The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 17, 2011, 05:20 PM   #1
oneounceload

Several guns, need some help

My friend acquired 6 guns from a neighbor a few days before he died. He has no desire to own these and I'm trying to help him get an idea on what he can expect.

These guns were stored in a storage shed here in Florida, so conditions on all guns a "decent for their age and climate"

1 - Ballester-Molina 1911 clone, no grip safety, serial 379XX

2 - Stevens 67E 12 gauge, serial number E8106XX

3 - Marlin 782 .22WMR, serial number 26647XXX

4 - Traditions Deer Hunter, .54 BP w/ composite stock, serial 4-13-001980-XX

5 - Norinco SKS, serial number 094XX

6 - Mauser, Turkish, model 1893, made 1894, converted 1935, serial 140XX

Thanks for any help
Old January 17, 2011, 07:37 PM   #2
gyvel

Your description of condition is really too vague to make an educated guess as to value. I would suggest you look in any American Rifleman magazine and use their definitions for condition, which tend to be somewhat more specific.

None of those guns have any really great value (you couldn't retire off of them), but, for example, if they are 95% or better (and assuming not refinished), the SKS is probably worth up to $250.00 on the open market, the Ballester could go as high as $300.00, the Turk Mauser $100.00-$125.00 to the right person, and the rest would be sold as utility hunting guns for whatever you could get for them.

Now, having lived in Florida for most of my life, I have a suspicion that, since they were "stored in a shed," they are going to be somewhat rusted, which will obviously greatly reduce the values.

To get an idea of values, either get a "Blue Book" or check on Gunbroker.com, but remember to only take into consideration those guns which have actually sold, not the ones with no bids.
Old January 17, 2011, 07:57 PM   #3
oneounceload

You are correct that condition is NOT in the typical 98% range - why I said what I did

I do not have a BB, so I have no idea what even a 60% is worth
Old January 17, 2011, 10:51 PM   #4
publius

Take some good pics and post them, or better yet, go to the bookstore and get a Blue Book, always good to have on hand.
Old January 17, 2011, 10:59 PM   #5
GoOfY-FoOt

PM sent...