The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 20, 2011, 05:02 PM   #1
MagicD

Trying to Identify a British Bull-Dog

I am trying to find out any information on the gun in the attached photo - manufacturer, year, value... Can anyone help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0025.JPG (156.3 KB, 529 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0015.jpg (241.7 KB, 440 views)
File Type: jpg gun.jpg (71.1 KB, 346 views)
Old February 20, 2011, 07:33 PM   #2
David the Gnome

I have no idea but that is one neat looking little revolver. It certainly has a lot of character. Does it have any writing on it anywhere?
Old February 21, 2011, 12:57 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

With the folding trigger my guess is that it's French or Belgian.

There should be proof marks somewhere on the gun that will allow you to determine nation of manufacture and at least narrow down a year range, but I'm guessing 1870s to 1890s.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 21, 2011, 04:21 AM   #4
kadima

Google for "Velodog"....

K.
Old February 21, 2011, 01:16 PM   #5
darkgael

Bulldog

It's not a Velodog.
It is, as noted earlier, probably a Belgian "British Bulldog." That appears to be a particularly nice specimen. The Bulldogs that I have (2) are chambered for the 380 Revolver cartridge, though the .38 Short Colt will work. The cartridge requires a heeled bullet and is powered by a BP load - no smokeless in that gun. I make serviceable cartridges using .38 S&W brass and bullets from GAD Custom.
There is a nice article about Bulldog pistols by George Layman in the 2010 edition of Gun Digest.
Pete
Old February 21, 2011, 01:16 PM   #6
RJay

Velo Dogs as Small revolvers in low power chamberings ( named after the original Velo Dog by Galand ), such as 5.5 MM, .22 Short and even the .25 ACP ( for shooting stray dogs ). If it is marked British Bull Dog then
it was made by Forehand and Wadworth, However I doubt that because Forehand never made a folding Trigger Bulldog. If it is marked New British Bulldog then it was made by the Neuman Brothers of Liege, Belgium, however I doubt that because the Neuman Revolvers had a standard trigger. Is it marked British Bull Dog or is that just what one of your buddies called it? With out knowing the markings on the top of the Barrel I would guess say it was a small personal defence revolver made in great quantities for sale in Europe and the US. If it does have the ELG markings, the Belgium guns were made by the ship load and sold for as little as $1.98 in the old catalogs of the early 1900's. These are very common and the value is low, maybe a hundred dollars to someone who collect these type items. Now, are there markings on top of the barrel and any proof marks on the cylinder? or are you going to keep it a secret With out valid and complete information only a WAG can be given.

Last edited by RJay; February 21, 2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old February 21, 2011, 04:47 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just IMHO, but I don't like to use the term "velo dog" as a generic for any small European revolver of that period. The Velodog was a long 5.5mm (.22 cal) cartridge, resembling the .22 WMR, but centerfire, and revolvers made for it have long cylinders. Most of the inexpensive European revolvers of that era were in .380 revolver, .320 revolver, or later in .32 ACP and .25 ACP, not 5.5 Velodog. But the term Velodog has caught the gun collectors fancy, so almost any old European revolver, especially one with a folding trigger, is incorrectly called a Velodog.

Jim
Old February 21, 2011, 10:21 PM   #8
MagicD

Markings

There are two marks on the gun - the one on the handle which I am hoping is an identifiable trademark and then an "x" with an "*" over it - picture is attached. Does this help anyone identify it gun better? I am also attaching an image that shows the front of the gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0039.jpg (59.9 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0038.jpg (113.3 KB, 175 views)
Old February 21, 2011, 11:29 PM   #9
RJay

If you remove the cylinder , there are usually proof markings on the rear face.
Old February 21, 2011, 11:54 PM   #10
mapsjanhere

The X with star looks like a belgium inspector's mark. You should find the perron (looks like a candlestick) and/or ELG in oval somewhere on the gun.
Old February 22, 2011, 09:58 PM   #11
SDC

The dual back-to-back "C"'s on the grips was a logo used by Charles Clement of Belgium, but there should also be other Belgian proofs on the revolver and the cylinder; you can see a smaller version of this revolver at http://www.littlegun.info/arme%20bel...ement%20gb.htm , about 2/3's of the way down the page. If you pull the ejector pin out the front and rotate the housing out of the way, you should be able to pull the cylinder pin out the front of the frame and let the cylinder fall out the side of the frame with the loading gate.
HTH.
Old February 22, 2011, 11:11 PM   #12
MagicD

Thank you

Thank you - I do believe that SDC hit it on the head - as this looks just like the Charles Clement gun referenced on the page in his reply. All helpful answers and I have learned a lot. Appreciate it all.
Old March 11, 2011, 10:56 PM   #13
Gbro

Although not exact, but i have pictures of revolvers that look very much like yours,
Radfahrer- und Damen-Revolver
The closest is No. 1475 which is in Kal. 22 (ca. 6 mm)
There are Kal 320's and Kal 230's also

From a 1910 Deutche Waffenfabrik Georg Knaak, Berlin

Tags
british , bull-dog , bulldog