The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 1, 2000, 10:30 PM   #1
steelbuster

Hi..I am the proud new owner of my Grandpa's Standard Arms Model G in .30 cal Rem.(c. 1910 or 1911). I am looking for disassemble info on this gun. It is a take down model and after separating, the trigger group in the lower reciever/magazine seems to be fairly easy to work on.
I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the bolt/operating rods/ gas cylinder out of the upper receiver though. Please help with any ideas or info you might have.
The rifle is in Exc. cond generaly and I would like to shoot it. Do you have any information on factory defects or the advisability of shooting this gun considering the age of the firearm?
The only info I could find on loads suggested using the starting load data for the 30-30.
The gas port valve is frozen in the open position so it's not a problem but I would like to try to free it up. Any ideas??.I have heard that automotive ATF might work.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Pete
Old December 2, 2000, 11:28 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I posted this on the "Rifle" forum, but for the benefit of Harley and others, I will repeat it here.

Hi, Steelbuster,

Boy, are you into oldies. You might not want to tackle the disassembly job after reading this, but here goes. A vise with padded jaws will help but you can get by without it.

To disassemble the rifle into two main parts, grip the buttstock and insert the point of a bullet (.30-'06 ball works fine) into the hole just behind the trigger guard and push upward, while pulling forward on the barrel. The trigger group and stock will come away from the receiver. (If this reminds anyone of the SKS takedown, Simonov was a copycat.)

Behind the front sight there is a little dovetailed cover plate. Tap it out left to right, and remove the screw underneath it. Now with a block of wood, tap the gas block (the part with the front sight on it) forward until it comes off, along with the gas cylinder. (If this reminds anyone of the original M1 rifle gas trap system, Garand was a copycat.) The foreend and foreend tube can now be removed.

The gas piston is now exposed. Unscrew the piston (it has a screwdriver slot in the head). Make sure the spring is kept captive; it can whip when released and injure an eye. I have seen one that had a sideways hole in the piston rod to hold the spring, but I am not sure if that was factory or an owner "fix". If the hole is there, use it and a paperclip or a piece of steel wire to hold the spring forward and captive.

With the piston unscrewed, the carrier and bolt can be removed. Reassemble in reverse order. If there is no hole in the rod, I recommend drilling one; it makes assembly much easier.

If you have not fired the gun, try it. Most don't work worth a darn as autoloaders and they are about useless as a pump gun because the shooter has to fight the spring when using the gun in the manual mode. All in all, not an ideal design, but we have to remember that the Standard was the pioneer in gas operation and, for that matter, in pump operated high power rifles as well.

Jim