The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2007, 05:05 PM   #126
dakotashooter2

Save your empty plastic powder containers, peel off the labels and use them to store shot or bulk bullets.

If you are short press space. Get a piece of 4 x 6 or 6 x 6 cut to appropriate length Stand it up against the wall vertically and mount the press on top (you may have to notch it out a bit). . Since most of the pressure is downward all you need is a couple of long lag screws to anchor it to a stud in the wall. I do this for my bullet sizer.
Old February 3, 2007, 09:46 PM   #127
Red_Eagle

The styrofoam trays 45ACP come in make great reloading blocks for the 30-06/308 family of cartridges.

If your loading 22 cal plastic tip bullets (i.e. V-max). Try chamfering with the bullet shaped grinding wheel in the dremel accessory kit. The steeper angle will enable you to get the bullet to stand up straight by it's self throught the seating process. If it goes in the die at too steep of an angle, the tip gets wedged between the seater plug and the wall of the die and breaks off.
CAUTION: THE BRASS WILL GET HOT!!!!! DO NOT ATTEMPT WITH PRIMED BRASS!!!!
Old February 8, 2007, 04:45 PM   #128
barnetmill

For plinking ammo A cheap bullet to use in high velocity rifles is the 71 grain full metal jacket.311 caliber .32 automatic pistol bullet. I have used it in 30 us carbine and 30-06 M1 Garand. I suspect you could use in it in an AK and 7.62 Tok pistol as well as the russian nagant. In bulk they can be purchased for little under 6 cents. With increasing cost of 7.62 AK ammo I am thinking of trying it in that caliber once I get a spring for the firing pin so I can use soft primers.

It will not lead and it is cheap. Use in the 30-06 with same powder and charge that you use with 150 grain military load.
Old February 11, 2007, 12:24 AM   #129
FM12

Check gun shops, especially those at gun ranges...members usually leave used/extra "stuff" there for sale,also hulls, brass, holsters, slings, magazines etc. Also check the discontinued/closeout bins...just bought 2 mec bushings for $1.00 each...Might even buy stuff you dont need but your buddies do...they'll do the same for you in the future. When buying on-line, check out the closeout & bargain links. You never know what will show up! Keep a written record of what you loan and borrow...your memory may not be as good as you think! This is also a record to encourage your borrowing friends to look "just one more time", maybe they do indeed have your sizeing die! I just bought a set of 44 mag dies for a new 629...went to put them in the shop, and found a set I had forgotten about from years past. Gun shows are about the best place for bargains: I bought an 8 pound jug of powder the other day for $20.00. I didnt event try to bargain with the seller.
Old February 11, 2007, 11:39 AM   #130
Crazy4nitro

I bought a timer on the clearance rack for the plug on my Tumbler. set it to 12 hrs and walk away,that way if I forget to shut it off before I leave for work it times out while i'm gone. Elec. is cheap but hey every bit counts....

Crazy4nitro
Old February 11, 2007, 10:41 PM   #131
Donaldo

Keep the plastic "cans" that coffee comes in (ie folgers). Works great for case washing, and the handle works pretty well to agitatite it once in a while.
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. - Isaiah 1:17
Old February 12, 2007, 09:16 AM   #132
mjrodney

Handy bucket of sand

This morning, I had a primer turn sideways on me and it jammed into the bottom of the brass only part way.

The portion sticking out prevented me from removing the shellholder from the bottom of the case.

I could see it had to be pried loose using a bit of force and a screwdriver, but I couldn't help but think, with my luck, anyway, that it might be set off with such force.

My close proximity neighbors would no doubt hear the report and call for six car loads of black suited and helmeted calvary.

Fortunately, I have a 5 gallon bucket of sand in the garage.

The ear & eye protection were on my head, so I shoved the pliers that gripped shell holder, and brass into the sand, along with the screw driver in place and ready to pry.

It took a few firm tugs, but the primer didn’t ignite and I didn't get a facefull of sand.

If it had, though, the noise would have been at a minimum and the sparks/flame contained.
Old February 12, 2007, 04:24 PM   #133
CoastalNC

Cleaning, small containers, identification....

I get discarded plastic cartridge holders (from factory ammo boxes) out of the trashcan at the range. I use them for several different things-1) place dirty brass in them and dunk the whole thing in brass cleaner. This allows me to pull the whole bunch out in one grab versus individually and drain the liquid out quickly/easily.

I, too, like to use Sharpies/markers on primers, especially when working up a load. I load a few "starters" with, say, green then I'll have some blue. I'll work up to red- i.e. HOT. Obviously, I mark the primers after loading that weight and before moving forward. I write down "Green = x.x wt.", "Blue = x.y wt.", etc. in my records and/or labels. This allows me to use one cartridge box with for many different tests.

