The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 13, 2013, 09:23 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Lead Round Nose bullets for S.D.?

I was recalling someones signature, that said something to the effect of "The plain lead bullet is the most reliable projectile, it mushrooms consistently, and never breaks up". So with that said. What do you guys think of having them in the wheel gun for self defense? I'm sure the bullets that are loaded in commercial lead RN rounds are pretty hard to prevent leading. Or better yet the bullets that, we cast up and load. That way we can control the hardness. The lead bullet has killed many a man in the past, so I really can't see why it wouldn't work today. Why pay over 2 bucks a round for "Self Defense" ammo. Does that 2 bucks a round give us warm and fuzzies? Lets discuss.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:37 PM   #2
mete

Bullet shape is important and a Keith type is best !! There are many copies but the original is they one to use .A complete discription can be found in " Sixguns" by Elmer Keith ,A book well worth getting.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Sport45

I think a lead round nose would have the same (in)effectiveness as FMJ. Good penetration, but little else.

They didn't call 'em widow makers for nothing.

But better than having no ammo in your gun...
Old March 13, 2013, 09:46 PM   #4
pete2

If lead RN is what is what I have it's what I would use. Soft lead HP SWC bullets are available for reloading as well as in factory loads and would probably be better for self defense. We're talking handguns so bullet placement is the most important thing to be concerned with. 2 or 3 hits for best results.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:51 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Lots of better choices for self-defense, especially in a revolver where bullet profile has essentially no effect on reliability.

If FMJ ball or lead roundnose is what you've got, use it. If you can get something else--practically anything else will be better for self defense.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:56 PM   #6
deerslayer303

Oh without a doubt, I use them 2+ dollar a round SD ammo (I guess I get the warm and fuzzies ). I was just wanting to open up the discussion of the effectiveness of the lead projectile.
Old March 13, 2013, 10:07 PM   #7
zxcvbob

Lead projectile is good. Round nose is not so good (but a lot better than nothing)
Old March 13, 2013, 10:09 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

There's nothing wrong with lead, it's the profile of the bullet that makes the LRN bullets a poor choice for self-defense.

You don't have to move up to the high-dollar SD rounds to make a huge improvement. You can stick with a lead projectile, just use something besides LRN. Flat nose, semi-wadcutter or wadcutter lead bullets are far better choices for self-defense than LRN. The old semi-wadcutter hollowpoint bullet was quite effective, and that bullet can still be found in a few loadings. I believe Winchester offers it in .38Spl +P.
Old March 13, 2013, 11:30 PM   #9
Frasier

38 Special ammo is still available in most of my FLGS. Two weeks ago, I picked up a box of Winchester LSWC-HP +P for $35 for a box of 50.
Save the LRN for the range.
Old March 14, 2013, 04:45 AM   #10
CajunBass

Quote:
I'm sure the bullets that are loaded in commercial lead RN rounds are pretty hard to prevent leading.
Actually in my experience commercial LRN bullets seem to be pretty soft. They don't lead barrels because they're not being pushed very hard.

LRN are on the list of acceptable bullet profiles, but there isn't much below them.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 14, 2013, 05:51 AM   #11
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass
Actually in my experience commercial LRN bullets seem to be pretty soft. They don't lead barrels because they're not being pushed very hard.
That's my experience too. Generally those bullets are just about pure dead-soft lead. They don't get pushed very hard, so they're okay for general pistol work. They generally don't lead barrels if the pistol is set up correctly. With lead bullets, fit is everything and you don't need to worry about hardness if they fit correctly and you're not pushing them too fast. When you get into the higher ranges of speed and pressure, fit becomes extremely important, as does lubrication and hardness.

I'm not a fan of LRN bullets except in very limited circumstances. However, I shoot a lot of Keith-type, semi-wadcutter, and wide meplat bullets. When you consider that jacketed bullets were invented in the late 1800s, everything prior to that was lead bullets and simple lead bullets had killed everything on the planet.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old March 14, 2013, 10:24 AM   #12
deerslayer303

Thanks for all the replies guys. Lots of good info here. I haven't really seen ANY lead projectile round available commercially around here. Or maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
Old March 14, 2013, 10:29 AM   #13
ScottRiqui

Quote:
"The plain lead bullet is the most reliable projectile, it mushrooms consistently, and never breaks up"
I'm not sure what the speaker means by "plain lead bullet", but I don't think that a lead round-nose will "mushroom" much at all, much less "consistently".
Old March 14, 2013, 10:37 AM   #14
newfrontier45

Terrible choice, the only thing worse being FMJ or no gun at all. You need something that doesn't have to travel through several inches of flesh before it becomes destructive. The old FBI load (lead SWC/HP) is a vastly superior stopper.
Old March 14, 2013, 10:57 AM   #15
salvadore

I've just cast 250 dead soft 358156 HPs and will work up a load for my smaller shooters. I have a 454190 HP I use in a '73 win. copy that I intend to try in my SAAs with a softer alloy in a reduced load. I like Keith style bullets in my larger .44 spec.

