The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 11, 2015, 01:11 PM   #26
Real Gun

Quote:
Quote:
The only difference is the hopper. The mechanics (and the parts) below that are identical. I use the older style box hopper, which is now delivered clear instead of translucent red.
Nope. The old disc measure, the whole measure is turned/screwed into the top of the expander die. The pro measure, the threaded portion turns independently from the hopper. This allows the measure itself to stay stationary while screwing the bottom of the measure . Also the pro has a shut off in the base of the hopper to allow the changing of the discs WITHOUT having to tip the standard hopper over to empty it to allow the discs to be changed.
The swivel adapter can be purchased separately. All my powder measures have one.

There is an upgrade kit that allows converting standard auto disk measures to Pro features, but it really just replaces the hopper and includes the swivel adaptor that one may already have.
Old June 11, 2015, 01:13 PM   #27
Real Gun

Quote:
An abbreviation is not an acronym.

Or do you call it your "pittux" ?!
I believe you have played the grammar nahtsie on this point before.
Old June 11, 2015, 01:26 PM   #28
higgite

Heaven forbid you should get abbreviations and acronyms mixed up on a reloading forum. That could lead to a dangerously overpressured dangling participle!
Old June 11, 2015, 01:32 PM   #29
Real Gun

Quote:
Have had no problems using the same case also with the Auto Disk powder measure.

Question? Are you using the 44 Mag die for your 44 Spl powder through die?
That's why I purchased a separate set of 38 Spl dies instead of using my 357 Mag set.
Good question. My die is stamped "Lee 44 SPL E3". I have another setup for jacketed bullets, and that die is stamped "Lee 44 SPL D4". Cursory measurements show no differences, E3 vs D4, but I will try the D4 to see if the results are any different.
Old June 11, 2015, 01:34 PM   #30
Sevens

Maybe in the .327 Federal Club thread.
Old June 11, 2015, 01:38 PM   #31
snuffy

Quote:
It finally occurred to me that I kept using the same case that had already been expanded. It wasn't causing enough resistance on the expander plug to fully activate the measure.
This is what is at issue here is that you think the measure is activated by drag or resistance of the expander plug pushing into the case. That is wrong! The powder disc/slide is fully activated by the case running into the belling portion of the expander plug whether you call it the PTX OR PTE.

It doesn't matter how long the PTE is, it's adjusted by moving the entire die up or down, watching the slide go all-the-way over the drop tube.

If not using a powder measure on the expander die, the aluminum cap is left on the die. Then the die is adjusted until the powder disc aligns with the drop tube AFTER or AT THE SAME TIME the desired belling is achieved. It has nothing to do with the friction of the expander plug on the inside of the case.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 11, 2015, 01:47 PM   #32
Real Gun

Thanks, Snuffy, but I know what I experienced and how I fixed the problem. I have repeatedly said that it seems to be working fine now, and that is as long as I resize the case mouth between test powder drops or pick a fresh case. During routine loading all is well.

I have the die set all the way down to the shell holder. There is j-u-s-t enough flare to nicely accept a bullet, no real bell at all. That's fine, because I have an expander die to get the precision I want in the next station. Probably don't really need it. I seem to have (5) expander plugs for 44 SPL in my inventory for some reason, and they all measure 1.092 in length.

BTW, my 44 Mag die, mounted on a separate turret with its own powder measure, is stamped "44 SPL C3".