Also, for small parts like cutters, gages, etc. I use 35mm film canisters or shotgun choke tube cases.
Old February 12, 2007, 04:45 PM   #134
sanson

when loading real light charges I add styrofoam micro-spheres on top of the powder to keep it against the primer. auto-body shops use microsphere powder to lighten resins or putty. the stuff is fine and weightless so it has no effect on your loads. just fill to the top of the case and press the bullet down
Old February 17, 2007, 06:24 PM   #135
hikingman

Tumblin'

Tumblin is noisy? Nah! Close the bathroom (or basement) door.

Tumbler is movin'? Nah! Set in on a rubber backed bathroom floor mat.

Tumbler makes dust in the air? Nah! Place a small sheet of 'Glad' Wrap over the Tumbler and make the sheet large enougth that it overlaps-maybe 1/2 inch off tumbler's compartment. Then, set the lid on top and attach. I continue using the original sheet of Glad Wrap and that's recycling!

The Lyman Turbo Pro 1200 that has no on/off switch, just the a/c cord, and ships to your house for about Fifty bucks, try it when it's time to replace your own, you'll be 'glad' you did.

John
Old March 3, 2007, 11:53 PM   #136
armedtotheteeth

I ll Throw out a bit of my lernin i got. I am too dang cheap to buy a tumbler, So When I trim my cases with the lee Trimmer. (In my HANDY DANDY Craftsman cordless drill) After im done trimming the cartridge. I Hit it with a Piece of fine steel wool with a little water/ BARKEEPERS FRIEND mix on it while it is still in the drill. After it is done in the drill i throw it in a plastic coffee can ( FOLGERS with the grippy handle) with more Barkeepers friend/ water and Soap. AGITATE IT A LITTLE BIT BY HAND.When you done a few Dozen cases . Rinse it well several times until the water is clean. I Do 300 Winn mag 100 cases at a time like this. I shoot alot of 300 Win Mag. ( I mean alot)
Old March 25, 2007, 07:22 AM   #137
garbageman

I drink Maxwell House coffee cans are metal but are great for storing large quantities of brass, use a small piece of paper to write down the caliber, fold it over the edge and snap the lid on. Now you know what is inside at a glance.

Used to buy Peter Pan Peanut Butter but switched to JIF due to recall, but both use clear plastic jars. Use to store clean brass, primed or unprimed, just write the caliber and other information on the jar with a sharpie or put a piece of paper with this information on it so it can read through the side of the jar. These are good for taking to the range with loaded rounds cause you can screw the lid tight and toss in the range bag without worrying that they will spill. The jars are also great for storing small tools and tossing in your tool box.

Small and Large Butter tubs, Shedds spread is what we use, make good storage containers for bullets, brass any item you need.

I use one of those metal frame with plastic drawer conainers on my loading bench to put my dies in. Mark the front of the drawer with the caliber. The drawer holds three dies easily (already had mine, if you buy one you can get larger drawers), I use the next row of drawers for the matching Factory Crimp die. You can put the shell holder and scoop in with the dies so everything is there to load that round, just take the drawer out and there it is. I use Lee Dies but have a few RCBS. I had several of the round 3 die sets containers and the square 4 die set containers and the RCBS has a different box too, cuts down on clutter and finding the die set you need is a breeze now.

I bought a roll of the drawer mat stuff (don't know the actual name) at Lowes, it is the rubber stuff to line your drawers so things don't slide around. Comes in different colors and you can cut it to fit with scissors. Put a piece wherever you need it on your bench to keep things from running away, line your tool box drawers, pick it up, move it around if it is in the way. Great stuff.
Old April 8, 2007, 02:47 PM   #138
williamd

Handy around the loading/gun work area.

- A shop vac for the spilled powder and shot (yes you have! )
- a good magnet to find the parts that do not stop at the groove in your bench. ......... maybe
- trays with different size compartments and snap shut lids ... tackle shop?
- files, stones, plastic head hammer, gunsmith screwdrivers (yes, you have!)
- post your best load data on the front of you safe or the wall (assunming you do not load in the kitchen!)
- "Dear Diary" - seriously, a notebook for records. It is handy and fun to look back at 30 (ok, +) years of load/shoot data!
- a 'nail board' for all the shotshell bushings ... long enough nails
- a shell holder in each die set box; some duplication but really handy
- small vice (not that kind of vice! )
- quikset ready crete to patch the floor (yes, you have )
spackle for the ceiling or wall
- needle nosed plyers to pull the wad outta that case with no powder
- bullet puller, of course
- bluing pen
- tru oil or similar
- safety glasses ... even over you costly prescriptions

- large ball peen hammer to beat the crap outta those things that need the crap beaten out of them occasionally (yes, you have! )
Old April 9, 2007, 03:57 PM   #139
dodgestdshift

The tops of shoe boxes make a handy place to drop cases as you are loading them. Obviously you can't use them for charged cases without bullets, but for everything else they work fine.