Currently using a turn of the century, 1900 not 1999, design round nose about 200grs at approximately 750fps in my 396 mountain lite. its very accurate in all of my .44 spec. and wont rip your hand off in the 396 and do carry for sd on occasion.

I do carry round nose bullets in speed loaders for my sd shooters.
Old March 14, 2013, 05:48 PM   #16
g.willikers

Which is more effective?
A LRN that hits the heart or brain?
Or something "better" that hits a leg or arm?
Old March 14, 2013, 06:05 PM   #17
newfrontier45

Quote:
Which is more effective?
Is shot placement an excuse to use a vastly inferior projectile???
Old March 14, 2013, 06:32 PM   #18
.38SPL enthusiast

I think shot placement and penetration are among the best determiners of how well a bullet will work. That being said, not all lead round nose bullets are created equal. I carry the blunt RN Lyman 358430 bullets over a small charge of powder in my .38 when I'm out around the farm. In my experience, the bullet invariably tumbles creating a really large wound; and is consistently very effective against varmints.
Old March 14, 2013, 07:46 PM   #19
L_Killkenny

IMO, using FMJ's and LRN's is like stepping down in power and/or caliber. Using a LRN .357 as an example.............. .Is it now on par with a .38sp? How bout 9mm? .380? .32 H&R? I don't think any of will ever have enough info to make the call and know for sure how much worse it is. But one thing for sure, you do step down in effectiveness but retain ANY and ALL negatives that come with more recoil and bigger guns.

Quote:
My experience is the exact opposite. You can order lead bullets in many different hardness's but most off the shelf stuff you find at gun stores, box stores and gun shows are hard. Very hard and too hard in fact. Check the hardness of many of the common cast stuff and you'll see why it's referred too as "hard cast". Also, lead that is the right hardness and sized right can be pushed plenty fast. In many cases as fast as jacketed bullets. But most of the "hard cast" stuff (even sized right) will tend to lead a barrel faster than many softer lead alloys. Lead will indeed mushroom/deform if it's the right alloy. As a matter of fact if your lead isn't deforming some it's probably too hard.

Last edited by L_Killkenny; March 14, 2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old March 14, 2013, 07:51 PM   #20
SPEMack618

I've read, both on here and a couple of police history books, that the 158 grn LRN loading was oft referred to as the "widow maker".

However, this was due to the belief that it resulted in more dead police officers than dead bad guys.

However, the 158grn LRN and like 92 grn FMJ are generally the only non- +P loading for .38 Spl comercially available in my area.
Old March 14, 2013, 07:55 PM   #21
James K
Member In Memoriam

Gee, you guys don't understand the important issues. If folks used lead round nose bullets, the gunzines would have nothing to write about. Think of all those "mushroom" pictures we wouldn't have. Think of all those pages of flower-petal expanded bullets. Think of all those writers and photographers and editors in the unemployment lines.

Jim
Old March 14, 2013, 08:18 PM   #22
shouldazagged

The +P 158 grain .38 Special LSWCHP is alive and well. The old "FBI/Metro" load has been getting the job done from 2" and 4" revolvers for many years. I've carried it in my EDC for twelve years plus, and my head-of-the-bed Model 10 is loaded with it. Vastly preferable to LRN standard-pressure rounds.

Buffalo Bore sells one they bill as standard pressure and safe for all .38 Special guns that they claim exits a 2" barrel at over 1000 fps with minimal flash. I'll have to try that to believe it, but I may just do that.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:18 PM   #23
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers
Which is more effective?
If you can put a LRN in the heart or brain you can put a better bullet there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K
Think of all those writers and photographers and editors in the unemployment lines.
We certainly don't need any more folk on welfare. Another great reason for better and better bullets!
Old March 14, 2013, 09:25 PM   #24
peacefulgary

Sure, the LRN can stop an attacker....with a little luck and some very precise shot placement.

But these days it's still just about the worse self defense ammo one could choose.
Old March 15, 2013, 04:38 PM   #25
Bob Wright

The round nosed lead bullet is just not reliable. It will penetrate deeply some times, not penetrate at all other times.

Years ago, when Memphis Police carried the Model 10 S&W loaded with .38 Special with the 158 gr. RN bullet, a Memphis police officer was shot with his own revolver. The entrance wound was just below his nipple on the left side, the exit wound in the middle of his back near the left shoulder blade. Penetration?

None. The bullet struck between two ribs, skidded along in the groove between the ribs and exited in his back. A flesh wound.

Bob Wright