The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 2, 2011, 08:23 PM   #1
danfd13

Spanish Mauser Info

I am looking for some info for a Spanish Mauser I bought. The serial number is OT-37038. All the numbers match on the gun but the one that is on the bolt. It is 718. Just trying to figure out how old this gun is and what it is worth. Be greatful for any info I can get.
Old March 3, 2011, 08:14 AM   #2
mapsjanhere

The Spanish used Mauser style rifles for close to a century. A picture would really help, so would a description of the markings, especially the proof marks.
Old March 3, 2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Snakedriver

http://masterton.us/Spanmauhome

Click on the link I provided above, they are the authority on Spanish Mausers. I have a 7 X 57 cal. "un-marked 1916 Spanish Mauser I bought in 1967 for under $20 out of the Motgomery Ward's catalog. It seemed to be almost in new condition. Some folks think the Spanish-made Mauser's are inferior to the later '98's made in Germany, but I've shot countless hundreds of rounds through mine and it is very accurate and still tight as the day I got it.

Many of these guns started as 1893 Mausers and were re-arsenaled and converted at Oviedo, Spain around 1916. Many were converted to ".308" caliber, but be cautioned it's not .308 Winchester, but rather is closer to 7.62 NATO pressure. Chamber pressure for whatever round used should be kept in the range of 46,000 cup. Commercial 7 X 57 ammo available today will meet that pressure.

Here's a picture of mine:

Old March 10, 2011, 02:17 PM   #4
PetahW

FWIW, ANY milsurp Mauser with a mis-matched bolt (i.e. bolt not numbered to the receiver) should be at the least checked by a gunsmith for proper headspace, nevermind the chambering.