Don N.
Old April 23, 2007, 08:29 PM   #140
mattgreennra

From a post I made on THR

These aren't anyting brilliant, but just a couple of good ideas.

This first one is for anyone with an RCBS Pro-2000 or w/ a piggyback system. I was finding that when changing plates, powder funnels, or dies my powder measure got slightly misalligned. I used some mailing labels, duct tape, and a sharpie to mark the position that is correct for my uni-flow powder measure.
powder mark.jpg

Also for these RCBS owners a water/propel bottle with the cap drilled out serves as a perfect primer catcher. I put lube on my press to catch the primer cancer-dust and with the bottle sealed with duct tape I have almost 0 dust in my room.
brass case and primer catches.jpg
I also found that large snack containers from Sam's Club make awesome pistol brass storage containers. They keep the filth in and with a simple label you know EXACTLY what stage the brass is in.

I used a standard fold up table for my bench. It works pretty well, but bows a little bit when you put alot of pressure on it. Anyways my setup is in a college apartment and I need storage vertically that's cheap. I went to target to get something to add table-space for storage. They have $10-15 shelves that are supposed to be 2-tiered, but I used only the top and got corner supports from the hardware store that I put in. This shelf is perfectly dimensioned to store a couple powders, manuals and other random stuff.

I recently started reloading rifle brass and I am sorting that for consistency (unlike my pistol brass.) I wanted a way to (again) store it vertically in seperate compartments. I went to Lowe's in their plastic storage/shelf section and got these black bins. They come in packs of 4 and can even be hung off an included support horizontally which I think would be incredibly helpful. They were about $6 per four. These work great for my brass.

brass shelves.jpg

BTW the slimjims and booze are there simply for storage, I don't have alot of room. I don't gobble slim jims and Bacardi when I reload.

Also, I use a small "dust buster" handyvac thing for spilled powder. It's very small and doesn't have a powderful motor, so I feel safe picking up spilled powder w/ it. A better alternative to blowing up you vacuum.

Hope this helps.
Old May 1, 2007, 11:58 AM   #141
dakotashooter2

Mouse pads.... handy for laying handguns on the bench or gun parts...setting under scales to protect from vibration

Waterless hand cleaner & paper towels

tweezers ...for picking up small parts

4 in one or 6 in one screwdrivers... these can be found in a couple of sizes and generally have good quality blades that are hollow ground and strong They may not fit ALL screws but can handle a large percentage.
Old June 5, 2007, 11:30 PM   #142
Sam Adams

GREAT THREAD!

Quote:
I get pretzels in giant plastic jars. Those are great for keeping brass in various stages of prep. Wash out the salt first, it's probably corrosive.
Ditto that and the big Folger's coffee containers with the snap-shut lids. Both of them are the greatest thing going for storing brass, or for storing sized/deprimed/belled and primed handgun brass that's ready to have powder & bullets loaded.

I used to use the 1 quart plastic containers with snap-shut lids for brass storage, but 1 quart simply isn't big enough for that. Besides, they don't really stay shut if dropped (guess how I found that out). I look very differently now at any sizable container with either a screw top or good snap-shut top.

If anyone gets the Preparation H wipes from Sam's Club (my wife's cousin has us buy them literally by the dozen - he's in Mexico and can't get them), keep the plastic boxes. They're great for sorting cases, either by caliber (if you've cleaned 2 or more in the same load) or by stage of processing. I must have 50 of them ready to be used.

I have a Lee hand press - very good timesaver (and since time is money...), since you can deprime/size and bell handgun cases while watching TV or some other semi-mindless activity. Complemented, of course, by a Lee hand prime tool. I've got 3 of the big pretzel containers full of .45, 9mm and .38s all ready for loading because of a small investment in the hand press. Without it, I'd have had to have been in the garage at my press (i.e. in the heat - I'm in Texas - or away from watching the kids). I simply wouldn't have gotten the work done, and it'd be much more of a chore now to reload those calibers.

Bulk buying - bump. For plinking or SHTF ammo, buy surplus military bullets and/or cases and/or powder in bulk. I haven't bought the powder yet, but I'm sure I will soon.

C&R license discounts - bump (although you end up buying so much that you really don't save anything, but that's another issue).

