The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 28, 2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Gary Bongrazio

Interarms Virginia Dragoon 357m

Hi everyone...need some help, please....Just bought used Interarms Virginia Dragoon 357 mag.7.5 barrell(?) Says "We The People 1776-1976" on butt of pistol...2 questions...Can anyone tell me what the pistol background is, why th "WE" on butt......and, dumb me already cracked the wood on right grip..I need to know where to buy replacement grips. Thanks Gary
Old February 28, 2011, 09:27 AM   #2
ohen cepel

Many of their models had sayings engraved on the grip frame, not a special model indicator.

I think Ruger grips may fit it, but am not sure. That would be my start point though since the company is long gone.

There were a few different versions of their products. Some were great, some were very good, and then not so good in the end.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old February 28, 2011, 09:31 AM   #3
a7mmnut

Interarms imported the older models (before 1976) from Hammerli, and were very fine shooters made with high quality. They were extremely strong, the .44's being made 10% larger than the Ruger Super Blackhawk. I owned the newer stainless model .44 mag. with a 7 1/2" barrel. Yours should show "Interarms", then "Midland, Va." on the barrel or frame if it was one of the last produced before 1986. They incorporated the "Swiss Safe", which was two grooves machined into the cylinder pin that allowed it to be moved rearward to positively block the hammer. Along with the standard half cock notch on the hammer, this allows the gun to be carried with a full six rounds in the cylinder in a completely safe condition, and was a totally unique feature belonging solely to this design. Mine had a wonderful trigger, and would outshoot my Ruger. I miss her unto this day. Pachmayr made replacement grips for Interarms in the Presentation series, which I also replaced.

-7-

Last edited by a7mmnut; February 28, 2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: addendum
Old February 28, 2011, 12:29 PM   #4
Scorch

Quote:
Says "We The People 1776-1976" on butt of pistol...Can anyone tell me what the pistol background is, why th "WE" on butt
"We The People" are the first 3 words of the preamble to the Constitution of the United States of America. Only problem I see with that is that the firearm is a Declaration of Independence Bicentennial (1776-1976)commemorative, not a US Constitution commemorative (that would have been 1987, since the Constitution was written in 1787). No matter. Grips for the Virginia Dragoon are available here.