is not factored in
EDIT - I had to go back and post to the comments section. Comment is as follows:
Points 1 through 6 & Number 8 are Dog Wash.
1. .2 gr overcharge may be hard on a gun, but it’s unlikely to “Blow it Up” in isolated incidents. Double charge, that’s a whole different issue.
2. It’s only high if your quality control sucks. My only failure to fire issues were gun problems.
3. Handgun cases last just fine. Unless your shooting MAX loads all the time, you can reuse handgun cases quite a few times.
4. A Lee Case trimmer is quite cost effective unless you find it too complex…
5. Primer depth? Really. Hey, how ’bout you seat the primer correctly?
6. Huh? Crimping isn’t exactly a dark art. It’s quite repeatable. Trick is, don’t overdo it.
7. Yes, best to use factory stuff on the bad guy. Less legal exposure.
8. If you aren’t saving at least a little money, you’re doing it wrong. Do a comparison with say .41 magnum or .500 S&W Mag and tell me your not saving any money.
Worth Noting: Since I retired from the military, I’m not on the clock 24-7 & apparently my time spent sleeping is lost revenue. Let’s be serious.
Have you ever actually reloaded handgun calibers?

Sorry, couldn't help myself...
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke

Last edited by overkill0084; February 22, 2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old February 22, 2011, 11:31 AM   #22
chasep255

Thanks for your comments and reassuring me that this is complete BS. Now I have about a thousands rounds which need loading .
Old February 22, 2011, 12:44 PM   #23
zippy13

Using the author's logic, not only should we avoid reloading, we should probably not drive the the range. There's always the possibility that you might:
  • Run out of gas,
  • Puncture a tire,
  • Get lost,
  • Experience a parts failure,
  • Have your vehicle stolen,
  • Run over an undocumented alien who doesn't know how to cross the road,
  • Have a negative encounter with law enforcement, etc.
IMHO, the author does makes one valid point: Using reloaded ammo for self defense may have legal ramifications. I'm sure there is more than one anti-gun, bleeding-heart liberal DA out there who'd love to brand you a blood thirsty vigilante for using special killer hand loads.

As far as determining the cost of reloading, in my case, two significant factors aren't considered: I'm retired, so any multiple of my hourly wage is still going to equal zero. Also, I home cast my bullets -- while not free, my bullets are a quantum leap cheaper than the author's estimate.

An aspect of reloading that the author fails to mention: Many of us actually enjoy reloading. Running a loading press requires concentration and is a good excuse to shut out the problems of the world. The same can be said for home casting. If I were to factor in the money saved by not having to vent my frustrations over world conditions on a mental health care professional, it seems my reloading has saved me much more than just the cost of factory ammo.
Old February 22, 2011, 01:06 PM   #24
GP100man

Even I could tell it was written by some one uninformed & unknoledgeable of the reloading process !!

And given a person has to learn a skill in whatever you do, it is obvious this person has no self motovation or desire to learn !!!
Old February 22, 2011, 01:09 PM   #25
hornady

Great how anyone can state an opinion on the net as fact, I read the first paragraph and had enough. The below links are floating around the net. And I am not recommending anyone try what’s in the Videos, but this was done with Hi-point pistols, very inexpensive gun. I have seen Guns that have gone Ka-Boom. But I don’t think any of them had a .2 Grs, over charge of a listed load in a modern reloading manual in them.

Part 1... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

Part 2... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmt5QB814Tw

Part 3... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4

Part 4... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKkQm5TRaWE