Picking up any and all brass - bump. Note that even if you pick up crappy brass (i.e. too dented up to bother resizing, or split), you can accumulate a bunch and sell it to scrap yards. Higher metal prices cost us more when buying ammo, cases or bullets, so it has to work the other way also.

"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American." Tench Coxe 2/20/1788

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands, which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

"Love work, hate domination, and do not let your name come to the attention of the ruling powers."
-- The Talmud, "Sayings of the Fathers"
Old June 7, 2007, 10:00 AM   #143
crowbeaner

Buy a stamp with a target imprint and stamp old computer paper backs to make cheap targets, or cut up 1 target and paste onto standard paper to make pattern. Hit the copy shop on .002 day and a couple bucks goes a long way. I've got OBL on a 25 yard slowfire.
Old June 7, 2007, 01:59 PM   #144
gaowlpoop

How about

http://www.mytargets.com/

for free targets. You supply the paper and ink.
Old June 12, 2007, 12:59 AM   #145
Olive Drab

staple/nail a 6 pocket bandoleer to the side of the bench to hold small reloading supplies and tools for quick access.
Old June 27, 2007, 01:28 PM   #146
Wild Bill Bucks

I've found that my Vacuum sealer, I use for food, is great for storing brass that I have polished if I don't want to immediatly load them up. Keeps them nice and shiny for a LOOOOng time. Also great for loaded cartridges, as they can't move around when you vacuum the air out, and they will keep forever.

Also, I load for other guys, and one of the stipulations to my loading for them, is that THEY buy the dyes. Most guys won't shoot 10 rounds a year, so I can load them up 100 rounds, and there is a good chance I won't see them again. I have about 15 different calibers that I haven't paid a cent for, by doing this, and I still get to charge them for the components, and use what's left of it also. Makes me a REAL good deal. (Does that make me a bad man?)

Last edited by Wild Bill Bucks; June 27, 2007 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Spelling and its probably still not right.
Old June 27, 2007, 01:36 PM   #147
Edward429451

Well if you're a bad man then I guess I am too because I do the same thing. With moulds and cast boolits too.

RE: #148, You're kiddin right? ;>) They can't buy dies and drop em off and I load for them. They have to come help too! Me keeping the dies is for the use of my equipment and babysitting them while they load them under my watchful eye and instruction. I set the dies up, do a few while explaining, then let them finish the batch. Set up the scale double check it and let them weigh them all out, and so forth. Thats the only way they'll learn. I'm not Mr. Ammoman because they bought me a set of dies once! This weeds out the guys just wanting to save money at my time expense. On the rare occassion that I do load some for someone else, they are starting loads only for the reason you stated.

Last edited by Edward429451; June 27, 2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old June 27, 2007, 02:57 PM   #148
RevoRick

Just be forwarned that there is some liability to loading for others. One ka-Boom for them equals a possible lawsuit for you. This is just a friendly warning as others have warned me.
DW 10mm CBOB, 10mm Experimental, .45 Pointman GD, .45 Patriot CCO. DW 744 VH .44 6", 715 VH .357 4". Fusion 10mm Longslide XM-10 Tactical Hunter. Glock 19c, Browning Buckmark, S&W 686 .357 4", 629 .44mag 8 3/8". Uberti Cattleman .45LC.
http://www.1911auto.org/forum/index.php?referrerid=24
Old June 27, 2007, 03:25 PM   #149
PeteQuad

If you have one of those rechargable flashlights from a cordless power tool set just sitting around doing nothing like I do, and you have a shelf of some kind above your bench, you can tape some tin foil to the bottom of it and point the light at it. Adds some additional light, without the worry of a lamp that could fall over and cause disaster. It's also good for the battery to fully discharge it before recharging.

Another good thing to do is to steal ziploc containers from your wife. They make great parts holders.

Put those little Tipton Rust Inhibitor chips in the containers for added rust protection.

Put a cheap bowl of some kind on your bench to hold random parts, so they don't roll off. A small cardboard box on a shelf works fine for safety glasses and other assorted items as well.

Save a box from one of your internet orders. Cut off the top flaps, and use it to cover your tumbler while in use. Cuts down on noise and bad dust flying around the place.
Old June 27, 2007, 04:39 PM   #150
rangerich

tumbler timer

I put my tumbler on a plug-in outdoor light timer.
The ones you set for dusk-dawn/2hr/4hr etc.

Set the dial for 2 hours and then put a black piece of tape over the photocell.

This way I don't have to remember to turn off the tumbler or if I had a regular lamp timer, it would come on every day at that time.

It comes on once for 2 hours, then stays off.

Home depot has them for about $20

Tags
thrifty , tips , tricks