The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 1999, 10:48 PM   #1
Gunfounder

This one has me stumped: Can't find dies for the specific cartridge, all the brass is berdan primed except the expensive Fiocchi. A box of ammo costs almost as much as the gun. Trying to figure out some way to reform something to use.
I have used the 32 Colt(long) and 32 S&W (short) cases with some success but the cases bulge to fit the chamber, I used a set of 30 carbine dies and mild loads with an 88gr lead bullet sized to .312 dia. No crimp obviously with this set up and no gas seal at the chamber/throat gap. Any other suggestions to keep these pieces shooting?
Now I see why the Russians played roulett with this gun, one of the first with 7 chambers??? From an 1895 model and we think the 6+1 revolver is a new invention.
Old June 18, 1999, 11:51 AM   #2
cornered rat

Actually, revolvers with 9-12 shots were not uncommon in 19c Europe...some were 30-rounders, even!
Old June 18, 1999, 12:13 PM   #3
Gunfounder

Their governments probably didn't see anything wrong with having a high capacity revolver? Either that, or the consensus was that one or thirty didn't matter it only took one, seems to me that a double edged sword has an unlimited capacity only limited by the skill of the swordsman.
Much like using the sword, a skilled handgunner only has to drop the mag or carry a speed loader and they have the double edge. Practice makes perfect and perfect practice makes the center of mass seem small.
Old June 18, 1999, 03:36 PM   #4
cornered rat

Seems to me late in 19th century, the ruler of Montenegro (or some Balkan country) had required every adult male to own and be proficient with a revolver (some 10.4mm standard model, maybe rimfire). Russians before 1917 could buy any arms they wanted, including machine guns. Few did, except for hunting. Seems to me we are heading the same way...
Old June 18, 1999, 08:09 PM   #5
Gunfounder

Cornered Rat: Sure does appear that way. All of the civilized countries that go this route eventually fall don't they. Doesn't matter what the idiology is called(Rome,Tzar,Nazi, Communist,Monarchist Colony, Facist. etc..)when the people are disarmed the tyranny that replaces freedoms consumes itself and will collapse.
In the meantime, history tells me the people will prevail some sooner than later. Certainly all with bloodshed. As the American Indian believes that all things are circular in life, so goes civilizations.
Old June 21, 1999, 05:44 PM   #6
rangerco

Alledgedly, when I picked up my revolver many years ago, you could use .32/20 cases. They are a trifle short and you do not get the gas seal effect but load the bullet a little deep and get maximum available power. Standard case is slightly more tapered so not all guns will take 32/20's without "sizing..." but most. Factory ammo has bullet out too far. You can cut it off or file it off but that makes for some weird accuracy. .32 short and long are a joke in comparison. Dies?-- I have no idea unless you want to pay for custom. I wouldn't. Old West Scrounger has the broadest supply of goodies like this I know of. Might have dies... might have surplus ammo. But the old days are gone... good luck. You can decapp berdan with water, wear a swim suit and goggles, and I think Scrounger has RWS berdan primers... !!
Old June 21, 1999, 07:19 PM   #7
Gunfounder

thanks for the ideas, can use all the help on this one I can get.
Old June 22, 1999, 01:00 PM   #8
Nestor Rivera

7.62 Nagant may use the 32s&W Long ( I have done this my self) the cartridge will not gas seal but it does work well, Century and others sell a 32ACP cyloinder for about $50 if you want to go that way. I personaly use 32s&w Long.

Really neat gun Give it a go
Old June 27, 1999, 03:03 PM   #9
JA

I have three nygant pistols in calibers 7.62nygant,.32acp,and 7.62x25mm. The .32acp is a cylinder from SOG for $50. It is cheap to shoot and is in the .22 recoil catagory. The 7.62x25mm cylinder was reamed by a gunsmith in MO who advertises in Shotgun News $50. This conversion makes the nygant a very affordable shooter. Judging by the recoil it puts this pistol in the magnum class. It recoils slightly more than the Fiocchi ammo. Which seems pretty hot compared to the Russian surplus target ammo.
The dies are avalable from www.huntingtons.com part# 56272 for $91.80
I would recomend the 7.62x25mm conversion to make the pistol cost effective to shoot.