The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 24, 2016, 08:03 AM   #26
g.willikers

Quote:
Not all semi-automatic rifles or handguns have a hold open feature
That's probably the best bet, the ones that do not reset the action to even allow a dry fire after the last round.
A couple of my autoloaders are supposed to do that, but only when they're in the mood.
Can't actually rely on it, though.
Old July 26, 2016, 09:58 AM   #27
SGW Gunsmith

Seems like some folks will go to any extreme to try and prove a feeble point. I recommend using the dry wall anchors to those who WANT to. It's not a mandatory proposition, so it's interesting to read that someone would get their "Depends" soiled over the suggestion.

Common sense should always prevail when firearms are involved. Yes, repeated smacks from the firing pin will indeed wear it's way through the rim of the plastic wall anchor, unless the wall anchor is rotated slightly for the next hit. I apologize, I guess I expected ALL of the more astute visitors here, would understand that assumption.

I've never seen a chamber mouth ding come about as the result of using a "precautionary", cheap item, such as the recommended plastic wall anchor, or do what is highly recommended by the "Hacks 'R Us", No. 1 rated school of gunsmithery, "remove the firing pin from your Ruger Mark pistol bolt, and dry fire away". Use what ever you like to prevent a chamber mouth ding that's not easily repaired, maybe a "gummy bear" would work just as well also.

Last edited by SGW Gunsmith; July 26, 2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old July 27, 2016, 01:49 AM   #28
Bill DeShivs

I generally don't post unless I know what I'm talking about.
When someone states that I'm full of s--t, I'll most certainly respond.
Read what I said again, then read it again after that. I said nothing about chamber peening. I was talking about firing pin breakage- just in case your reading comprehension is as bad as it appears.
An apology is in order.
Old July 27, 2016, 01:55 AM   #29
Cheapshooter

Seems after searching forum after forum after forum. Gun forums, shooting forums, hunting forums, and gunsmithing forums this forum, and one particular member is the only reference I can find that says drywall anchors are not sufficient for dry firing.
Good to know that the one person on earth that knows this in on TFL.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 27, 2016, 09:55 AM   #30
SGW Gunsmith

Concerning the just above post. You sir, are absolutely correct. The recommendations for using a "plastic dry-wall anchor" as a cheap snap-cap to prevent chamber mouth dings, and firing pin tip breakage, are a proven method used by many firearms experts with "REAL" world credentials involved with the use of .22 rimfire guns.

Geeez! If somebody doesn't want to use dry-wall anchors for the purpose suggested, there's no need to strangle your poodle!

I've gone back and read all the responses, and I haven't read anything from anyone stating anyone here is full of "excrement". Opinions differ, get over it. An "apology"? I wouldn't camp out by the phone if I were you.

Last edited by SGW Gunsmith; July 27, 2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old July 27, 2016, 10:40 AM   #31
SGW Gunsmith

Here's an interesting excerpt from another .22 forum web-site. It's not a condemnation of any proposed process, just some experience from a person trying a suggested method.

"An empty shell case will deform and stick in the chamber. I have done it on bad advice from another forum.

Regards, Jim"

So all are aware, the rim of the .22 Long Rifle cartridge case is the thinnest area involved with that cartridge. It needs to be, because that's where the primer mix is and the firing pin tip needs to "crush" the rim to ignite the primer mix so that the cartridge makes noise.
Hopefully, the tip of the firing pin hasn't walked off the job due to operator error.
Old July 27, 2016, 02:07 PM   #32
Bill DeShivs

You guys do whatever you want.
All I'm trying to do is prevent damage to your guns.
If you can't understand my reasoning, keep on doing what you are doing. They are your guns-not mine.
It's interesting how some people simply like to attack people who are trying to help. I'm not some kid who has no experience.
Old July 27, 2016, 02:26 PM   #33
SIGSHR

One shooter I knew years ago showed me how to fold a piece of rubber-from an old bicycle inner tube-to make a dry firing device.
Old July 27, 2016, 02:40 PM   #34
SGW Gunsmith

Quote: "You guys do whatever you want."

Gee..........thanks for your permission. You really think you're being "ATTACKED" because some disagree with your position on dry firing? You may have a lot of experience ( ), but you sure have a lot of growing up to do.
Old July 31, 2016, 10:42 PM   #35
jdscholer

Let me start by saying that I am not a gunsmith, and often not very wise. I guess that I could be considered fairly lucky sometimes.
My beloved old Colt Woodsman, (from 1938 I believe) has been dry fired with no protection probably eleventy bazillion times, and the chamber mouth looks as sweet and virginal as Miley Cyrus when she was nine.
It also has an excellent trigger, -- maybe a connection?
I'll admit to having been a pathological dry firer throughout my life, and generally consider it to be harmless on most center-fire guns. As I said, I'm fairly lucky.
Maybe we should start a registry of guns which are documented safe for this practice - or not. I'm of the opinion that dry fire is as valuable to good marksmanship as live fire. But I'll only do it with my own guns. And if I find any of my rimfires with damage, I'll quit it, at least with those. jd
Old August 1, 2016, 07:06 AM   #36
Reloadron

Ruger 10/22 instruction manual page 19:
8. With the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, push the safety to the “off”
position and pull the trigger to decock it. The rifle can be “dry fired” for
practice as long as it is empty and pointed in a safe direction.

Some you can and some you can't. I have some of each in .22 pistols, revolvers and rifles. Since it's your rifle I agree with do whatever trips your trigger.

Ron
Old August 1, 2016, 10:28 PM   #37
JWT

The entire conversation is somewhat amusing. Snap caps are not expensive. Why try to substitute for snap caps? Even if there a minimal risk I certainly won't take it with my guns.

DeShivs comments certainly make sense to me.
Old August 3, 2016, 12:31 PM   #38
Clark

When I was 12 in 1963 my father pulled out his Iver Johnson Model X 22 bolt action single shot rifle he got at a pawn shop when he was 12.

It would not shoot. Dry firing had peened back the firing pin from running into the barrel. I blame irresponsible younger siblings.

He removed the firing pin and pounded on it until it had a point again.

That rifle worked fine as long we had it until 1970 when one of my irresponsible younger siblings lost it. I have since bought another Model X and I can see the firing pin design error.

MacFarland says in a book that if you want to start a fight with gunsmiths, bring up firing pin shape. I don't think it makes much difference until you are running 85 kpsi in 6mmBR with CCI 450 primers and you don't want piercings.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?