The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 24, 2011, 06:51 PM   #1
bigwurm

Reminton model 6?

Hey guy and gals, need some help for my dad. He just recently aquired what we think is a remigton model 6. the only numbers we can find are S74784. the paten date says July 22 1902, its 35 inches long has a 1 piece stock and a drop block in front of the hammer. any info would be of great help can show pictures if needed.
Old January 24, 2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Terry A

http://www.remington.com/products/ar...k/model-6.aspx
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old January 24, 2011, 07:42 PM   #3
bigwurm

remington model 6

thanks terry, for the super fast response i guess the 1 piece stock was the work of a handy man later on. Is this one of the erlier rifles?
Old January 24, 2011, 10:53 PM   #4
Scorch

I have never seen a Model 6 with a 1-piece stock, although it is certainly possible to do (although it would have cost more than a whole new rifle). The Model 6 was designed as a cheap learner's rifle, generally called "boys' rifles". It was not a high-priced rifle, although they would stand up to pretty rough treatment commonly dished out by young shooters. I have seen some with stocks made out of crate slats and wired together, and a pistol-grip stock carved out of a tree branch (apparently with a draw knife) that just happened to have the right shape to be a pistol grip. There is some interest in all turn-of-the-Century single-shot rifles, value for Model 6 rifles is around $150.
Old January 25, 2011, 03:04 AM   #5
Bill DeShivs

I have one that belonged to my dad as a kid. Handed down to me when I was 12. Great little guns. The "Improved" models......weren't.